collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 28
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

December 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

Author Topic: The demise of Monster High?  (Read 907 times)

Offline lorifina

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
    • View Profile
The demise of Monster High?
« on: February 20, 2018, 12:44:27 PM »
While looking on instagram, I came across this post https://www.instagram.com/p/BfblXm3DDGp/ that was a screen shot from wall street journal article talking about how Mattel was going to improve barbie. And if you keep reading it says with the demise of Monster High. Does that mean mattel has confirmed that monster high is done? What do you guys think?

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
Re: The demise of Monster High?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 01:08:45 PM »
It's been heading that way for a long time, so if Mattel has come out and admitted MH is done, I would not be surprised.   With shelf spaces getting smaller and smaller, and lines becoming few and far between, and this all but saying 2018 is the year of Barbie, it might also become the last year of MH.

Though we've also been assuming "this is the last year/last line of MH" since the reboot, so who can say? ^^;
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 01:20:34 PM »
They refer to Mattel in the third person so I don't think it's official. It's just the mostly accurate observation of the writer of the article.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 02:01:42 PM »
I don't believe that that screenshot is legit, but if anyone can find the original article I'd be most appreciative.
All that I could find was this WSJ article posted a few days ago at the start of Toy Fair: https://www.wsj.com/articles/mattel-ditches-high-tech-barbies-goes-back-to-basics-1518810417

The portion outlined in that screenshot doesn't appear anywhere in the article, nor does anything about the "demise of Monster High".

Now the article does state that in recent years Mattel "failed to revive struggling brands."  That could be in reference to MH.
It also says that Mattel's Chief Executive Margo Georgiadis is "divesting smaller brands and shutting down other product lines".

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 02:31:20 PM »
If that screenshot is legit, its possible that the journalist was simply referring to the demise of MHs sales and profitability as a brand. Id say THAT demise has already happened.

It feels like MH is coasting on borrowed time. Mattel gave rebooting a shot, but failed to spark the kind of renewed interest they were hoping for (small wonder, given the cuts to quality). MH is probably just riding out that last wave until Mattel pulls the plug entirely. :(

Offline perivam3

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 04:10:15 PM »
Even if the exact phrase was simply the writer's opinion, which it most likely is, it's still the truth.

Monster High as many of us knew and loved it, is dead. You could easily say it went down when the reboot came along, or simply just petered out over the past year, but it's gone. Remember when there were two movies a year? Regular webisodes? Knowledge of upcoming waves months in advance? Yeah, good times...

However, the Monster High brand will never truly "die." For a brief period of time, MH was one Mattel's top sellers. Merchandise was everywhere and they were more than happy to license it out. No company, no matter who may be in charge at any given time, will ever let something that lucrative go completely extinct. Right now, those in charge have decided that a line devoted to monsters and creepiness is not what they want to be associated with. But to come right out and announce it, to publicly mark it dead, does not leave a good impression on potential customers/stockholders/fans/etc. Instead, they just let it slowly fade away, perhaps have one or two releases a year, and be forgotten. Then, when a new suit is put in charge or a trend reemerges, it can be dug out and released en mass. Popular toy lines come and go like the tide, but they're never gone for good.

Monster High will be back. Will it ever be the same? No, unfortunately. Someone new will be charge, some new trends will be around, and it will be made to adapt. For now the best we can do is relax, enjoy the collections we have, and hope that whenever MH comes back, it will at least do so in a way that can come close to what we once had.

Offline RevengeSeeker

• Two Left Hands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 01:00:58 PM »
Well, it's pretty much happening already, if nothing is revealed on SDCC we can assume MH is done.