collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 28
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

December 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

No calendar events were found.

Author Topic: Resurrecting the Corpse of Monster High  (Read 4559 times)

Offline Claire85

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Resurrecting the Corpse of Monster High
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 12:29:50 PM »
Honestly, I think they should take a little break from this brand. I think they rebooted at a weird time.

I'm not sure if the line was still strong before they rebooted, but the quality was definitely still there.
I feel the reboot was so random, but maybe Gen 1 was slipping, and they thought "Oh let's redo it now, before it plummets".

I think in a few years they should try again, with the same level of quality we had for the first few years.
I can see it going the way of Bratz a bit. Line, Break, few years later Reboot.

OR.

Try and collab with more brands and make it special again. Get a sponsor maybe.

My thoughts exactly.

If Mattel does decide to bring MH back at some point (and they probably will), I'd like to see them wait a few years before attempting to do so.  Allow the brand to fully die out, and when the kids who grew up with MH's intial run are old enough to start waxing nostalgic, revive it.
I fear that any attempt to bring MH back too quickly would end up just as big a disaster as the current reboot.
[/quote]

Pretty much. I think that's a huge reason why this reboot didn't do well, not going to say it failed, but it definitely didn't succeed.

It's like announcing seasons 3-5 before finding out how season 2 does. They should have ended Gen 1 with dignity, but they didn't..
They started Gen 2 pretty much WHILE Gen 1 was happening and still going. They honestly could have given us both, but they changed the demographic and with it, I think they shot themselves in the foot.

Give this line a few years. Monsters will be a fad again sooner or later.

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 12:49:18 PM »
I do really love the idea of crowdfunding, and depending on the character and doll, it would be something I'd consider donating to.  But at this point, I think we need to just let it go for the time being.  In a few years, we'll see them again.  Rebooted for the better or worse, I'm not entirely sure.  I really feel nothing will match up to that Gen 1 feel, even if they do come back edgy and less cutesy.
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline Crimson Kitty

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Pet Collector
  • Doll Lover Forever After!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 12:49:35 PM »
I agree that if Gen2 fails they should let it sit for a while. Give it some time to breathe, and then bring it back with Gen1 quality. In the meantime though, I would love if they could do a limited number of collector dolls per year via pledge purchases. Make them SDCC quality and have a pre-sale so that the quality and design and everything will be high.
(Profile Art Drawn By PuffPink)

Offline Kara Zor-El

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2018, 01:23:49 PM »
I honestly didn't think this topic would get so many "we should just shut up and let it die" responses. :|  And I certainly didn't intend any resurrection ideas to be 'this is how it should be done, right NOW.'  Or even a call to arms for collectors.  With people waxing nostalgic over G1 and talking about the high points from G2, I was hoping there would be more talking about how we think Monster High will or could end up being resurrected, rather than a bunch of posts that feel like they're telling me I should be glad it's over.

Just some fantasy 'what if' discussion wouldn't hurt, would it?

I mean, I guess I could start a "Monster High is over and GOOD RIDDANCE" thread for us all to vent in instead... :P
I make the dolls Mattel won't.

Offline VoidChilde

• Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Genderless Faerie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2018, 01:38:03 PM »
I honestly didn't think this topic would get so many "we should just shut up and let it die" responses. :|  And I certainly didn't intend any resurrection ideas to be 'this is how it should be done, right NOW.'  Or even a call to arms for collectors.  With people waxing nostalgic over G1 and talking about the high points from G2, I was hoping there would be more talking about how we think Monster High will or could end up being resurrected, rather than a bunch of posts that feel like they're telling me I should be glad it's over.

I mean, I guess I could start a "Monster High is over and GOOD RIDDANCE" thread for us all to vent in instead... :P

Ha ha, oh dear, that's exactly how I feel reading the answers, I'm like...I really like Monster High and I'm sad that it's going down but I know we can't really do anything so just pitching ideas can be fun! Also, I'm not ready to lay down and just forget about Monster High, it's one of my main fandoms as well as a special interest of mine so I like speculating about how it could rise from its grave!

