collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 39
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

December 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

Author Topic: Resurrecting the Corpse of Monster High  (Read 4492 times)

Offline Kara Zor-El

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
Resurrecting the Corpse of Monster High
« on: February 26, 2018, 09:06:01 AM »
After Toy Fair 2018, it seems that Monster High fans have gotten the news we've been dreading for a couple years.  Monster High has died, and will slowly shuffle off to its grave this year as the last remnants of announced lines trickle their way out to retail.  The last new characters to be released for the line appear to be Packlyn (a recolored Weredith) and Alivia Stein.

All good toy lines must come to an end, and it seems like, for now, that this is Monster High's demise.  However, as we've seen time and time again, no good monster truly STAYS dead - they always come back for the Sequel!  So, this thread is to discuss ideas of how Monster High could rise from the grave, and what are the ways that could happen!

Here are some ideas that I've had - bear in mind that I'm just throwing ideas out there, and I'm not judging how possible/impossible they are.  This thread is just to throw out ideas for the Revenge of Monster High!

-What if Mattel sub-licensed Monster High to a smaller toy company?

Hasbro sub-licensed Jem to Integrity Toys, who also have made My Little Pony high end fashion dolls.  Mattel sub-licensed He-Man to Super8 after the MOTU subscription ended, and they've continued the line on in different forms.  Smaller toy companies don't need as large a profit margin to be a success.  Could someone else decide to make new Monster High dolls, possibly focused to the collector market?

-What if Mattel decided to crowdfund Monster High?

Hasbro is doing something pretty bold with Star Wars this year - they're going to crowdfund a giant Jabba the Hutt playset, similar to how Kickstarter works.  People will pledge their money towards the set being made, and if the goal is reached, the set goes into production and everyone who pledged gets it.  If it doesn't reach the goal, it won't get made, and everyone gets their money back. 

Now, I'm not saying Monster High has as big of a fanbase as Star Wars, but the idea of crowdfunding collectibles is a really interesting one and could show exactly how many fans Monster High still has...would it be enough to crowdfund a doll?

These are just a couple of my ideas, what ideas does everyone else have?
I make the dolls Mattel won't.

Offline clonecommander

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fashion Pack
  • Undersized clone commander at your service
    • View Profile
Re: Resurrecting the Corpse of Monster High
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 11:31:35 AM »
First off... I had no idea Hasbro was doing that with Star Wars!

Second off, I think it would be really cool to see McFarlane-style MH ghouls. Seeing as McFarlane Toys does produce licensed things for other companies (they did Halo before Mattel got the rights), and they have such a phenomenal level of detail, it'd be cool to see the ghouls as more monster-esque and super detailed.
Got clones? I've got over one hundred... How many do you have?

"I'm not short, I'm compact!"

Offline Fairy Tale Man

• Down Undah Diva
  • Ever After High Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 11:44:42 AM »
Have they really confirmed that MH is dead? I hadn't heard this.

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 11:54:29 AM »
Times and styles changed, sure, but...I Don't think the cutesy big eyed 'Same personality' nonsense is what's in style either. Darkness and clutter was the style of the times in 2010, and it was a cool style. I'd love to see something clean and minimalist.

Also, remember that us, the peripheral demographic, exists. It doesn't have to be 100% for us, or even 50%, but remember that there's a whole section of people out there who would fight tooth and nail for SDCC collectors dolls with actual QC.
Hairdorable for trade, ask me.[/size]

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 12:22:54 PM »
I'm really surprised they aren't keeping up with the Minis at least. MGA has been able to keep the Lalaloopsy brand alive by switching their focus to their blind bagged Minis. Series 3 was supposed to be so good too. A return of many classic characters and cool new styles.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline RodimusKnight

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Creeperific
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 12:41:29 PM »
Not to be nit picky, but I don't believe it's a sub-license because Hasbro Owns My little pony, it's not a license like Star Wars, and Mattel owns Masters of the Universe. It would jut be licensing them.

I think we're probably going to have to wait a few years before we can hope for a rebirth of Monster High especially in something more like its original form.

Offline Kara Zor-El

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 01:17:57 PM »
Not to be nit picky, but I don't believe it's a sub-license because Hasbro Owns My little pony, it's not a license like Star Wars, and Mattel owns Masters of the Universe. It would jut be licensing them.

Good catch, my phraseology was off there.  Monster High is an original Mattel property, so it would just be 'licensing.'

