collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 40
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

July 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

Author Topic: What do you like about G2?  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Crimson Kitty

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Pet Collector
  • Doll Lover Forever After!
    • View Profile
What do you like about G2?
« on: February 16, 2018, 01:38:51 PM »
I know I am not alone in mourning the loss of G1 Monster High. Theres a whole thread about "Grief over the end of G1". To raise spirits though (pun intended), I thought it would be nice to talk about some things we actually do like about G2. We will never forget G1, and many will probably always prefer it, but that doesn't mean there isn't hope for G2 to be good in its own ways too.

• Moanica - Personally, I think Moanica is the best thing to come out of G2. I don't like that she has seemingly replaced Ghoulia (one of my absolute favorite characters), but I think she has the most unique look to her of the G2 dolls. Her faceup, with the side-glancing eyes, has a bit more of a G1 look to me. She also has a great signature outfit that is more on par with the outfits of G1 (if it had paint and a bit more detail). It makes me think that maybe Moanica was planned before the change.
  • Moulded Body Detailing - Say what you want, but I actually like the moulded stitches on Frankie, and I love Cleo's moulded wrapping. I especially like Cleo's because she always felt like she wasn't really a mummy--just a normal girl who occasionally wore mummy-wrap. I think the moulded mummy wrapping is super cool on her, and makes her look more like a real mummy. I would love to see someone dry-brush it to give it some paint detailing.
  • Joints - So I can't actually verify this, because I don't have a G2 doll near me to check, but I heard that the joints/limbs on the G2 dolls are slightly thicker. Again, I cant verify at the moment because the few G2 dolls I have are over an hour away with the rest of my MH collection, but I think I remember the limbs feeling a bit thicker and more sturdy. Thats a plus for me, because the limbs on G1 dolls could be a bit delicate sometimes (especially the arms)
  • The fact that G2 saved Monster High - This might be a slightly controversial opinion, but I am glad G2 came out, because it saved Monster High. Without some change to try and boost sales, the Monster High line would have ended. Even if we might not like a lot of the changes, I am glad they created G2 rather than ending the line entirely.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 01:47:01 PM by Crimson Kitty »
(Profile Art Drawn By PuffPink)

Offline VoidChilde

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Genderless Faerie
    • View Profile
Re: What do you like about G2?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 03:11:18 PM »
As the OP of the grief over G1, I feel a need to at least highlight the things I like about G2, because even though I'll always prefer G1, there are a few things I do like about G2.

• For me too, Moanica is a plus. She's fierce, her style is awesome and if I didn't follow the series and movies, I wouldn't even know she's a G2 character.
  • The new playsets - as someone who display their dolls in "lifelike" situations, the playsets are a huge plus, because I can make various scenes and pose my dolls in them.
  • New dolls of my favourite characters - I may hate the new faces but some of them didn't change and I'm so happy that Gooliope has a second doll, as well as Amanita.
  • Zomby Gaga - if G2 hadn't come around, Monster High would be gone and this particularly awesome doll would have never existed!

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • Squishy doll heads everywhere! :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 03:43:37 PM »
Hereís some of the things I like about G2 :

* The bodies ( mostly ). I like how stiff and solid they feel. I donít feel like the knee would break when Iím trying to put a shoe on or take it off. I also like how natural the new bodies look. Iím a little disappointed the arched back was toned down but at the same time I think it looks more natural. I also like how they buffed some of the boys :3 they used to be so skinny lol.
* The webisodes ( ghoul squad ) Personally, I love the new webisodes. They are adorable. I love the animation style of the ghoul squad and how bright and colorful it looks! I also kind of like how they are finding all the ghouls again. Especially when they were finding abbey.
* New collector dolls. I love abbey, zomby Gaga, and the Cleo and ghoulia two pack!
ISO Cupid and Holtís rings.
Wishlist: http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,14628.0.html

Offline rco55

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Two Left Hands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 04:24:25 PM »
I think G2 brought some awesome things with it that i love, as well!

- The animation style of the movies is amazing. I love how angular and fluid the models and animations are, and how sleek and solid it all looks. To be honest, I always felt G1 specials and movies had a weird smearing/blurry feel to them in the character models. Now if the head molds would've been like that, I would've been in love.

- There were some ghouls I straight up didn't like at all in their doll form on G1, namely Abbey and Venus. But I think they really benefit of the G2 features and molds, probably the best out of all of them.

- The buff boys! I kind of wish I didn't already have a Deuce and Clawd, so I could justify getting new ones. I'm not personally a fan of the mummy wraps on Cleo since wraps, unlike fur, do come off, but i love how the new dolls have a thicker body and better molded details.

