collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 32
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

December 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

Author Topic: What is the “ideal” storage method?  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
What is the “ideal” storage method?
« on: April 03, 2018, 10:15:47 PM »
Spring is here (well, not in Michigan, but I digress...), and it’s time again to take on the insurmountable task of organizing my collection. XP

I’ve been storing my undisplayed dolls in cardboard boxes, with layers of bubble wrap for safety. This makes accessing my collection pretty difficult; the boxes are flimsy, hard to stack, and it’s a hassle to dig through them all to find a doll I’m looking for.

I’m looking to trade up, and I’ve been debating my options... What would be the best/safest/most convenient storage containers for my “doll archives”? I’ve seen people use canvas totes, plastic drawers, and the like... I like the idea of plastic, stackable bins, but I’ve heard that it’s bad to store dolls/figures in bags or boxes that can’t “breathe” (something about trapped moisture, molding, and/or rubber deterioration?).

I’m willing to invest some cash in a nice storage solution, but I’m just not sure which way to go. What should I do?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 10:19:46 PM by Nemesis »

Offline VoidChilde

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Genderless Faerie
    • View Profile
Re: What is the “ideal” storage method?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 12:37:50 AM »
Plastic bins can be used but there needs to be some ventilation (they can't be air-tight) because if moisture gets trapped in the bins, mold can develop. Cardboard isn't a great option if the dolls are in direct contact with it because depending on your cardboard (how it was made, where it comes from, etc), there could be chemicals so you need to wrap your dolls in acid-free tissue paper if you use cardboard (which is also why some never unboxed dolls still get damaged, because most cardboards aren't a safe long-term option).

The biggest thing, especially with MH dolls, is that you shouldn't store them touching each other, because they can transfer colours, so there should always be a protective layer between each doll (I have a Catrine who was stored with a Lorna before I bought it, leading to colour transfer on her white skin). I don't have enough dolls to need storage yet but I think a good solution could be those fabric clothing drawers/storage case that you can slide under your bed or whatever. I was looking at some on IKEA and they have screen vents in the corners to allow air circulation and they're designed to protect clothing from dust so it would definitely work for dolls. Plus, it keeps the dolls away from direct lighting that could damage them too.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 10:46:43 AM »
I don't know about ideal, but my favorite way to store dolls is inside plastic bread bags.  You can buy packs at Walmart or in bulk on Amazon.  They're very cheap and the size of a loaf of bread, so plenty long enough for the doll.  The bag is lightweight, so it doesn't add bulk to the doll or take up a lot of room; and it fully protects them from rubbing against other dolls or the inside of the box that I store them in (which is just a plain, but very large, cardboard shipping box).

Offline Nemesis

• Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 12:44:23 PM »
Thanks for the ideas, guys! I’m definitely going to get some of those bread bags—that would make storage a lot easier. I wasn’t really aware of the color transfer issue... I just tried not to let the boxed-up dolls “chafe” against each other, for fear of paint scratches. :x I hope I stored them safely enough...

My main issue is... well... the sheer BULK of my collection. I really need a way to store everything so that it’s space-friendly but also accessible. Right now, with the cardboard boxes, it’s a pain to stack and unstack them, find what I’m looking for, etc. I’m considering something like these or these, but I don’t want to run into any unforseen pitfalls. ^_^; My current organization system (and I use that term loosely, lol) is just a mess, and something’s gotta give. :(
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 12:48:14 PM by Nemesis »

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 01:13:59 PM »
I’m considering something like these or these, but I don’t want to run into any unforseen pitfalls. ^_^;

I've never used those canvas storage bins, so I can't comment on them (though they do look very nice); but I have some of those plastic drawers that I currently use for storing accessories and doll clothing, and have formerly used for storing dolls and action figures.  I've never had any problems with moisture or mold—and I live in a very humid climate.  They're not airtight enough for moisture to get trapped in there.  And because the drawers are clear plastic, they won't transfer dyes to your dolls.  So the only thing that you would have to be careful of would be your dolls touching one another, and the bread bags will solve that.

Offline respositob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 03:56:43 PM »
I’m considering something like these or these, but I don’t want to run into any unforseen pitfalls. ^_^;

I've never used those canvas storage bins, so I can't comment on them (though they do look very nice); but I have some of those plastic drawers that I currently use for storing accessories and doll clothing, and have formerly used for storing dolls and action figures.  I've never had any problems with moisture or mold—and I live in a very humid climate.  They're not airtight enough for moisture to get trapped in there.  And because the drawers are clear plastic, they won't transfer dyes to your dolls.  So the only thing that you would have to be careful of would be your dolls touching one another, and the bread bags will solve that.

I second the idea of storage drawers (specifically the stack-able ones, since they take up less floor space). I currently use them to store my dolls, and so far it's worked out great. And if you want to get super organized, you can buy multiple drawers and store the dolls by type, line, and/or character.

I don't individually bag my dolls, but after reading this thread, I think I should start doing that! I never realized that dyes could transfer onto the dolls. I guess that's where my Ghouls' Getaway Spectra got the unexplained black mark on her head... :|
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 03:59:52 PM by respositob »

Offline snowblossum

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 03:41:20 PM »
My Nefera got a face make eek!!! And An Apple ended up with a blue nose and blue on her forehead. The zit cream works wonders tho and the marks are fading

Offline Cece

• Trade Count: (0)
  • First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 11:55:41 PM »
I wrap each of mine in white tissue paper, tape a label to the outside, and store them upright in big plastic totes. I keep a record of what's where on a little spreadsheet that gets updated on a weekly basis.