Offline Firecracker

• Trade Count: (+55)
  • Down Undah Diva
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2018, 01:52:02 PM »
As far as things I would love to see, if they wanted to revive the Collector's edition line ala draculaura style, in a smaller run for collectors, I'd be all for it.
They only used that gorgeous body once.  I wanted a Collector's Frankie so bad and they never made her.  I feel pretty content with the MH I have otherwise, but darn I'd get a whole set of the six main ghouls in that style.

Offline Claire85

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2018, 02:33:41 PM »
What I would LIKE, is what others are saying. Continue the Collector's type dolls. Just go all out once or twice a year.

I would also love for them to do more dolls for Ever After High's SDCC dolls. I still want a Black Swan Duchess or full on White Knight Darling.

I think they could do that for Monster High as well. They kind of did it with Cleo and Ghoulia. I want to see more Origin or Full on Monster type dolls.

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2018, 02:35:11 PM »
I certainly didn't mean for us to just shut up and let it die.  I do think letting it go for a few years would be part of a solution, and a step towards bringing back some life into MH, instead of the sad little twitches of life they've been giving it as of late. 

But back on the subject of giving it unlife, more collector's dolls were always a big thing I saw people wanting.  Crowdsourcing has been mentioned, but if they wanted to do something like they did with the Cleo/Ghoulia two pack, make a big collector's doll, beautiful and detailed with a unique mold like Draculaura or a two pack with the "old school" Monster High feel, and sell it on their site only. 

The downside to that would be, of course, importing and fees for international collectors. 

I also kind of wonder if giving the rights to someone else might be with MH really needs.  We all know Mattel does not like Barbie to be overshadowed.  I saw this article this morning https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-27/mattel-s-chief-brands-officer-steps-down-in-management-shift basically saying there's management shifts at Mattel, and only mentions their big, core brands (Barbie, Hot Wheels, Fischer-Price, plus American Girl) and it kind of gives the feeling that's where their focus is going to be for the time being. 
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2018, 03:05:56 PM »

I don't think that anyone is telling you personally that you need to be glad that the franchise is over (none of us are glad about this).  Or that we all just need to "shut up and let it die".  But the topic of this thread is potential ways that Mattel could resurrect MH, and well... we kind of already saw how they would handle such a resurrection in G2.  I think that's why so many of us are reluctant to imagine another revival right now—we're still feeling kind of burned by the reboot and we're afraid of history repeating itself. :(

I am sorry that this thread didn't get the sorts of responses that you were hoping for, but any discussions on the reboot or the end of the franchise are going to be hot topics right now and are bound to get mixed responses.  And that's okay, so long as everyone remembers to remain respectful toward one another.  We don't have to agree with each other to have a pleasant discussion. :)
Again, please understand that most of the comments in this thread have not been directed at you personally.  We're responding with our opinions and feelings on the topic that you brought forth, but we're not meaning to say that you should feel the same way as we do.

Additionally, the responses have not been off-topic so far.  Even those of us who have expressed that we would like to see the franchise retire for a while have still given hypothetical scenarios for a future revival of the franchise.  We are still participating in the "what if" conversation that you wanted to have, albeit not as positively as you were anticipating.

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2018, 05:56:54 PM »
In my opinion the biggest problem wit the G2 reboot was that they released so quickly that most of the stores still had full stock of unsold G1 dolls (mostly Scarey reef and Freak du chick)   ^^;

So the stores barely gave a tiny space to G2, and mixed the wit the G1s, so many people didn't even noticed they had a "new look", and passed the MH section, looking in favor for DSHG, Descendants, Shopkins, etc

Mattel should have waited at least 1 year for the leftover G1s to sold out, and then put the movies on TV or youtube and then add the G2 dolls at stores  :( it would have being mush better this way

For example, her in Honduras I saw "deluxe" G2 for the first time until november 2017, when Walmart finally sold out a part of the G1 stock

« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 05:58:48 PM by Sapphire-Light »

Offline Crimson Kitty

• Pet Collector
  • Doll Lover Forever After!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2018, 08:04:30 AM »
Haha, sorry if our answers were a tad depressing. I think time is a magical healing factor for toy lines. I mean, look at My Little Pony. I don't collect ponies or anything, but they've been more popular these past few years than I have ever seen them.

