collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 40
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

April 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 [21]
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30

Author Topic: Grief over the end of G1?  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Catsiy

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Scary Cute
    • View Profile
Re: Grief over the end of G1?
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 04:19:04 PM »
I gave the reboot a chance expect with the web-episodes because I really l loved the old series I wanted to keep that in my heart lol But with the new dolls it's depressing to walk into a store and see 4-5 dolls on the selves. It's not fun and the newer dolls made me lose interest. There's some of the new ones I liked in theory but when I saw them in person it made me sad. I've bought the Basic reboot Frankie, clawdeen, draculaura, Lagoona and cleo...and the party line but that's it. Even the new ballerina dolls couldn't get me to buy them.
I really want to keep collecting but the love/drive is gone... I think if they continue collectors dolls that might be it for me.
I've got stuff to trade! Take a look!
http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,11341.0.html

Offline Ameyal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2018, 04:34:02 PM »
While I miss the details and some of the opulence of G1, If I'm being honest, I like the lore of G2 a bit more. G1 had a TON of different continuities, and even if the supposedly same one there were a lot of plot holes. The diaries were my favorite part of the "canon", and I will always have them...
I like the new doll faces,  A LOT more than the old ones. Yes, some characters like Clawdeen and Cleo look better in the old one, but bubbly Draculaura, sparkly Frankie and no-longer-fishfaced Lagoona benefited a lot. At least they dont look like "life sucks" anymore. And they have cool superpowers now! And take-charge attitude. Old canon, half the girls would have lost agaisnt Moanica very fast.
About the only aspect I miss of G1 is the lack of Ghoulia as part of the main 6.  (Although that elevated Skelita to be their sixth ranger at least in merchandise last year, so there's that too)

Online VoidChilde

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • One-Eyed Ghoul
  • Genderless Faerie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 05:18:31 PM »
@Ameyal
The thing is that they are monsters. Lagoona is supposed to be fish-like, Frankie is literally sewn from various parts like her dad was, Draculaura is a vampire, Clawdeen is a werewolf and Cleo is a thousand-years-old mummy, they're supposed to look like monsters. Their new look is so human-like, it's toned down to the maximum, they look like they were just cosplaying monsters and now they're over it. They already had strong personalities and I don't think they would've lost to Moanica - look at how Frankie saved everyone from a huge robot-Frankenstein in Freaky Fusion! They worked together and overcame all the obstacles in every movie and webisodes with their wits and power in numbers. They already had powers related to their monster type, they didn't need to become "superhero" types. G2 looks like a sad attempt at empowering girls from characters who were already strong and relatable for many people. I personally felt "welcome" in G1, as if I would belong at Monster High if it existed.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2018, 11:57:16 PM »
Hmm... My feelings are mixed about G2.

As a whole, I wish it hadn’t happened. I wish G1 had lived on forever, immortal and unchanging (I also wish this of G1 MLP). Trouble is, that’s just not realistic. :( Sales were dropping, and MH was no longer the “it” toy... Mattel might just as easily have called it quits and pulled the plug on the brand altogether. Instead... we got G2.

I don’t really RESENT G2. There are elements of it I like (expanded families, Electrified, sculpted scales on Lagoona) and elements I LOATHE (the rebooted canon, GoofyDad!Dracula, the more kiddy-fied look of the dolls). At the end of the day though, I’ve gotten some nice dolls out of it. Sure, they lack the elegance and detail (and articulation :cry:) of G1... but I’m still glad to have them.

And... It’s not like a pack of Mattel repo-men busted down my door, marched into my display room, and hauled away all of my G1 stuff. I still have G1; the dolls, the books, the movies... everything. Just as a certain, terrible Jem and the Holograms movie cannot tarnish my love of the original 80s doll line... neither can G2 MH erase G1 MH from existence. Even G2’s erm... “sunnier”... canon doesn’t retcon G1’s canon out of existence. They’re two different universes, just like any other rebooted fiction (Transformers fans know what I’m talking about!). My personal preference is to create my own headcanon for the new dolls, so that I can work them into the G1 lore. (They’re MY dolls, and I’ll make them fit into whatever convoluted headcanon I please, thank you! XD)