I think we're probably going to have to wait a few years before we can hope for a rebirth of Monster High especially in something more like its original form.

Maybe, but it's still worthwhile to imagine what they could do with it now!

Offline neon_jellyfish

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 02:18:36 PM »
I am utterly and completely confused. Is this 'what if MH died' kind of thread or is MH actually dead?

Offline Kara Zor-El

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 02:28:14 PM »
After whats left in the pipelines hits stores, the line seems to be done and its designers moved on to other projects.  This is discussed in the Toy Fair thread if you want to learn more.   :)  Then, stop by here and let's talk about how we'd like to see Monster High come back and be better than ever!

Offline neon_jellyfish

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 03:11:11 PM »
After whats left in the pipelines hits stores, the line seems to be done and its designers moved on to other projects.  This is discussed in the Toy Fair thread if you want to learn more.   :)  Then, stop by here and let's talk about how we'd like to see Monster High come back and be better than ever!

Oh! I was afraid that they officially discontinued the line and cancelled those lines Darth Alinart posted.

As for the 'Revenge of Monster High' - this should be the renewed line's first movie, by the way - I have no idea what is possible and what not, so I'm just going to write what I'd want to happen.

I would love to see more dolls like CE Draculaura, so I'd love for MH to be adult collector line. I don't think that could happen, though. Silkstone (and other collector) Barbies are tied to 'main' Barbie, but I don't know if they'd make collector line without playline base. But I'd rather pay more money for less dolls of much higher quality than pay less for more low quality dolls. They could even use the silkstone plastic.

I think it could be interesting if Hasbro got the IP (I'm basing this thought on their repeated attempts to buy Mattel). They could come up with some fresh ideas and make MH and MLP cross-overs! I would be afraid that the dolls would lack articulation, though.

The best thing ever would be me winning a lottery, buying rights to MH and launching it anew! That's a teeny tiny bit unrealistic dream, but I wanted to write it down... Hmm, and while I'm at it, I could buy EAH, too....

Offline Kara Zor-El

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 08:56:09 AM »
That Collector Draculaura was so different and beautiful, I always thought it was a shame she was never properly followed up on.  Maybe if they rolled 'Collectors' Monster High dolls into their collector Barbie line, offering one character a year or maybe quarterly in that style...That would be so cool!

Offline RodimusKnight

• Creeperific
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 12:40:56 PM »
That Collector Draculaura was so different and beautiful, I always thought it was a shame she was never properly followed up on.  Maybe if they rolled 'Collectors' Monster High dolls into their collector Barbie line, offering one character a year or maybe quarterly in that style...That would be so cool!

I would love to have seen them do more dolls in this style. I did by the Skeleta, but she didn't get the same kind of love Draculaura did. I may be in the minority here, but I really didn't care for the Abby they did, but again, it doesn't seem to be the same kind of attention given to the Collectors Draculaura doll.

Offline Majesty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 04:04:08 PM »
I'm not surprised at this point and I'm not even really sad about it.  To me Monster High died when they did the reboot.  Sorry to be all dramatic but that's just how I feel. It's pretty sad that G2 Monster High ended so quickly.  I guess the fans have spoken.

Offline Kara Zor-El

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 07:12:23 PM »
Do you have ideas of how to revive it youd like to share? :)

Offline VoidChilde

• Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Genderless Faerie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 07:30:06 PM »
I really, really like that crowdfunding idea! There's a lot of us in the Monster High fandom and if Mattel suggested lines to make, we could vote and crowdfund them, thus getting the dolls the majority of fans want and not some lines nobody's interested in. I've always loved pledging to various projects on Kickstarter and I would definitely do it for Monster High. Not only that but the dolls would be more exclusive, so we could expect better quality and I wouldn't feel the need to redress/repaint/give a wig to half of my dolls because they're wonky/have a bad case of box hair/have cheap clothing.

Offline Kara Zor-El

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 09:19:16 PM »
I just received my Scary Godmother doll that I pledged on Kickstarter (in 2013!  Time flies!). And it was so exciting to open her up and explore the final product!  Its definitely a cool thing Id love to see more toys try, hopefully with faster turnaround times that Im sure Mattel could handle.

Offline 8BrickMario

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 10:05:08 PM »
I think sometimes you just gotta accept what you were given and move on. The brand is not nearly as important or lucrative to Mattel now, and the adult fans are not enough to keep the brand going, and since they tried overhauling it for a wider audience, the original style had been slowing down enough that collectors, the minority, were the only people still interested..

