collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 31
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

September 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29

Author Topic: Grief over the end of G1?  (Read 3477 times)

Offline VoidChilde

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Genderless Faerie
    • View Profile
Grief over the end of G1?
« on: February 01, 2018, 06:20:31 PM »
I've tried getting into the reboot and I just...can't. I hate it. I'm not saying it's bad or anything and I'm glad there are people who like it but personally, I cannot stand the new webisodes and movies. The characters have very two-dimensional personalities: where is our Cleo de Nile, the one who could be an absolute pest but also a real sweetheart with her friends? Instead I feel like they made "good" characters and "bad" characters, they changed everyone's backstory, the new dolls look like they're barely 12 rather than 14+, their outfits are far from fierce, the boys have all but disappeared into the background (why is Cleo not with Deuce?
 where is Clawd? Gil?), the whole thing gives me the impression that Mattel changed their demographic to kids rather than preteens and teens. And I'm really sad. I love those dolls and I love the lore of Monster High and the movies made me laugh and smile and now I feel like it's over. Is anyone else grieving the loss of G1 in favour of this reboot?

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Monster Hunter
  • "there are tiny squishy MH tiny people"
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
Re: Grief over the end of G1?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 07:47:22 PM »
the whole thing gives me the impression that Mattel changed their demographic to kids rather than preteens and teens

In short, they did.  :(

Also, the reboot isn't my favourite thing ever but I have a handful of dolls from it now. I was pretty sad about it when I first heard about it originally- but the thing is, all the old dolls, my whole G1 collection, the old movies- they're not gone, and they remain unchanged. G1 stuff is still there and it's still the same G1 stuff we loved before. You can still watch all the same movies, enjoy your old dolls, buy more older dolls secondhand, etc. (This is why I could never understand why people were selling off their entire G1 collections just because G2 came out) Plus, it does kind of raise their value a bit, being discontinued now. I always find it interesting when my dolls go up in value, however it doesn't really affect me because I keep all the dolls I buy (I've only ever sold like, one, and it's because she was a duplicate.)
I might be a little conditioned to this because of previously being in the MLP community from a very young age, so I've been through many gen changes with them and always had to just deal with it.

I do admit, I'm still kinda bummed too. What I miss most is going into the doll aisles and seeing all the amazing MH dolls of all different lines, thinking long and hard in there about which of the amazing dolls I wanted, and then going home and unboxing them and taking all the time to look over every single one of the insane details. Even when I get a G2 doll now, I unbox them and that's it as far as new and exciting surprises go- there are none, because the details and effort are just gone from this line, unfortunately.
I also miss finding the occasional rare doll out in the wild and being totally blown away by it, every time.

While I wish MH would've continued the way it was, I don't have to like the reboot and can stick to the original G1 MH, keep all my old dolls and watch all the old movies, collect more older dolls secondhand, and get into other things as well. I've been getting more and more (and more and more and more...) into BJDs since "the end" of MH (in my mind), and then every so often a random new G2 character will catch my eye and I'll get them too.
It's not the same, and it's sad to see lines end, but unfortunately that's how things go so I just try to make the best of it.
Also Esbayne on the MLP Arena, PonyIsland, and pretty much everywhere else.
Looking for Ghouls Rule Cleo's necklace + scarf!

:kitty:

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • Squishy doll heads everywhere! :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 07:52:00 PM »
Me, actually. I hate how childish everything looks now. Maybe they should call it Monster middle school. I hate how ugly the dolls look. You used to be able to get a quality MH doll for the same price as these budget cheerleader demons with molded clothing and no articulation. Pretty much everything changed except the names. The only thing I kind of like is the boys and how buff they are lol. I won’t be buying anything other than the rivals two pack, reboot boys, lots of looks ( just for clothes, dolls can burn in hell ),howleen,  and maybe a rainy day venus. Other than that no thanks.
ISO Cupid and Holt’s rings.
Wishlist: http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,14628.0.html

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 08:13:27 PM »
the whole thing gives me the impression that Mattel changed their demographic to kids rather than preteens and teens

In short, they did.  :(

Yep.

If you look at the recommended age range of the G1 dolls, they were generally listed as being for ages 6-15.  The G2 dolls are listed as being for ages 6-10.

So yes, they did change their target demographic, cutting teens and 'tweens out entirely.

DeviantArt  |  Flickr  |  Instagram

"They say nothing is impossible; but I do nothing every day."

