collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 13
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

October 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

Author Topic: Suggestions for a Doll mod starter kit?  (Read 883 times)

Offline ayame400

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Vampire Slayer
    • View Profile
Suggestions for a Doll mod starter kit?
« on: March 31, 2018, 06:09:03 PM »
Hey all. Iím taking the deep dive into intensive customs and I wanted to know that people suggest to get. Iím especially interested in suggestions to to face ups, body painting, rerooting, and reconstruction (e.g. if I wanted to cut open a torso or take off/reattach legs)

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for a Doll mod starter kit?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 11:26:02 AM »
Is this your first time customizing?  Or are you just looking to get into more advanced customization and techniques?

If this is your first time then I would highly recommend browsing through the links and FAQ section in our Customization Tutorials and Resources sticky.  You'll find the answers to most of your questions there, including detailed tutorials on face-up painting, body painting, rerooting, and body modification, as well as recommended products for each.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 08:12:13 PM »
The first purchases before doing any form of doll/toy modding involving sealants, sprays, sawing, sanding, or fumes should be proper safety equipment and respiratory protection. Make a list of each of the products and techniques you plan on using, and from there research what precautions should be taken when working with them. You should always purchase your respirator, cartridges, safety glasses, gloves, etc. BEFORE or at the same time as you purchase your tools and supplies. Yes, I know I sound like a Public Service Announcement. XP Safety should always come first with hobbies!

SaelaVeís link offers some great info for beginners! If I were to make a personal shortlist of essentials for general customization, it would be something like:
  • Quality acrylic paints
  • A diverse array of brushes and foam sponges
  • Quality, pigment-rich pastels
  • Quality, pigment-rich colored pencils (depending on preference, you may use acrylics instead of or in addition to pencils)
  • An X-Acto knife with a variety of blades
  • Basic sculpting tools
  • Sanding paper, sponges, and needles, as well as diamond files
  • 2-part Epoxie Sculpt, for sculpting new features onto an existing doll/accessory
  • A reliable, well-researched sealant, and the necessary space and equipment to work with it safely

Thatís a good ďstarterís kitĒ if youíre just getting into customizing. Down the road, you might also think about investing in things like airbrushes and Dremels. If youíre interested in rerooting, youíll have a variety of methods and materials to choose from, too numerous to list here. Do some research and feel free to make a shopping list of your own! :)

Good luck in your custimization journey! ^_^
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 08:18:30 PM by Nemesis »

Offline ayame400

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Vampire Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 04:12:09 PM »
Thanks! Yes I am brand new to modding (Iíve taken dolls apart to switch out pieces and removed hair but thatís it)