The dolls themselves were never meant for collectors; they just happened to be collector-friendly and so the exclusives emerged from that. The main demographic they were trying for was fundamentally misguided, as older kids didn't want dolls and the younger kids' interest in the edgier product caused some softening even before G2.  But while it stayed around, we were able to partake in the nice things and give some of them the sales they needed, if not enough.

It's hard to let go of something you loved, but it's always better to want more than get tired of it, and  they've completely given up now so there isn't anything to miss from their current lineup. Yes, there were things they ought to have done in G1 and even G2, but given the business perspective, those would be less feasible to achieve given the existing struggle.

So, honestly, I'm fine if it never comes back. There's no perfectly sustainable way to make the brand, anyway, due to less-than-universal appeal, so a startup even from fan support might not be sufficient. I think it would be more sad to see people trying to fund the  brand's return than to see it leaving as it is now. We already had so much to enjoy, and that can never be taken away.
My photo thread:           My drawing thread:

Offline Carrehz

• Monster Hunter
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 11:04:38 AM »
^ man this is *exactly* how I feel about it (and 100% better worded than I could've put it, lol). If it comes back eventually, cool, we'll see what happens. If not, oh well, we had a good run.

Offline Claire85

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 11:24:27 AM »
Honestly, I think they should take a little break from this brand. I think they rebooted at a weird time.

I'm not sure if the line was still strong before they rebooted, but the quality was definitely still there.
I feel the reboot was so random, but maybe Gen 1 was slipping, and they thought "Oh let's redo it now, before it plummets".

I think in a few years they should try again, with the same level of quality we had for the first few years.
I can see it going the way of Bratz a bit. Line, Break, few years later Reboot.

OR.

Try and collab with more brands and make it special again. Get a sponsor maybe.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 11:56:17 AM »
I think sometimes you just gotta accept what you were given and move on. The brand is not nearly as important or lucrative to Mattel now, and the adult fans are not enough to keep the brand going, and since they tried overhauling it for a wider audience, the original style had been slowing down enough that collectors, the minority, were the only people still interested..

The dolls themselves were never meant for collectors; they just happened to be collector-friendly and so the exclusives emerged from that. The main demographic they were trying for was fundamentally misguided, as older kids didn't want dolls and the younger kids' interest in the edgier product caused some softening even before G2.  But while it stayed around, we were able to partake in the nice things and give some of them the sales they needed, if not enough.

It's hard to let go of something you loved, but it's always better to want more than get tired of it, and  they've completely given up now so there isn't anything to miss from their current lineup. Yes, there were things they ought to have done in G1 and even G2, but given the business perspective, those would be less feasible to achieve given the existing struggle.

So, honestly, I'm fine if it never comes back. There's no perfectly sustainable way to make the brand, anyway, due to less-than-universal appeal, so a startup even from fan support might not be sufficient. I think it would be more sad to see people trying to fund the  brand's return than to see it leaving as it is now. We already had so much to enjoy, and that can never be taken away.

Could not agree more!  I had started to write something similar a couple of days ago but it just failed to capture my thoughts and feelings in the way that you just did.

It's fun to imagine the many ways that Mattel could potentially resurrect the line in the future, but I also think that a lot of us adult collectors have accepted MH's fate and emotionally moved on.  I know that I have.  I'm actually ready to see the line end.  I'd rather it die with dignity than continue to limp on and turn into something even sadder than what we have now. :(

Honestly, I think they should take a little break from this brand. I think they rebooted at a weird time.

I'm not sure if the line was still strong before they rebooted, but the quality was definitely still there.
I feel the reboot was so random, but maybe Gen 1 was slipping, and they thought "Oh let's redo it now, before it plummets".

I think in a few years they should try again, with the same level of quality we had for the first few years.
I can see it going the way of Bratz a bit. Line, Break, few years later Reboot.

OR.

Try and collab with more brands and make it special again. Get a sponsor maybe.

My thoughts exactly.

If Mattel does decide to bring MH back at some point (and they probably will), I'd like to see them wait a few years before attempting to do so.  Allow the brand to fully die out, and when the kids who grew up with MH's intial run are old enough to start waxing nostalgic, revive it.
I fear that any attempt to bring MH back too quickly would end up just as big a disaster as the current reboot.