Best advice? Just don’t sweat it too much. I’ve been with MH since the very beginning, and I’ll always miss the days when it was the “cool” toy. I’ll miss being able to waltz into any store and be drowning in MH and its competition. But that’s life: fads, toys, fashions, TV shows... all must one day come to an end. But the collectibles and toys we hoarded while they were around? Those are forever. ;)

As Tennyson once put it:
’Tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:59:29 PM by Nemesis »

Online VoidChilde

• One-Eyed Ghoul
  • Genderless Faerie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 12:46:52 AM »
I think the reason I hate it so much is that it's happening right as I'm actually starting to collect the dolls, meaning that most of the ones I really want are now discontinued and I have to pay double, even triple the original price for them. For example, here's a few prices from Amazon.ca, without shipping:

• Signature Catty Noir - lowest price $209.03CAN
  • Swim Class Rochelle Goyle - lowest price $105.58CAN
  • Astranova and her station - $79.99CAN
  • Boo York Nefera - $78.70CAN
  • Boo York Luna - $81.72CAN
  • Dot Dead Gorgeous 3-pack - $113.90CAN

And that's just a few that are on my wishlist, because some dolls and packs are sold at even higher prices, which means I cannot afford to get my dolls new anymore, except for a few. Even the fashions packs, which I love and I want a bunch of them, are really expensive (we're talking $40CAN and up). I don't really mind getting my dolls secondhand if they were well cared for but I don't feel like I will be able to buy all the dolls I want used because some of them are "precious" I guess? One of my most wanted dolls is Sirena Von Boo for example and I've never seen anyone selling her.

There's also the fact that I'm...really passionate about Monster High as a series, as well as the movies, and I get really emotional over fiction so this reboot is really bumming me out...

Offline Nemesis

• Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2018, 10:40:13 AM »
I think the reason I hate it so much is that it's happening right as I'm actually starting to collect the dolls, meaning that most of the ones I really want are now discontinued and I have to pay double, even triple the original price for them. For example, here's a few prices from Amazon.ca, without shipping:

• Signature Catty Noir - lowest price $209.03CAN
  • Swim Class Rochelle Goyle - lowest price $105.58CAN
  • Astranova and her station - $79.99CAN
  • Boo York Nefera - $78.70CAN
  • Boo York Luna - $81.72CAN
  • Dot Dead Gorgeous 3-pack - $113.90CAN

And that's just a few that are on my wishlist, because some dolls and packs are sold at even higher prices, which means I cannot afford to get my dolls new anymore, except for a few. Even the fashions packs, which I love and I want a bunch of them, are really expensive (we're talking $40CAN and up). I don't really mind getting my dolls secondhand if they were well cared for but I don't feel like I will be able to buy all the dolls I want used because some of them are "precious" I guess? One of my most wanted dolls is Sirena Von Boo for example and I've never seen anyone selling her.

There's also the fact that I'm...really passionate about Monster High as a series, as well as the movies, and I get really emotional over fiction so this reboot is really bumming me out...

Don’t be too intimidated by the Amazon prices—I’ve seen a lot of Sirenas going for under $15-$20 USD (used, but in good shape) on Ebay, Mercari, etc. :) Even in the midst of MH’s hayday, out-of-production, NIB dolls were scalped to the sky. It’s a bit more hassle, but tracking down most of the dolls you want at a reasonable price is very doable! ^_^

Online VoidChilde

• One-Eyed Ghoul
  • Genderless Faerie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2018, 11:09:08 AM »
Being Canadian, Ebay is very hit-and-miss with shipping prices, which are often a lot higher than the doll itself, and I don't really know any secondhand website that sells to Canada, so I usually rely on Amazon for all of my shopping purposes, especially dolls. I was really happy to join this forum since I've been able to find dolls I wanted for a lot cheaper than Amazon tries to sell them but...yeah, not being able to find any of them in stores anymore because the MH aisle is filled with the girly, wide-eyed princess-like dolls feels even more discouraging.

Offline Nemesis

• Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2018, 12:21:46 PM »
Ah. :/ Yeah, I hadn’t considered international S&H prices... those are no fun, I know. :( Maybe buying dolls in lots/bulk would help to consolidate the costs? A lot of people are selling off their collections right now, so there are some great deals to be scored. But I get where you’re coming from—it can be a pain trying to find a seller who’s willing to ship internationally.

