collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 39
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

September 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29

Author Topic: Resurrecting the Corpse of Monster High  (Read 3746 times)

Offline roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
Re: Resurrecting the Corpse of Monster High
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2018, 02:25:09 PM »
Well tastes do change in the public.
Right now monsters have hit a bit of a slump... the zombie fad is FINALLY dying down..so monsters have kinda lost their popularity for the moment.
Granted they will always be some fans..So i think its less about the dolls, the faces or even the change from high school to middle school.
and more about whats in right now.
Whats going on right now is Glitter, and Unicorns, and Mermaids, and Empowerment (which is a good thing mind)
So that makes it the perfect time to bring back Shera and her MOTU compatriots.
Heck we all saw how well the special edition doll sold
wouldnt you like to have one thats affordable? and not a SDCC exclusive that you have to pay up the yin yang for?
I believe like everything.. monster high will come back into popularity.
I believe EAH will too... We just have to wait and see what hits the heights in pop culture next.
Honestly.. I LOVE  my MH dolls I love my EAH dolls.
I WOULD however probably tackle someone for a quality shera doll that wasnt 4 inches high and that i didnt have to spend an arm and leg on ebay for.
I think we ought to enjoy what we have.. enjoy what comes next and try to stay HOPEFUL for the future.
Rather than saying "well i think this that or the other" killed the line ( and no im not pointing fingers here.. we have ALL my self included, Said it at least once on here). I think itd be better to remember the positives and look forward to what mattel pulls outa the hat next.

Offline Carrehz

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Monster Hunter
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2018, 04:51:26 AM »
Rather than saying "well i think this that or the other" killed the line ( and no im not pointing fingers here.. we have ALL my self included, Said it at least once on here). I think itd be better to remember the positives and look forward to what mattel pulls outa the hat next.

Hear hear! :clap:

Offline DGRequiem

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
    • RequiemArt.com
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2018, 05:36:33 AM »
I'm going to post an observation and how I'm interpreting that:

So I sell doll patterns.  Most of them are MH/EAH sized.  When the reboot was announced, sales in that size pretty much bottomed out from the end of 2016 through the first half of 2017.  The weird thing is, after the first half of 2017, things started to improve for that size, and it's been pretty steady since then.

It could just be that the shop has gotten more popular, but I don't think so because the other pattern sizes in the shop remained pretty steady through that period.  I also noticed a dip in people posting OOC characters and customs that is rebounding during the same time frame.

I think what we're seeing is that MH is shifting from a fad to a fandom, and I don't think the fandom is going to die.  It's shrinking to a more devoted core.  There are adults who got into it and aren't going anywhere (like me!) There will be lots of girls who got rid of their MH/EAH dolls and then come back to it in their 20s.  And they'll have kids who they introduce to Monster High, etc etc.  Like what happened with MLP, Ninja Turtles, Star Wars, etc.   At some point Mattel will probably do a nostalgia cash in and reboot the series again, but Mattel isn't a necessary component to keep it alive or resurrect it. 
Check out my Etsy Shop for custom dolls and doll clothes patterns!

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2018, 11:03:10 AM »
One of the things seldom discussed about the decline of MH is just the general decline of the popularity of monsters in mainstream media. Obviously monsters won’t go away completely but MH hit at the fever pitch of Twilight, Walking Dead and other zombie media, rebooting Teen Wolf, etc.

Superheroes and women’s empowerment are much more trendy right now (although I hope the latter just becomes second nature). Superhero monsters would be a bit weird but certainly MH’s “be yourself, be unique” would resonate and could help it gain some traction again.

Also classic fantasy creatures like unicorns and mermaids are trendy right now. I can't help but think if MH wasn't in decline and EAH had been more popular we would have gotten a crossover that leans more towards the EAH side of things.

Honestly, this. There are seeds in both franchises on how to make this some kind of dark ethereal franchise.
Hairdorable for trade, ask me.[/size]

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2018, 11:50:39 AM »
One of the things seldom discussed about the decline of MH is just the general decline of the popularity of monsters in mainstream media. Obviously monsters won’t go away completely but MH hit at the fever pitch of Twilight, Walking Dead and other zombie media, rebooting Teen Wolf, etc.

Superheroes and women’s empowerment are much more trendy right now (although I hope the latter just becomes second nature). Superhero monsters would be a bit weird but certainly MH’s “be yourself, be unique” would resonate and could help it gain some traction again.

Also classic fantasy creatures like unicorns and mermaids are trendy right now. I can't help but think if MH wasn't in decline and EAH had been more popular we would have gotten a crossover that leans more towards the EAH side of things.

Honestly, this. There are seeds in both franchises on how to make this some kind of dark ethereal franchise.

But since the current toy trend is collectibles and surprise toys instead of fashion dolls we get unicorns in Shopkins and LOL Surprise.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline Jabroniville

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2018, 11:54:54 PM »
I agree with those who've said that it'd be a great idea for Mattel to keep the franchise going in a small way- "Surprise" toys and the occasional "Deluxe" release. That way, the characters are still in people's minds, even though the fad has died.

MH lasted SO much longer than the typical "Fad Toy", though I think it spent a few years petering out- movie releases kept coming, but were more minor each time.

So I say let the line lie dormant save for the aforementioned small releases, and then bring it back in a small "Reboot" here and there. After MANY years of that, perhaps try a REAL cartoon series, and not just "Short Webisodes"? A My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic fad doesn't come along easily as far as Reboot Success goes, so that's hard to predict. That was also DECADES after the initial success of the line.

To me, the best solution