Offline VoidChilde

• Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Genderless Faerie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 08:57:33 PM »
I do like Moanica as a doll but as a character, I find her flat and cliché. So far all the villains still had redeeming qualities about them or else they were defeated and disappeared. None of the students are bad people, even if they're not always nice (ex. Cleo), so Moanica is sort of...I don't know. Very few new dolls have caught my eye (I do like Ballerina Moanica and Cleo but I'll probably be customizing Cleo either into an OC or back to her original self depending on how her new face mold is done), but I'm keeping an eye out for them either way because I like customizing and collecting clothes for future patterns and ideas. The thing that bugs me the most is that the freaky, edgy, monster dolls are being turned into nice, clean, "normal" versions of themselves and they got even got rid of the idea of freaky flaws, turning it into a "monster quirk". It's like listening to the clean version of a song you know is explicit: there are words missing or changed and now you have to listen to this proper, kid-friendly song instead of its original version. I'm bad at metaphors, sorry.

Offline neon_jellyfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 02:58:40 AM »
I kinda miss the 'looking forward to new stuff' feeling, but otherwise I've made my peace with the reboot. I don't like the new design - I have 2 reboot dolls and that's it. I would have bought Cleo with cat, but she's almost 50 USD around here, and that's just not worth it. But!!! As Esbayne said, I still have all my beloved dolls from G1, and can watch the old movies and webisodes, and I enjoy hunting for the G1 dolls that still remain on my wishlist.

For me, the reboot came just when I started to take interest in other, much more expensive dolls, so it's kind of a relief. It feels good to know that I'm getting closer and closer to completing my MH collection, and it feels good to know that soon I'll be able to focus my attention and finances to other dolls. It's sad to see G1 end, but on the other hand, it feels like I've witnessed something exceptional, I've been there from the start to the end (of G1, not MH as a whole) and the fact that it happened in a circumscribed period of time makes it feel more special. Which is totally unfair to those who came later, but I'm selfishly feeling like I'm lucky.

One thing I really, really love about reboot is Raythe. If he ever gets a doll, I'm getting him!!!

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 06:33:03 AM »
I still grieve about them all.
Yes, I try to be respectful toward everyone that's into the reboot.
I just can't connect with it.
I bought some dolls, mostly because I don't want regret moments later on.
Mostly one signature doll of each of the core girls (except Cleo, her dance dance the fright away is nicer). One signature for each new characters and all the Moanicas (the only doll I actually like from this G2).
Other than that, I have not decided if I'll be getting one version of each character from this G2, because I'm not convinced.
I watched some old webisodes recently and almost cried. They were so funny and cute, and I feel so sad to see that their present are these lifeless souless films and webisodes.
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 07:34:57 AM »
I haven't grieved over it, but I am sad the original concept is gone.  For the first time, after they released the Garden Ghouls, I did not get the new characters like Treesa (she's so big).  Nor will I probably get the Monster Family dolls, altho I haven't decided.  I wouldn't mind having Dracula, albeit with some real hair rooted in.

While I'm also not keen on the new faces of reboot Frankie, Cleo, etc. I do like *some* of their clothes and I've also enhanced some of them too.  For instance, I shortened sig reboot Frankie's skirt to make it look more like a mini skirt, and I spray painted gold Cleo's accessories.  I've put them on my G1 MH ghouls.  I did like reboot Clawdeen's hair and face but not the eyes, so I managed to repaint them slightly to resemble her original look. I have tried to get into the new bodies but I just can't like them (just my own preference). 

MH may be marketed towards 6 to 10 year olds, but it feels to me more like they're targeting 4 to 6 year olds instead with all the little girl-ish themes.  I call the new line "Little Girl High."  The detailed stuff and more tween/teen themes have ben replaced with childish ones.  Sad.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 07:38:25 AM by Wuvmykitties »
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 07:40:48 AM »
For a while, it really hurt.  My sister had been collecting since the start, and I helped her hunt for the longest before joining in myself.  I haven't watched any of the new canon, and I never intend to.  It just looks all around bad, and from what i hear, it's certainly been "little kidded" down.  And I really hate that some characters will probably be "locked" out of the new line, for lack of a better word.

But I've finally accepted that's OK.  I really would not want to see what they'd do to Jackson and Holt, for example.  I'd kind of like to see Holt with the buffer build, but that's about it. 

We did buy a few, but of the Gen 2 dolls, my sister might just keep her Venuses, mainly because she has every Venus.  Browsing the toy aisle now is just more wanting to pat the dolls that are left and apologize for what happened to them. 

Gen 2 was also definitely a "let's sit back and see which ones I really enjoyed from Gen 1" moment for me.  I had picked up a lot I thought I liked at the time, and well, looking at this kiddification definitely makes you look at and appreciate the ones that you really, really loved from the start.  So, while it's not all bad, there's not much MH coming into the house anymore.  That part is what truly sucks, because MH had been huge in the family for the longest time, even our dad would keep an eye out for certain ones for us.
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline Carrehz

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Monster Hunter
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 07:43:29 AM »
I do admit, I'm still kinda bummed too. What I miss most is going into the doll aisles and seeing all the amazing MH dolls of all different lines, thinking long and hard in there about which of the amazing dolls I wanted, and then going home and unboxing them and taking all the time to look over every single one of the insane details. Even when I get a G2 doll now, I unbox them and that's it as far as new and exciting surprises go- there are none, because the details and effort are just gone from this line, unfortunately.

-nod- that's where I am, too.

I miss G1 a lot. Most of the post-reboot dolls just don't do it for me, and half of them aren't even coming out over here. Most places around here don't stock MH any more so it's pretty much finished. I miss MH a lot.

But.. -shrug- it's hardly the first toyline this has happened to. I collect other stuff so I guess this just means it's time to focus on something else, or something.

Offline Kara Zor-El

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 07:45:17 AM »
I don't feel grief, but I do feel frustration, because I don't feel that a reboot was ever the answer to issues popping up in the Monster High line. 
I make the dolls Mattel won't.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 09:19:27 AM »
I don't think I dislike the reboot quite as much as most people, but then again I also only got into Monster High a few months ago when it was already in full force, so I went in already seeing reboot dolls in stores and having to get G1 dolls thrifting and online.

I haven't seen any of the reboot cartoon stuff yet, so I can't offer my opinion on those.

In terms of dolls, it's really annoying that the number of budget dolls compared to fully articulated dolls seems to have increased. Another frustrating thing is that most dolls don't come with stands anymore. The only reboot doll I've bought who has a stand is Party Hair Draculaura.

While the reboot dolls in general is a step down, there are some dolls that I like a lot. Ignoring Party Hair Draculaura's more limited articulation, her dress and long hair is really cute. I also like the aesthetic of the Electrified line a lot, so I want to try completing it. Though Electrified Frankie's electronic function makes her body weird and clunky, but the line's 80's hair and neon colors is wonderful IMO, so I want all of the Electrified dolls.

EDIT: Oh forgot about the Shriekwrecked line since I don't have any of its dolls yet, but I like that line as well.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 06:10:28 PM by TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 »

Offline QuirkyCat

• Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 08:32:34 PM »
I don't feel grief, but I do feel frustration, because I don't feel that a reboot was ever the answer to issues popping up in the Monster High line.
^^^ so true. I feel like they could have done other things .

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 02:33:21 AM »
I like the reboot dolls and cartoon well enough but I miss how MH used to be popular enough that it had random merch and even inspired dollar store fakies. I miss the huge dolls and fashion heads 3rd party companies would make. I miss how for a brief time dollar stores had dolls that were more interesting than the usual wanna-be Barbies and Disney Princesses. I miss Midnight Magic and the Gothic Pets. I miss how stores used to get exclusives when now we are lucky if all stores even carry the lines. I can't help but think if the ballet line came out when MH was more popular we might have even gotten a few more dolls as store exclusives.

So my sadness isn't with the reboot itself but with the idea that it wasn't enough to save the brand and now its dying.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline nassib

• Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 07:33:07 AM »
Oh I also grieve about the Canon stories. Yeah sure, they had inconsistencies here and there as diaries, books and webisodes had different continuity not always matching, but I liked the stories each were telling.
I loved the world they had created.
I can't love the Draculaura, Frankie & friends school.
The lack of Mr Wolf. The softy Dracula. He was the first doll of a new character that I decided not to buy because I dislike both his character and his doll.
I dislike the extended families so much. I don't need them to give sisters and brothers for everyone, if a wanted kid sisters I would buy Barbies and friends and family. And to make them even worse, the only ones that are big enough to be worth it are so disarticulate that I just can't get them. I hope to some day find a doll with articulation that I can swap heads for Kelpie. Not sure about Alivia. But won't get them until I'm sure it's possible

Which reminds me how much I grieve for Clawdeen's extended family. I love her story and her original siblings. And even though they have brought back 2 of them, they have not mention them in the show. And I don't like how they redid howleen's new body (articulation and facewise) it just makes me miss even more all their past.
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline VoidChilde

• Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Genderless Faerie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 09:54:58 AM »
@nassib
The G1 canon is what I miss the most. Even if I dislike most of the new dolls, I can still repaint, reroot and redress them. But I can't change the new webisodes or movies and I really dislike all the new stories. The new little siblings are just weird to me, they were never mentioned before and like...if the De Nile family was stuck in a tomb for centuries, how did they manage with Lux and Sandy? I haven't watched the new webisodes because I hate the new look of it so I don't know if Cleo's backstory is still similar. But if not, then Amanita is going to be entirely changed too and since she was a pretty "scary" monster, being a corpse flower and all, she might even just disappear entirely. Lagoona's family was in GSR, she already had Kelpie and her three brothers so why did they gave her another sister (Ebbie)? Why does Clawdeen have so many little brothers when her mother appears to be alone (did Clawdeen's dad just leave after she gave birth to this awfully large litter of puppies??)? There's pretty much nothing that I like about the new story...