In any case, buying/trading on forums and collector groups is a good idea, and I’m glad to hear you’ve had some successes with that. It will probably take a bit more patience to complete your collection that way, but it CAN be done. :) I wish you the best of luck in your doll hunting!

Offline FangedPisces

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Lagoona
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2018, 04:29:54 PM »
The loss of G1 hurts me. I've said it before, and I'll say it again- New Frankie is absolutely disgusting. She looks like she was hanging out with a bunch of Barbie dolls and she felt ashamed of being a monster, so she put on a bunch of makeup and tried to cover her stitches and is trying to look like a human. It's gross. It's no longer "Be yourself, be unique, be a monster". Now it's "fall in line, conform, be a cutesy airhead". As though the market wasn't drowning in pink-glitter dolls already. That's the really annoying part. Think what you want about the fact that some people like the reboot, but all I can think is "like you didn't have enough wide-eyed smiley nicey-nice dolls to choose from already."

I just hope that in the future, someone revives the idea of freaky monster dolls. It'll take a person with the guts to take a risk. Not like the people running the show now- they're cowards who would rather play it safe and offer clones of every other doll out there.

At least now there's a chance for us to finish our collections though, right? Remember when they kept coming out with gorgeous lines every other month, and we were like "...I have three dollars."? No more of that now! And as for clothes, there's always Haunt Couture and other amazing Etsy doll fashion stores.
♫~♫~I need an o~ce~an~♫~♫

Desperately Seeking Gothic Girl (Dollar General) slimbox dolls (non-monster version). Willing to pay for your time as well as shipping! Please PM me?

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Absolutely Abbeylicious
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Pet Collector
  • 100% Good Accented Rottish Ghoul
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2018, 02:06:01 AM »
I've seen this thread for a couple of weeks now, and I've been mulling over my response. I do feel grief over the end of G1; I never thought I would fall for Monster High, and it took someone else displaying dolls to get me into it. Once I watched the webisodes, I was hooked; the series was far more gruesome and clever than marketing would have you believe. I was never a doll person, not even as a child, and the dolls just got me in a few ways!

I love the movies, I'm in the process of buying them all again for the third time, and still have two Catty dolls with the itch to get the Clawdia ones again. I love the personality, the spark (heh), and the creativity. G2 feels safe, neutered and far too kiddy. I agree with the Frankie comments; I love original Frankie for being bright, bubbly, awkward, anxious a lot of the time, and an all-around good-hearted ghoul whose cliché clumsy factor comes from a clever place (how can you NOT be clumsy when your limbs literally have the habit of falling off?!). New Frankie feels like a wide-eyed blank slate who stole Ghoulia's defining brainy-ghoul characteristic.

I didn't mind the mish-mash old continuity too much; the disappearance of normies after Ghouls Rule could almost be completely missed apart from comments directed at Jackson and the normie-ness of Dr. Stein (Frankie's grandfather). Heck, you could theoretically just have made Dr. Stein a normie and simply not comment on it and no-one would raise TOO many questions. After all, Hexicah Steam is mostly normie but he's augmented if you didn't know that 'part-fae' part of his backstory (which I choose to ignore). The series seems to have decided that simply spending more time in the monster world was more interesting, and I agree. I understand paying homage to the classic films most of the original ghouls' inspiration was taken from, but a more heavily monster-based world was simply a ton more fun XD

I miss G1 terribly. I wish I had gotten into Monster High a lot earlier so I could have been on the ride longer (and gotten dolls cheaper), but I can't unlove the series because of how stupid G2 feels for me.
If I have not replied to you, please give me a PM! Super-busy and may miss some messages!

Offline Majesty

• Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2018, 05:32:13 PM »
I was upset over the announcement and seeing promotion pics.  The wider eyes and more friendly faces didn't appeal to me.  Also changing Cleo's mummy wrap to molded on mummy wrap instead of part of her outfit was just annoying to me.  Clawdeen's molded on fur didn't bother me as much as the fur is part of her physical body.

They don't look like high school kids to me anymore either, more like middle school as others have mentioned.