As for a resurgence right now, I think releasing a few sets a year like the Cleo and Ghoulia set would be a good first step. The next would be to stop with the budget lines, because I think no one really buys those and they just end up costing MH more money. Start making more sets that have more details and interesting themes with fully articulated dolls. Release some new interesting characters, and attempt to draw in the new audience of kids. Push the specials (maybe a movie or two onto Nickelodeon?) and hope that they get a new wave of interest from kids.
(Profile Art Drawn By PuffPink)

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2018, 10:09:23 AM »
Are any of you familiar with Saint Seiya?

It's an anime from the 80's that made their way to America around the 90's and was a hit in Latinamerica (it didn't do that well in the US and I blame the dubbing).
There was the manga first, then came the animation & animated movies, computer or videogames. Hasbro was in charge of the toy distribution, and it was quite successful for a while until (even though the toys weren't that good) with time the popularity died. The funds were removed and the last arc of the manga didn't see the light. The anime was stopped an arc before that also.

Many years after, 2001 I believe, a group of fans presented a fan made trailer at a convention in France. One of them had already spend years designing the characters of the arc that was left pending to be animate.
And it was an interesting success, that brought executives back to the discussion table to whether they should bring the line back. And they did! They approved the pending arc to be animate, 2 more chapters (prequel and side story), amazing videogames and even cooler toys.

So it can happen. But it takes work, time and united fans :p
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 05:23:26 AM by nassib »
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline carbatonic

• Midnight Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2018, 05:49:17 PM »
I think that MH was too big of a force in its heyday for Mattel to never try rebooting for playline. I imagine it will be something along the lines of MLP or Strawberry Shortcake, where there are multiple generations with pauses in between.

That being said, Mattel isn't doing that great, and may be veering away from dolls in general. At the very least, I believe we will get an anniversary line of some sort, whether it be reproductions or collector's dolls. I would love something along the lines of what Integrity did for Jem. What a treat it was to be able to own high quality versions of those characters I grew up with.

Again, MH was huge while at its height, meaning there will be a lot of nostalgia for the line down the road. This will be capitalized on somehow, we may just have to wait 10 or 20 years to see it.

Offline Melissa

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Gore-geous
  • Rochelle & Maddie fanatic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2018, 12:19:12 PM »
One of the things seldom discussed about the decline of MH is just the general decline of the popularity of monsters in mainstream media. Obviously monsters won’t go away completely but MH hit at the fever pitch of Twilight, Walking Dead and other zombie media, rebooting Teen Wolf, etc.

Superheroes and women’s empowerment are much more trendy right now (although I hope the latter just becomes second nature). Superhero monsters would be a bit weird but certainly MH’s “be yourself, be unique” would resonate and could help it gain some traction again.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2018, 02:20:28 PM »
One of the things seldom discussed about the decline of MH is just the general decline of the popularity of monsters in mainstream media. Obviously monsters won’t go away completely but MH hit at the fever pitch of Twilight, Walking Dead and other zombie media, rebooting Teen Wolf, etc.

Superheroes and women’s empowerment are much more trendy right now (although I hope the latter just becomes second nature). Superhero monsters would be a bit weird but certainly MH’s “be yourself, be unique” would resonate and could help it gain some traction again.