Offline nassib

• Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 12:39:22 PM »
@VoidChilde
That's exactly my point!
We were actually discussing Clawdeen absent father today here at my house.
According to the new series there hasn't been an actual mention of him, it was just that Clawdeen lived in a cave with her family and they all moved to the security of monster high.
Cleo's back story is the same, she was trapped in a tomb, but there's not much explanation. Her extended family hasn't really made it the the show. Ghoulia did made it to her diary, where Nefera and her father were mentioned, and Ghoulia was the one who managed to unlock the tomb before the G2 came to rescue Cleo, but she (Ghoulia) hid when they heard voices and Cleo agreed to go to MH with the Ghouls leaving Ghoulia hidden in the dark. - This according to the diaries of the collectors Ghoulia-Cleo 2pack... So not only the story cuts Cleo family there only to have it little siblings appear out of nowhere, it's also incredibly mean to my favorite character
And all this idiotic situation makes me grieve more.
I want to read the new novels to see if there something worth there.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline LightningBolt

• Undead lunatic
  • Monster Hunter
  • Give me envy give me malice give me your attention
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2018, 01:32:33 PM »
@nassib
The G1 canon is what I miss the most.
Same, while I'm not fond of a majority of the new dolls too, at least there are a few of those I still enjoy. But the old movies and specials and diaries and webisodes had so much more interesting story, backstory, lore, and personality than current whatever has. Makes me sad as I really loved watching the G1 movies over and over and now there will be no new ones.

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Monster Hunter
  • "there are tiny squishy MH tiny people"
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2018, 05:46:06 PM »
Ghoulia did made it to her diary, where Nefera and her father were mentioned, and Ghoulia was the one who managed to unlock the tomb before the G2 came to rescue Cleo, but she (Ghoulia) hid when they heard voices and Cleo agreed to go to MH with the Ghouls leaving Ghoulia hidden in the dark. - This according to the diaries of the collectors Ghoulia-Cleo 2pack

Love the continuity with her Gloom & Bloom diary. That one talks about how she became trapped in the tomb, her mother died, and how Amanita escaped and left them to rot.
Really love how they picked up right where that left off with Ghoulia rescuing her from the tomb. And that just ties up so many loose ends for me (Always wondered why Cleo favored Ghoulia- Didn't buy the new SDCC set so I didn't read the diary)

Ohhh, sigh. G1 canon.
It will forever rule in my mind.
Also Esbayne on the MLP Arena, PonyIsland, and pretty much everywhere else.
Looking for Ghouls Rule Cleo's necklace + scarf!

:kitty:

Offline RodimusKnight

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 01:04:44 PM »
@VoidChilde
That's exactly my point!
We were actually discussing Clawdeen absent father today here at my house.
According to the new series there hasn't been an actual mention of him, it was just that Clawdeen lived in a cave with her family and they all moved to the security of monster high.
Cleo's back story is the same, she was trapped in a tomb, but there's not much explanation. Her extended family hasn't really made it the the show. Ghoulia did made it to her diary, where Nefera and her father were mentioned, and Ghoulia was the one who managed to unlock the tomb before the G2 came to rescue Cleo, but she (Ghoulia) hid when they heard voices and Cleo agreed to go to MH with the Ghouls leaving Ghoulia hidden in the dark. - This according to the diaries of the collectors Ghoulia-Cleo 2pack... So not only the story cuts Cleo family there only to have it little siblings appear out of nowhere, it's also incredibly mean to my favorite character
And all this idiotic situation makes me grieve more.
I want to read the new novels to see if there something worth there.

Lets be honest, as far as the diaries in the two pack goes, it could be a mostly G1 story up to the "postscript" in Ghoulia's Diary. Like it was added at the last moment before production. I mean seriously, in G1 Cleo could be a witch in her own right, but how much worse is she in G2 if she met her destined best friend, and then not only did she not go back and grab her when the other ghouls showed up, but totally forgot about her when they started gathering monsters.

It was a terrible add to that diary.