Changing Monster High from a high school to more like a dorm or a community center or something didn't appeal to me and having the parents be the teachers was just ridiculous.

I did come to accept it, I bought the movies which have been out so far and bought the basics of the main characters and the two pack with Moanica and Draculaura and I bought a few of the Electrified dolls.

I still prefer the originals and I think I'd be OK with doing away with G2 Monster High all together.  It just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

Offline Nemesis

• Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2018, 06:53:02 PM »
At least now there's a chance for us to finish our collections though, right? Remember when they kept coming out with gorgeous lines every other month, and we were like "...I have three dollars."? No more of that now! And as for clothes, there's always Haunt Couture and other amazing Etsy doll fashion stores.
^
This has been the silver lining of G2, for me. The infrequent “deluxe” lines (and the often-iffy designs/quality of those) mean more cash for filling in the blanks of my G1 collection. Aaand more cash for sewing/customizing. :) Brands die, but not fandoms.

Offline rco55

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Two Left Hands
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2018, 06:48:33 PM »
Quite honestly, as an artist and aspiring character designer, i'm so sad they took this route with MH.

If It had been up to me, I would've made a compromise along the lines of:

- Keep the articulation on the dolls, and make the new headmolds/faceups look like the ones from the new movies (More angular and realistic than G1. As much as they look childish, I love that angular style)

- Keep the details, just make them bigger so the new demographic won't have issues.

- Keep the canon, just alter it slightly so it doesn't upset your current demographic.

Instead they just went full kiddie, and, oh well :(
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 06:50:18 PM by rco55 »

Offline Majesty

• Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2018, 01:18:23 PM »
I go Walmart in different areas and even Targets and it's depressing.  All I see are budget dolls and maybe Emoji dolls.  I don't even see Monster High minis anymore.

I like the idea that people can catch up with their collections now but the problem with that is people online like to charge for dolls way more than their worth because they're not sold in stores anymore so they're worth tons of money.

I'm still trying to get a signature Abbey (doesn't matter to me if her boots are showing or not) but the cheapest amazon sellers have her for is $89.  I won't pay that much.

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • Squishy doll heads everywhere! :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2018, 01:33:24 PM »
I go Walmart in different areas and even Targets and it's depressing.  All I see are budget dolls and maybe Emoji dolls.  I don't even see Monster High minis anymore.

I like the idea that people can catch up with their collections now but the problem with that is people online like to charge for dolls way more than their worth because they're not sold in stores anymore so they're worth tons of money.

I'm still trying to get a signature Abbey (doesn't matter to me if her boots are showing or not) but the cheapest amazon sellers have her for is $89.  I won't pay that much.

Yeah, it really stinks. You could just walk into Walmart or any store in 2011-2012 and find gorgeous signatures like toralei, nefera, operetta, holt, etc. and for actually reasonable prices. I was VERY lucky to find tons of signatures on offerup in box for cheap. I actually just sold my signature abbey in box on Mercari a few months ago. you can find dolls for great prices on there. But to get back on topic, I hate seeing we’re getting ugly low quality dolls now compared to back when when we were getting amazingly gorgeous and detailed dolls. I mean, some dolls even had rings! Rings! They had articulation, ACTUAL clothing, and even pets/diaries! Now we’re getting dolls with half molded clothing, horrible articulation ( if any LOL ), and no sight of extra accessories. Maybe you’ll get a purse if you’re lucky. Just to clarify, Amazon sellers are outrageous with their prices. eBay has much better pricing, you can even negotiate sometimes.
ISO Cupid and Holt’s rings.
Wishlist: http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,14628.0.html

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2018, 05:21:27 PM »

Try the MH Arena sale threads, Facebook groups, garage sales and flea markets.
There are still some appearing on Ebay at decent prices every now and then, but yeah, a lot of dolls are getting expensive by the minute

Post Merge: February 19, 2018, 05:25:21 PM

But to get back on topic, I hate seeing we’re getting ugly low quality dolls now compared to back when when we were getting amazingly gorgeous and detailed dolls. I mean, some dolls even had rings! Rings! They had articulation, ACTUAL clothing, and even pets/diaries! Now we’re getting dolls with half molded clothing, horrible articulation ( if any LOL ).

