collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

* Calendar

April 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28
29 30

No calendar events were found.

Author Topic: Questions on skirts/doll dresses.  (Read 279 times)

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • Squishy doll heads everywhere! :3
    • View Profile
Questions on skirts/doll dresses.
« on: February 07, 2018, 06:50:15 PM »
Hello! Since I have a few upcoming Doll customs from the danganronpa anime series I of course need some tips/helps for outfits. Currently I am working on Tsumugi Shirogane and Celestia Ludenberg. While Tsumugi has a school girl look and a simple enough skirt that doesn’t require poofiness, Celeste is a different story. If you look her up you can see she has a Lolita style with a poofy ish skirt/dress. I have currently finished making a shirt to fit her and start with. I then tried gathering a long rectangle and sewed it onto the shirt which left me with a very weird maxi skirt dress  :blink: I’m just glad it was scrap fabric.. i was thinking of cutting a large circle but I’m not sure how that would turn out. So, I am seeking help with how I should start or make my dress skirt. I’m wishing for it to be poofy and Lolita like. Here’s a reference pic
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
I’ve got the jacket (clawdia’s resized), shirt part, socks, shoes, and hat covered. I’m just having big trouble with the skirt I can probably sew ovals for the top portion and use my lace but I’m still not sure about the skirt part.. if anyone could help me please do! If I can figure it out with some help I will release a guide on making a Lolita dress along with a few patterns! Thank you!

[Moved to Clawdeen's Closet as this is a sewing question, not a customization question.  ~SaelaVe]
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 09:42:49 AM by SaelaVe »
ISO Cupid and Holtís rings.
Wishlist: http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,14628.0.html

Online VoidChilde

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • One-Eyed Ghoul
  • Genderless Faerie
    • View Profile
Re: Questions on skirts/doll dresses.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 11:51:24 PM »
Hmm, gathering a long rectangle is my usual method for lolita-esque skirts, what were the dimensions of your rectangle? Also where does your skirt sit on your doll? The one I made for Gooliope was a 6.6" x 4" cut on fold (so 13.2" x 4") and then gathered the top pretty tightly before sewing a waistband since it sits on her waist and added a eye and hook to close it and a back panel to hide the slight gap in the fabric since I didn't want to use velcro.

Otherwise, I know DGRequiem just released a cupcake lolita pattern and has many other lolita-esque patterns. Celeste's skirt also makes me think you could get the big ballgown pattern, shorten the skirt and add a second ruffle since from what I can tell, the skirt has two of them?

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • Squishy doll heads everywhere! :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 08:11:50 AM »
Iím not sure to be honest, I just gathered a good length rectangle I cut out the weird skirt sits about just a little above her waist. I gathered mine too on a sewing machine and attatched it. I think I was just clueless on what to do next.. I tried sewing outward from the waist of skirt to the bottom and it turned out trash.

Those look fun to try out! I just wish I could afford them lol. That might work. Yep! She has two of those ruffle things and some on the side. Thank you for helping me! I appreciate it :)
ISO Cupid and Holtís rings.
Wishlist: http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,14628.0.html

Offline DGRequiem

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
    • RequiemArt.com
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 05:50:56 AM »
Cupcake skirts are all math :)  You don't just cut a long rectangle, you have to cut a rectangle the right length for what you're sewing it to.

1:1 no ruffle.
2:1 decent amount of ruffle.  I like this ratio for ruffled trims and non-lolita ruffled skirts.
3:1 cupcake lolita ruffle. 
4:1 Too much ruffle unless you're going for a specific effect like a tulle tutu. 

Check out my Etsy Shop for custom dolls and doll clothes patterns!