Offline Operetta82

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 12:44:54 PM »
I use the large plastic drawers myself. I just recently reorganized and my personal collection of dolls I have on stands standing in a large bin. I may need to look into the bread bags now that I am hearing about transfers. Where would I find those at Walmart?
Live as the world is as it should be, to show it what it can be.
Want List SALES

Offline Mickey Rumble

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 03:50:55 PM »
The ideal way to store your dolls is at my house. I promise I'll give them back  :whistle:

Offline Nemesis

• Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 04:27:31 PM »
Alright, so I ordered a ton of bread bags, and they’re making cleaning and organization a DREAM. :D I wish I’d known about them years ago!

Now I’m just trying to decide on the best drawers or bins. :/ I’m having apprehensions about canvas, because I’ve had canvas drawers literally disintegrate on me in the past. On the other hand, plastic gets expensive fast, and I need a LOT of bins. Is there a good place to buy them online at a decent price?

The ideal way to store your dolls is at my house. I promise I'll give them back  :whistle:

:haha:

Offline respositob

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 10:46:12 AM »
Alright, so I ordered a ton of bread bags, and they’re making cleaning and organization a DREAM. :D I wish I’d known about them years ago!

Now I’m just trying to decide on the best drawers or bins. :/ I’m having apprehensions about canvas, because I’ve had canvas drawers literally disintegrate on me in the past. On the other hand, plastic gets expensive fast, and I need a LOT of bins. Is there a good place to buy them online at a decent price?

The cheapest place I've found plastic storage bins online is Walmart.com. They have 17" x 14" x 10" stackable drawers for around $10 a piece. I use the same drawers and so far it's worked out great.

Offline Nemesis

• Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 11:45:28 AM »

The cheapest place I've found plastic storage bins online is Walmart.com. They have 17" x 14" x 10" stackable drawers for around $10 a piece. I use the same drawers and so far it's worked out great.

Sounds perfect! ^_^ Do you have a link to the stackable drawers you’re talking about? I’m having trouble finding the exact ones you’re describing...

Offline respositob

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 06:05:58 PM »

Sounds perfect! ^_^ Do you have a link to the stackable drawers you’re talking about? I’m having trouble finding the exact ones you’re describing...

Here ya go!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-27-Qt-26-L-Stacking-Drawer-White-Available-in-a-Case-of-4-or-Single-Unit/13220046

Offline Nemesis

• Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile

Offline lilyflower332

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 08:42:53 PM »
I'm a bit late to the party, but i know myfroggystuff uses diagonal magazine or paper holders? you can find pretty ones at Micheals or even your local dollar general. You can stand dolls in them, with or without stands. They're likely far enough apart to not transfer color, and obviously not airtight. Also, if you simply turn them around on a shelf, the high end will hide them from sight. She has a video on it herself, i know. She also uses plastic binder sleeves for clothes and outfits, and clear plastic divided bins for shoes, purses, etc.

I personally have used a few of these ideas, they work somewhat. But i like having mine on display, so...
I dont like the binder for clothes, but i see the appeal, i do use clear organizers for shoes and accessories though.
as far as the magazine holders go, i found a empty box at my dollar general that used to hold...dish drying mats, i think? it is the same shape and i use that as well, and i got it for free! I keep meaning to decorate it..

Offline SunnieBunny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
    • View Profile
Moving- Suggested Storage for Dolls
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 06:54:43 AM »
Hello Everyone,

Any suggestions on which type of storage bins i should use to store dolls?

I already picked up white packing paper and i am hoping is acid free to wrap them in.

I ask as I am going to be moving at the end of the month and sadly i will be loosing my extra bedroom that holds my massive Monster High collection of every doll, variant, and exclusive from 2010-2015, and afew other dolls i like after the reboot.

And i am shutter at the thought of dissembling the catacombs and the large high school playsets to store are they are made so cheaply and feel brittle.

Even though i am loosing my extra room my new room is huge and i will still have my core monster high on display along eith a few of my other favourite sets of dolls and my many other toys.

Here is the floor plan i made up of my new room to scale
Pink Doll shelfs will hold...
Monster High
Ninja Turtles
Care Beads
Tyco Quints
Ever After High
Super Hero Girls
Catwalk Kitties
Pinky Cooper Dolls

And some will also be on the orange hallways held in my new room.

The grey rectangle at the l top right is a how the wall juts out, and the reason there is nothing on the right wall is thats the mirror door to my walk in closet.

So much work to do but so exciting, yet so stressful. LOL

[merging with existing storage methods thread -- :) Zombelina, Discussions/Sightings mod]
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 12:31:55 AM by Zombelina »

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
Re: Moving- Suggested Storage for Dolls
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 07:49:45 AM »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Congrats on your new room! Hope you like it once you're settled.

We're moving too, so I've just been using cardboard boxes and white tissue since it's temporary. I have mostly packed the dolls in upright position so they don't get weird hair from being laid in horizontally. Someone on this forum once suggested wineboxes that have cardboard dividers...these are great and often free from stores, but since your collection is so large might not work. Also, if you're going to rotate your collection, I'd label what dolls are in each.container...it's so easy to lose track once they're all packed up!

Good luck with your move!
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis