collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 31
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

September 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 [22]
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

• - Holidays -
  • holiday Autumnal Equinox

Author Topic: Monster High by Aaron Bordner - The Original Monster High?  (Read 2999 times)

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
Re: Monster High by Aaron Bordner - The Original Monster High?
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2018, 12:18:42 AM »
Compared to the single shared feature between Bordner's creature and Lagoona, the Asset and the Gill-Man's similarities are pretty uncanny
Ah, that was actually not what I was trying to say; Asset was directly inspired by Gill-Man as the movie was meant to be sort of a different take on the whole monster and a woman thing. But I was talking about Asset and Abe Sapiens from Hellboy, who were often perceived as very similar, yet they are actually very different. X:

Oh okay!  I'm sorry, that was my mistake.  I completely misunderstood what you were saying.
No I completely agree with you.  The Asset and Abe Sapien are quite different in my opinion.  I mean yes, you can also see the Gill-Man's influence present in Abe Sapien's design, but it's also different enough that he feels like his own unique character.

So basically - similar designs exist, but there are also many more to choose from, and while on its own it could barely be considered a significant similarity, it's the combination of all the matching choices in design made together that strikes me as odd (choice of monsters, names, interpretation of the design of the monsters etc.). :)

I definitely understand that.  We are talking about numerous design similarities, shared names, and shared themes and character archetypes.  Each of those things on their own would be far easier to accept as coincidence; but taken together it does start to look suspicious.

For me Cleo and Frankie are the two that are particularly similar.  I mean, if you were to take any Frankie doll and put its hair in pigtails... there you go, there's Bordner's artwork. lol
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:55:29 AM by SaelaVe »

DeviantArt  |  Flickr  |  Instagram

"They say nothing is impossible; but I do nothing every day."

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2018, 04:18:40 AM »
There's no question about the legality of this. Mattel made sure that they didn't break any laws. The issue the creator has is that Mattel never said anything like "Inspired by Monster High by Aaron Bordner" even tho they are not required to by law and tbh it would probably not be something they want to be associated with. While I haven't read the comic I did do an image search of Monster High and Aaron Bordner together and one of the first few results was a topless image of his version of Frankie. That would be like them directly acknowledging Barbie was based on a German adult comic character.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2018, 05:59:15 AM »
Regarding the similarities between Abe and the Asset, also keep in mind that the director is the same. And he was "released" from Hellboy 3, but still wanted to develop stories for some of the characters. Abe might probably be an unofficial descendant of the Asset
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline akirafay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Create a Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2018, 07:42:12 AM »
Regarding the similarities between Abe and the Asset, also keep in mind that the director is the same. And he was "released" from Hellboy 3, but still wanted to develop stories for some of the characters. Abe might probably be an unofficial descendant of the Asset
This theory was refused by the actor of the characters (he played them both, actually), who explained that they are not related and that story-wise Asset is a completely new character.
Further, Del Torro did not create Abe, only his specific design as he appeared in the movies and in later comics, otherwise Abe also appeared in comics prior to the movies.

And even if designed  by the same director, that doesn't change the fact that they are a nice example of two characters inspired by the same monster but having different designs. :)

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2018, 10:49:33 AM »
This theory was refused by the actor of the characters (he played them both, actually), who explained that they are not related and that story-wise Asset is a completely new character.
Further, Del Torro did not create Abe, only his specific design as he appeared in the movies and in later comics, otherwise Abe also appeared in comics prior to the movies.

And even if designed  by the same director, that doesn't change the fact that they are a nice example of two characters inspired by the same monster but having different designs. :)

It's Del Toro. Only one r.
And yes, I'm familiar with the BPRD Comic books and Hellboy comic books :)
And I didn't mean they were directly related nor in the same universe story. I meant that since the director could not continue working with the Hellboy universe, he developed another one with a similar creature.
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline Quillette

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Beast Friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2018, 08:15:59 AM »
I think this issue only shows that you need to read those contracts very carefully before you sign away your rights to your work or ideas. Educate yourself and know what youíre getting into. Publishing house and toy companies exist to make money. They arenít examples of the moral high ground, there to protect artists, creatives, and writers. They are a business.

Netflix has a great series called ďThe Toys That Made Us.Ē Itís an interesting watch on its own, but it gives a little glimpse into the world of making toys. Itís a dirty business, people get screwed, and even the toy companies own  employees have been screwed over in the end.

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Absolutely Abbeylicious
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Pet Collector
  • 100% Good Accented Rottish Ghoul
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2018, 04:18:09 PM »
I am interested in this comic, it looks pretty cool! That said, while there are similarities, there are plenty such similarities in media for 'goth'/girlie characters. For me, it isn't strong enough.
If I have not replied to you, please give me a PM! Super-busy and may miss some messages!