collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 36
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

November 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: What were they thinking?! toy lines  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Absolutely Abbeylicious
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Pet Collector
  • 100% Good Accented Rottish Ghoul
    • View Profile
What were they thinking?! toy lines
« on: April 05, 2018, 12:20:36 PM »
I am usually okay for most toy lines, they're fine even if I don't 'get' them. But sometimes I REALLY gotta know why they're there.

I play games that have ads, and one was for a toy line called 'Poopees'. And yes, it's poop and pee (and fart)-based squishable figures with punny names, that come in toilet roll/toilet/portapotty containers. To top it off, the animation for the logo is a ... 'fresh' poop. It's seriously gross.

What other toy lines make you go 'WHAT?!'
If I have not replied to you, please give me a PM! Super-busy and may miss some messages!

Offline dragonlady

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: What were they thinking?! toy lines
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 01:00:26 PM »
^This. A thousand times this.

Also Flushies (along the same lines as Poopeez) and a Pull My finger game. *head desk*

I'm also very confused by the game Pieface, why is this a popular toy? It's just a lame attempt at a toy.
Where oh where has my Ghoulia gone? Oh where oh where could she be? (Seriously Mattel, where is she??!!)

Offline Kara Zor-El

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 01:07:50 PM »
Those MGA Poopsie Pets were ahead of their time, apparently...yuck!
I make the dolls Mattel won't.

Offline Konzern

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 01:26:21 PM »
Anything poop always confuses me.  Yeah, I laugh at the occasional toilet humor, but poo themed toys make no sense.  Can't forget that one "game"  Don't Step In It.  You're blind folded and have to avoid fake poop piles. 
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Absolutely Abbeylicious
  • Pet Collector
  • 100% Good Accented Rottish Ghoul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 01:56:37 PM »
Anything poop always confuses me.  Yeah, I laugh at the occasional toilet humor, but poo themed toys make no sense.  Can't forget that one "game"  Don't Step In It.  You're blind folded and have to avoid fake poop piles.

Oh my Ra yes, I saw that recently, I still don't believe that's real!
If I have not replied to you, please give me a PM! Super-busy and may miss some messages!

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 02:02:55 PM »
^This. A thousand times this.

Also Flushies (along the same lines as Poopeez) and a Pull My finger game. *head desk*

I'm also very confused by the game Pieface, why is this a popular toy? It's just a lame attempt at a toy.

Haha, I actually love those Flushies. XD The characters are more “mutant-sewer-creature” based, as opposed to the Poopeez, which are... y’know... human waste. The Flushies designs remind me a bit of old-school TMNT characters. X3

The biggest headscratcher for me is that “Googly Eyes” game... It’s basically Pictionary, except the players wear glasses that obscure, blur and distort their vision while they draw. So... it’s a game where we all give ourselves headaches, eye-strain, and nausea for fun? >_<; Pass.

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 03:20:17 PM »
I agree!! I cannot stand anything poop themed.  I saw plungers shaped like the poop character (?) and I thought, this is SO GROSS. 
One toy I do not care for is the "Grossery Gang".  I think they're kinda like Garbage Pail Kids, except they have actual figures.  Are kids (boys in particular?) that into such things?  What's wrong with super-heroes, military figures, etc.???
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 04:54:09 PM »
I don't mind some gross humor (I collect Grossery Gang occasionally and I probably would have gotten the Poopsy Pets if I wasn't stuck buying a doll I wasn't crazy about with them) but the Poopees take it way too far.

The Pimple Pete game is also really disgusting.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline biofreak659

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Glue-Seepage Head
  • Lab Goblin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 11:25:22 PM »
Yeah, I can't stand the grossery gang, and it seems like no one else can either. Everytime I see them in store they haven't been touched. I have never in my life seen someone actually buy them.

In the opposite direction, I'm not a big fan of lol surprise, hatchimals, or Shopkins. It's partially design and partially concept. It just kind of bugs me (esp with Shopkins) they way they're marketed to kids. And with lol surprise and hatchimals, I just don't understand them at all. I love blind boxes, but I don't love blind toys, see?

Also Bratz babyz. Who thought of that? Why?

Offline Fairy Tale Man

• Down Undah Diva
  • Ever After High Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 04:37:10 PM »
I don't care much for blind toys in general. If I'm going to spend money, I'd like to see what I'm getting. I also don't get why people would spend money on a little rubber figure of an object with a face. :/

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Monster Hunter
  • "there are tiny squishy MH tiny people"
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 05:19:18 PM »
On the theme of pooping, why does Barbie have so many pooping animals?
Why are there so many babydolls you have to feed, they poop, then change them?
Do kids actually like this stuff? Even as a kid that boggled my mind. -Real- babies scream and poop and cry and need feedings, isn't that a perk to a doll, it's just pretend? xD

As a kid I never really played anything like that out... xD As a little kid with my My Little Ponies, the only reason any of them would "have to go to the bathroom" was oddly if I was just bored of their character and that was their excuse to leave. They'd go upstairs in the G1 nursery bathroom and just never come back. xD
Also Esbayne on the MLP Arena, PonyIsland, and pretty much everywhere else.