- Moanica and Raythe, of course. I've been wanting a Raythe doll ever since i saw him.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 04:25:59 PM by rco55 »

Offline Ameyal

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 08:46:11 PM »
I like a lot of things of G2, even if I'm in the vast minority...
* The faces. While *some* of the "mean girl" look benefitted *some* characters in G1, I think a lot more beneffited of them in G2, specially girls like Draculaura, who has been always friendly and bubbly, now looks the part. I also like that they look now like teenagers and not girls in their 20's.
* Molded stuff. I'm preeeetty sure that the stuff we have seen in G2 would have been there since the beginning if they had know the juggernaut that MH would become. I appreciatte Lagoona's scales and Cleo's bandages the most. I would like for Draculaura to be shorter too, but oh well.
* The new animation. Both the specials and the Ghoul Squad. I love how fluid the movies look and how ... well, weird :p the ghouls squad is.
* I love the more streamlined canon, not having to guess what is canon for this movie and what isn't. Then again, they can change this at any time.
* I honestly like Frankie being a science nerd. I miss Ghoulia, but Frankie hving those traits is nice.
* LOVE their powers, and how they can kick butt in all their finery.
* I love their personalities, and how dude-bros Deuce and Raythe are. They in particular feel more like their own character instead of being the girls accesories, like most guys were in G1.
* I also love Twyla and how she seems to don't like Draculaura that much(OR at least spend time with her). Alivia and Fangelica are also nice.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 10:17:08 PM »
I'm not personally a fan of the mummy wraps on Cleo since wraps, unlike fur, do come off

That's just the thing. The wraps were never meant to come off. On a "real" mummy the wraps are pretty much part of the mummy. The only thing that's not great about the mummy wraps is we lose our best base for human customs.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline neon_jellyfish

• MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 03:18:11 AM »
Raythe! Also Raythe and Raythe.

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 06:32:02 AM »
I absolutely love the build of the boy dolls the most.  At first, I didn't notice much of a difference until I held DTFA Deuce and Scaris Deuce.  It looks so much better.  The original ones always looked like their chests were compressed or something.
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Scary Cute
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 08:33:43 AM »
I really like the Shriek Wrecked and Electrified lines a lot! The bright colors and 80's hair of Electrified is such an aesthetic! I don't have any Shriek Wrecked dolls yet, but I do have three Electrified dolls and I love them a lot!

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 09:23:53 AM »
I'm not personally a fan of the mummy wraps on Cleo since wraps, unlike fur, do come off

That's just the thing. The wraps were never meant to come off. On a "real" mummy the wraps are pretty much part of the mummy. The only thing that's not great about the mummy wraps is we lose our best base for human customs.

Well, in that case if you wanted her just for her human skintone, there are plenty of EAH dolls now that would also work.

And I agree with Konzern.  I love how buff Gill and Deuce are now.  Haven't had a chance to see Clawd IRL yet.
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline Shaz

• Midnight Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 10:57:02 AM »
* The sweet, friendly faces. I have G2 dolls of Frankie and Draculaura, and I think the faces really suit their personalities.

* The antics of Raythe and Deuce in the films and Ghoul Squad episodes.

* Draculaura's dad. His character in the films and episodes is probably my favourite thing to come out of G2.

* Don't forget that G2 also brought us The Legend of Shadow High, the EAH/MH crossover book, which I really enjoyed.

I must admit a lot of G2 canon makes no sense, but then G1 didn't always make sense and/or was really inconsistent. I just take the ideas I like and make up my own stories, so from that point of view, the switch to G2 really doesn't bother me that much. I will always love the awesome dolls and merchandise of G1 best, however. Which reminds me of one more thing I like about G2:

* Less dolls I want = good news for my finances, and means I have time and money to spend on older dolls! :)

Offline Ameyal

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 11:15:01 AM »
And I agree with Konzern.  I love how buff Gill and Deuce are now.  Haven't had a chance to see Clawd IRL yet.
Waaaait a sec.. I thought Gil had a G1 body? :o

* Draculaura's dad. His character in the films and episodes is probably my favourite thing to come out of G2.
Oh YES!
I'm not a fan of the bumbling dad stereotype, but I think Dracula is well balanced in that aspect, specially since the girls still have to be the ones to shine and save the day.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline rco55

• Two Left Hands
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 11:19:19 AM »

On a real mummy the wraps do come off, though.  Since they're cloth, they're just tightly secured around their bodies, but they rarely ever fuse with the skin. On the Ghoul Squad episodes her wraps come off in order for her to use them as ropes and stuff, so if they were fused with her skin, the whole thing would be...strange looking to say the least.