Also classic fantasy creatures like unicorns and mermaids are trendy right now. I can't help but think if MH wasn't in decline and EAH had been more popular we would have gotten a crossover that leans more towards the EAH side of things.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 09:13:05 AM by Wardah »
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2018, 09:57:49 PM »
When it comes to old things dying off and coming back..
Strange revivals and things you NEVER Thought youd see EVER  EVER again popping up..
I just have one word to say on the subject.
VOLTRON...
One of the TACKIEST, CHEEZIEST, CORNIEST bits of fun from the late 1980's
It now has a brand show on netflix that's slick as greased ligthning..
its good and well animated and well written too.
So if the stupid purple space elf and his crew of cohorts can show up.. and be THIS BLOODY POPULAR again.. after what? Three? Four? decades?
ANYTHING is possible.
I love the dolls i have.. I will always love them.. But I DO Wanna see what mattel does next.. on top of the fact that we no longer have the toys r us to deal with.. we go straight to amazon. Doll collecting has become a lot easier.. with that advent and the invention of amazon prime.. ( its ten bucks a month guys.. anyone can afford that!))

I was privy to a bit of animation on the new shera / masters of the universe show..
ITS SLICK.. ladies and gents.. SLICK AS a slug on a banana peel.
So.. what ever comes next.. lets face it with hope.. enjoy it while it while it lasts and look back on the past as fond memories.
The dolls we have arent going any place..
The movies cant be erased..
the books cant be over written.
We still have it and in time it may come back again..
so enjoy the ride guys.
If we have to loose monster high for a while to get a new MOTU/SHERA.. i can live with that.
i wanna see what they are up too.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 09:59:39 PM by roseprincess1 »

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2018, 06:33:38 AM »
I fully believe that we will see MH again—there’s no way another reboot won’t be attempted once people have had some time to develop nostalgia. With rare exception, all toy lines experience periods of dormancy... but brands like MLP have proven that the “classics” can come back with renewed popularity. :)

On a related note... I’m super-interested in seeing that She-Ra reboot now! XD I hope the writing will be up to snuff with that of the new Voltron (which I’ve really come to love! <3).

Very true! I will sorely miss the “monster era” of popular entertainment. :’( It almost felt like year-round Halloween for a while there—which is my dream come true, lol.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 06:36:02 AM by Nemesis »

Offline Monsterfan95

• Glue-Seepage Head
  • Fan of horror movies and scary characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2018, 01:32:50 PM »
I think the line should take a break, come back with new ideas that captivate the old fans. Unique and extravagant outfits, shoes and hairstyles (old bodies), because now they look like a bad copy of Equestria Girls.

Offline textsfrommh

• Fearleader
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2018, 09:11:17 AM »
I think Monster High is definitely going to come back at some point in the future. It's one of the most successful brands Mattel has ever had, and the monster theme is something which will always be popular and profitable to some degree.

But I think they definitely need to come up with a new way to sell the dolls and make sure it's successful. Obviously not repeating the mistakes they made with G2 and doing more of what made G1 so popular, (Better quality dolls, stronger character and story development, more tie-in media such as cartoons) but there needs to be more. The toy market has changed a lot since 2010 and peoples interests and buying habits have changed, and Mattel need to realize that, lest they end up going the way of Toys R Us.

One big change I hope we see if MH comes back is a better online presence. Lets face it, more people than ever are buying their toys online these days, and toys that interact or tie into online games/apps are still pretty popular. The MH website was always a bit back and forth with its updates. You either got some pose with some lore that tied in to whatever new line was out, or a new webisode. But in recent times the site was pretty bad at informing fans about what new dolls and toys were out, and the online store was pretty lame as well.  A beter website which is constantly updated, keeps fans hooked with new lore and story content which gets them interested in buying the dolls, and maybe a game or app which actually requires the dolls to be able to play (something like this https://www.playosmo.com/en-gb/mindracers/) would be a great way to get people involved in the toys again.

Offline Majesty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2018, 05:21:46 AM »
I personally feel like redoing the faces was a bad idea.  People have seemed to lose interest very quickly.  Also, making the "high school" kids more like "middle school" kids was also a bad idea.  They can still look more like high school kids and be geared towards middle school kids.