I think that's the main reason we now sound like a bunch of crybabies.
We were spoil rotten with so many good features and quality that we think we deserve a good product.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 05:25:22 PM by nassib »
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Online VoidChilde

• One-Eyed Ghoul
  • Genderless Faerie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2018, 06:25:22 PM »
But to get back on topic, I hate seeing we’re getting ugly low quality dolls now compared to back when when we were getting amazingly gorgeous and detailed dolls. I mean, some dolls even had rings! Rings! They had articulation, ACTUAL clothing, and even pets/diaries! Now we’re getting dolls with half molded clothing, horrible articulation ( if any LOL ).

We were spoil rotten with so many good features and quality that we think we deserve a good product.

I don't think any of us sounds like crybabies for expecting good quality. I mean, we do deserve a good product, I don't think any of us would have started collecting Monster High dolls if they were ugly and low-quality in the beginning, but what Mattel did was grab our attention with wonderful dolls and now that we're hooked up, we're getting scraps of plastic pretending to be our beloved characters. Some lines are still pretty (Shriekwrecked is adorable for example), but just put the "Sleepover" line next to the "Dead Tired" one and the difference in quality is obvious.

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • Squishy doll heads everywhere! :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2018, 06:30:50 PM »

I don't think any of us sounds like crybabies for expecting good quality. I mean, we do deserve a good product, I don't think any of us would have started collecting Monster High dolls if they were ugly and low-quality in the beginning, but what Mattel did was grab our attention with wonderful dolls and now that we're hooked up, we're getting scraps of plastic pretending to be our beloved characters. Some lines are still pretty (Shriekwrecked is adorable for example), but just put the "Sleepover" line next to the "Dead Tired" one and the difference in quality is obvious.
This is so true. Now we’re even losing people because of these nasty new dolls. And put the comic book dolls next to power ghouls. Quality is even more obvious. I wish Mattel would just listen to their customers. I mean, even moose does.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 06:34:51 PM by modernmonsterhigh »
ISO Cupid and Holt’s rings.
Wishlist: http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,14628.0.html

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2018, 08:55:46 PM »

Just to be clear, I do think I sound like a cry baby :( Mattel showed me the heaven and then took it away and broke me -insert hours of more fake drama-

but by no means did I intended to say that any of you sound like me ^^U
Sorry if that was not clear
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline Crimson Kitty

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Pet Collector
  • Doll Lover Forever After!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2018, 06:11:29 AM »

Just to be clear, I do think I sound like a cry baby :( Mattel showed me the heaven and then took it away and broke me -insert hours of more fake drama-

but by no means did I intended to say that any of you sound like me ^^U
Sorry if that was not clear
No, haha, I feel like a crybaby :sheepish: Or at least I did. I completely stopped collecting Monster High. I refused to buy any dolls after Freak Du Chic. I basically gave up on Monster High without giving it the final chance. I think it helped that I was becoming interested in some other dolls, so it was easy for me to just stop collecting, blame it on the reboot, and not look back. I really missed Monster High though, and I finally got over it a bit recently when I watched some Ghoul Squad, saw the new movie animation, and realized that I actually really like the G2 canon. Even if they look a bit less gothic and 'monstery', the show itself has some aspects that are way cooler to me--like that they finally have their monster powers that I've been wanting since the start of G1. I remember originally thinking that Count Fabulous was supposed to be Draculaura as a bat, and I was so confused/disappointed when I found out he was her pet :haha:  There are some things about G2 that I just cannot do (like the super basic no-articulation budget lines *shudders*), but I think I will buy all the core dolls G2 signatures and all of the exclusive dolls and cherry pick the other ones that I like (like Moanica and certain versions of other characters). I guess it's a matter of finding the light within the shadows. Once I found some stuff I liked about G2, it was easier to like the G2 dolls for their own reasons.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 06:13:00 AM by Crimson Kitty »
Looking For Nude+Pants&Shoes Sig Dexter, ZS Purrsephone, Sea Monster CAM, and nude FDC Clawdeen.
Also looking for certain articles of Barbie clothing. Check out my Wantlist: Want List!
(Profile Art Drawn By PuffPink)