collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 31
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

November 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: Considerin downsizing. Thought and opinions needed!  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Catsiy

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Scary Cute
    • View Profile
Considerin downsizing. Thought and opinions needed!
« on: March 13, 2018, 10:33:17 AM »
I need thoughts and opinions on the subject of downsizing.
I have every line of G1, some G2, tons of box artwork, the vinyl figures, lots of extra dolls, clothes and shoes..everything! I am (was) a serious collector until the reboot.  I would like to keep them all but if I was to keep the basics and the ones I really like selling them would also allow myself to have extra money.
Has anyone done this or similar and regretted it or was happy afterwards?
I've got stuff to trade! Take a look!
http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,11341.0.html

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
Re: Considerin downsizing. Thought and opinions needed!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 10:51:51 AM »
My sister and I went through this, though she always had a lot more than I do.  It was a combination of never completing collections, and losing some, that really made me take the plunge, though the unhappy feelings towards G2 didn't help. 

The hard part was definitely looking at some and being conflicted on keeping them or selling them.  Like for my sister, she had the entire New Scaremester set, but she really only liked Clawdeen and Billy.  Once she was able to split up the set by selling one, it became easier to piece it out and just keep the ones she wanted.

There's still a lot to love, but I'd rather them be in good homes than just sitting here in totes or gathering dust.
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline respositob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 01:21:09 PM »
Personally, I rarely ever sell dolls, clothes, accessories, or vinyl figures. I'm too attached to them and kind of a hoarder. :blush: But that doesn't mean it won't work for you.

But as far as the box artwork goes, I used to keep all of the boxes because they were so pretty. But eventually I had the idea to cut out my favorite designs and pictures on the boxes and scrapbook them. It's worked out really well so far, and it's a lot of fun! 

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 10:13:17 PM »
This is a tough question to answer... I’ve asked myself these same things many times. For me, it comes down to:
1: Am I enjoying my collection? Or has it just become a “gotta catch ‘em all!” compulsion? Do I actually display and enjoy each of these dolls, or are they just cluttering up my basement?
2: Do I have space for it all?
3: Is the sheer volume of my collection detracting from my enjoyment of the individual dolls?

Obviously you don’t want to rush into any decisions without taking some time to think. Evaluate your feelings for a few months before attempting to downsize, and definitely don’t do anything impulsive just because you’d like some quick spending money! That is a road that leads only to regret... /knowsfromexperience >_<;
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 10:15:17 PM by Nemesis »

Offline biofreak659

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Glue-Seepage Head
  • Lab Goblin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 08:24:18 PM »
What I tend to (and am) do/doing, is to sort out my collection, divide it into things I love (and like... customs, rare/expensive things, etc), things I'm iffy on, and things I outright don't like. Then, put the things you love back where ever they were, iffy stuff and don't like go into separate boxes. Then, I date them and let them sit a predetermined amt of time (1 month, 6 months, 1 year, etc. At the end of that, if I still want to sell them, or I haven't gotten re-interested in collecting, they're good to go.

Selling things I got out of a feeling of obligation (I need this one to complete the set!) is pretty good, because it means some pocket change and less junk in my house, but at the same time, I've not liked things for years (like, nearly a decade) and then got really back into them and was glad I kept my collection.

There's a box breakdown/storage tutorial/idea thing on tfw2005 (totally different toy, but the box thing is somewhat relevant):http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/modern-box-archival-a-cleaner-solution-less-trashy.951447/

It can be super hard, esp because, not only does one like the toys/collection, but there are so many memories associated with collecting, and the community at large. Those memories make it feel like... betrayal, of sorts, to get rid of collections. I blame Toy Story. There are also more practical concerns, ie, what happens if you decide to start collecting again and want all of your stuff back?

In the end, unfortunately, the decision, and the consequences, be they regret or elation, are solely up to you. It's not an easy decision to make.

Offline Catsiy

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Scary Cute
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 03:14:46 PM »
This is a tough question to answer... I’ve asked myself these same things many times. For me, it comes down to:
1: Am I enjoying my collection? Or has it just become a “gotta catch ‘em all!” compulsion? Do I actually display and enjoy each of these dolls, or are they just cluttering up my basement?
2: Do I have space for it all?
3: Is the sheer volume of my collection detracting from my enjoyment of the individual dolls?

Obviously you don’t want to rush into any decisions without taking some time to think. Evaluate your feelings for a few months before attempting to downsize, and definitely don’t do anything impulsive just because you’d like some quick spending money! That is a road that leads only to regret... /knowsfromexperience >_<;

I've been looking at all the lines and I think “gotta catch ‘em all!” compulsion is right on the head. There is many dolls I like but I feel there's some I could part with

Post Merge: March 22, 2018, 03:16:09 PM

My sister and I went through this, though she always had a lot more than I do.  It was a combination of never completing collections, and losing some, that really made me take the plunge, though the unhappy feelings towards G2 didn't help. 

The hard part was definitely looking at some and being conflicted on keeping them or selling them.  Like for my sister, she had the entire New Scaremester set, but she really only liked Clawdeen and Billy.  Once she was able to split up the set by selling one, it became easier to piece it out and just keep the ones she wanted.

There's still a lot to love, but I'd rather them be in good homes than just sitting here in totes or gathering dust.

Yes. that is a good idea. weed out slowly and then it might be easier. Almost all of my dolls are in totes because of the lack of space for them at the moment. Good points
I've got stuff to trade! Take a look!
http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,11341.0.html

Offline Majesty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 05:24:51 AM »
I would keep just the signatures or originals.  Especially with the earlier dolls those can be harder to come by.  If you have lets say 10 different versions of Cleo just pick one that you like the most.