:kitty:

Offline biofreak659

• Glue-Seepage Head
  • Lab Goblin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 05:58:18 PM »
I don't care much for blind toys in general. If I'm going to spend money, I'd like to see what I'm getting. I also don't get why people would spend money on a little rubber figure of an object with a face. :/

Well, I tend to only get them if I at least like all of the possible figures, otherwise, yeah, disappointment. I also love keychains (my keys weighed over a pound in college-we weighed them), so cutesy small things I adore. Don't like squishy things though :/ they just get dirty.

Offline 8BrickMario

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 07:30:46 AM »
Blind toys don't strike me either, unless they're blind-packaged elements of a bigger, better toyline (like LEGO and Playmobil's figure series). The toys are usually static and low in detail or quality, and it seems like a waste of plastic and money to me especially because there's usually no way to figure out what you're getting. I guarantee these kids are gonna have a junk drawer full of them in the future, wondering why so many ended up in their possession.
My photo thread:           My drawing thread:

Offline Wardah

• Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 10:42:07 AM »
Blind toys don't strike me either, unless they're blind-packaged elements of a bigger, better toyline (like LEGO and Playmobil's figure series). The toys are usually static and low in detail or quality, and it seems like a waste of plastic and money to me especially because there's usually no way to figure out what you're getting. I guarantee these kids are gonna have a junk drawer full of them in the future, wondering why so many ended up in their possession.

Did you ever collect trading cards as a kid? Or those stickers that went in the books? If you got duplicates you would trade with other kids on the playground during recess. Same thing with these blind bag toys. Tbh as an adult collector I prefer when there's codes or hacks to let me cheat or they come in bigger packs where most of them are visible since the only way to trade is online and that adds shipping.
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline LightningBolt

• Undead lunatic
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Monster Hunter
  • Give me envy give me malice give me your attention
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 06:12:15 PM »
Do kids actually like this stuff?
I did! Well, not baby dolls, but animals.

I was weird, I know.  ^^;

Personally, a lot of the times mentioned here sound pretty funny and cool to me, tho I am not fond of blind bags/boxes in general.

Offline 8BrickMario

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 09:38:13 AM »

Did you ever collect trading cards as a kid? Or those stickers that went in the books? If you got duplicates you would trade with other kids on the playground during recess. Same thing with these blind bag toys. Tbh as an adult collector I prefer when there's codes or hacks to let me cheat or they come in bigger packs where most of them are visible since the only way to trade is online and that adds shipping.

I personally never did that, but I understand the trading idea. I just don't think most blind toys are worth having in the first place. Most of them are solid lumps of plastic with a little paint, and I say this having once enjoyed things like that. So it's reaching a fair audience with kids but I don't understand the appeal to adults unless the toys are really nice quality.
My photo thread:           My drawing thread:

Offline Wardah

• Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 10:13:13 PM »

I personally never did that, but I understand the trading idea. I just don't think most blind toys are worth having in the first place. Most of them are solid lumps of plastic with a little paint, and I say this having once enjoyed things like that. So it's reaching a fair audience with kids but I don't understand the appeal to adults unless the toys are really nice quality.

For me it's all about if the design of the sculpts appeals to me or not. Some, like Shopkins and Grossery Gang, actually pack a lot of detail into their sculpts.

Offline furyXIV

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • in parentheses, let me stress the fact clearly
    • View Profile
    • Drawings, Plush, and Dolls
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 11:38:50 PM »
The new big eyed beanie babies are a line that I just can't stand. TY you had a perfectly good line of stuffed toys, why did you ruin it by trying to make it "more cute" ugh.

And this isn't so much toy line related, but poop keeps coming up so, can we all just take a moment to be disgusted at how realistic the poop in the Furby Connect app is? Like why would they do that?
I dream of a day where I have shelves

Offline Jabroniville

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 06:51:10 AM »
Transformers released a line of toys that had action features instead of transformations. TRANSFORMERS. THAT DIDN'T TRANSFORM.

The Barnyard Battlers. Which featured pigs, sheep and other farm animals engaging in warfare with each other. Large vehicles and everything.

Food Fighters as well. Big, ugly piles of food (looked almost like the Grossery Gang), but with big muscular limbs.

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2018, 08:07:27 AM »
The new big eyed beanie babies are a line that I just can't stand. TY you had a perfectly good line of stuffed toys, why did you ruin it by trying to make it "more cute" ugh.

And this isn't so much toy line related, but poop keeps coming up so, can we all just take a moment to be disgusted at how realistic the poop in the Furby Connect app is? Like why would they do that?

A lot of dolls I used to like are going for the big eyed look lately.  It *is* cute, but only in limited amounts.  There's too much cuteness now. 

I can't stand all the "play" poop either.  Why is there a need for a poop shaped toy?  (Or a poop shaped pillow with a smiley face, for that matter?)

Another one that seems to be popular and is kinda offputting is the pregnant dolls or animals.  I saw the Barbie with pregnant dog and thought, do kids really want this?
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4