But! these are dolls made for little kids now. A real wrap would just end up lost within the first week, so I can see why they made it that way. If I ever do end up getting a G2 Cleo, i'll just paint her wraps or get her some real ones myself :biggrin:

Offline Ameyal

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 12:12:00 PM »
To be fair, I don't think Cleo is a "real" mummy as much a s a human covered in bandages, since the bandages were magical and stuff... and Cleo's backstory is that she(and Nefera and their dad) can't ever ever ever take their bandages off or she dies, so I always felt weird by basically murdering them everytime I redressed them...

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 04:02:07 PM »
Moanica.
She's an interesting antagonist and a beautiful doll.

I like Raythe, but I'd like him more if he had a doll.

I like the idea behind Threesa, Dayna and Silvi, although I'm not completely satisfied with the end result.

I like the idea of the molded details of Clawdeen, but that's about it.

I just wish all this new ideas had been better executed and had the love, soul and fun that G1 had.
The new story Canon could make sense if it had better and solid background. Right now the kids they keep finding are mostly teens in hiding and living by themselves. I don't think they had to start from scratch, they could have rescue part of the old Canon that made better sense (because of course I'm aware that it wasn't perfect) and adjust it.
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2018, 06:22:45 PM »
To be fair, I don't think Cleo is a "real" mummy as much a s a human covered in bandages, since the bandages were magical and stuff... and Cleo's backstory is that she(and Nefera and their dad) can't ever ever ever take their bandages off or she dies, so I always felt weird by basically murdering them everytime I redressed them...

Rofl! I kinda felt the same way about those bandages. XD

Me, after reading G1 diary: ďSo, like... Whenís sheís changing outfits, does she have to be super careful because MAGIC ANTI-DEATH BANDAGES are all that keep her tenuously tied to life?Ē O.O
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 06:24:51 PM by Nemesis »

Offline Claire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Down Undah Diva
  • Mess with gecko, you get a pecko
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 06:58:53 PM »
I love Shriek Wrecked, Garden Ghouls and Electrified. Shriek Wrecked has my favorite Lagoona ever and the Draculaura and Rochelle are great as well. I also like Draculaura's new face mold, it fits her character so much more. And Moanica is bae. <3

Offline Snow_Leopard

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 01:54:38 PM »
-All of Shriekwrecked, except for Gil & Clawdeen. Never been a Gil fan & that particular Clawdeen was plainer/tamer than I like my dolls. Everything else was solid. The nautical headdresses were my favorite.
-Raythe, who is probably the best looking male character to come out of MH.
-Collector's Abbey.  <3 her makeup. I'm all about those melty brows.
-Ballerina Moanica's shoes + tiara.
-Ghoulia & Cleo's "SDCC 2017" collector's release. That beautiful, beautiful packaging with the Egyptian motif=pure perfection.
-Getting another Amanita.
-Finally getting my name punned in the MH verse, albeit on a pixie-ish add-on charater("Beetrice"). Hey, I'll take it.
-Treesa. I loved the weird, branch-y arms everyone else hated. Wasn't into the growing gimmick much, but I loved how unique her mold was & finding all the little details in her was pretty exciting.
-Discovering that Dance the Fright Away Draculaura's hat was directly inspired by an item of clothing I own.
https://img.etsystatic.com/il/de3e12/377318451/il_570xN.377318451_bts6.jpg
I know that, because someone made a designer's inspiration board thread here a year ago or so.
-Cleo's molded on bandages.
Timeless beauty cast in plastic.

Offline biofreak659

• Glue-Seepage Head
  • Lab Goblin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2018, 11:08:18 PM »
-Molded fur and bandages. It's actually pretty cool to see a girly doll be hairy (esp considering how much of a fuss the G1 canon made over Clawdeen shaving, waxing, etc).
-I love Draculaura's new head sculpt (although hers is probably the only one)
-Dadcula
-A Dracula toy
-I like Moanica as a villian (I also love Nefera, so there's that).

All in all I'm not a fan of G2, mostly due to my deep hatred of the budget bodies (articulation was the best thing G1 had going for it), but it isn't awful.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 11:59:34 AM »
For me it's all about the new animations.  If I'm being honest, I really didn't care for the G1 webisodes or films at all; but I absolutely love the new movies! <3

DeviantArt  |  Flickr  |  Instagram

"They say nothing is impossible; but I do nothing every day."