collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 28
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

October 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

Author Topic: Your Doll "Thank Goodness!" and "D'OH!" Moments  (Read 1283 times)

Offline FangedPisces

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Lagoona
    • View Profile
Your Doll "Thank Goodness!" and "D'OH!" Moments
« on: January 29, 2018, 05:44:42 PM »
I'm looking on eBay right now for Ghoul Fair Howleen, and the prices are killing me. $18 for her loose without accessories, $39 for her NIB?!? How much is that dumb balloon worth?? And Fairest on Ice Duchess is nearing $50?!? And Signature Holly is $95?!?! Ohhh, if only I'd jumped on these things when they first came out. Doll D'OH Moments

Then as I'm looking, I see that Dragon Games Poppy is $75. I waited crouched like a tiger for that doll and sprang to Wal-Mart the day she was released to snag her, and I am so glad that I did. Same thing with Haunted Rochelle- I waited online at Wal-Mart and hit that "Add to Cart" button so dang fast... now she's pushing $50 loose, and I feel like I dodged a bullet with both of these ladies. Doll "Thank Goodness!" Moment

What are your dolly D'OH/Thank Goodness! Moments?
♫~♫~I need an o~ce~an~♫~♫

Desperately Seeking Gothic Girl (Dollar General) slimbox dolls (non-monster version). Willing to pay for your time as well as shipping! Please PM me?

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • Squishy doll heads everywhere! :3
    • View Profile
Re: Your Doll "Thank Goodness!" and "D'OH!" Moments
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 06:49:11 PM »
I have a few actually,
First up is my mint in box abbey. She was online for $10 for awhile and no one was buying her? I just bought her and since it was my first purchase I got a discount too! I later sold her to an abbey lover for $50 :)
Next is my dawn of the dance draculaura, I was the first to see the listing and there was 4 for $40 she was only missing her hat so I got her for $7 plus shipping and later found her hat in a lot.
Next, I found Londoom 3-pack for $30. The seller really wanted it gone and so I asked if they could do $20 free ship. I feel bad though they only made $11 off of it but Iím glad I got it mint inbox. ( hilariously i was thinking of buying another dawn of the dance lala for $70 and the person said they were looking for Londoom 3 pack. I responded saying I have it but they would have to trade a bit more and then they got mad saying I was trying to scam when clearly they were trying to get a rare in box doll set for just a VERY incomplete DotD lala. They overpriced many of their items other than that :/ )
Lastly, I found date night raven and dexter for $8 mint in box and surprisingly it was on sale for awhile.
A sad story but I saw someone sell Cupid, Rochelle, ghoulia all signature for $5 mint in box :/ they said I could pick up tomorrow but of course that was a lie since they never responded to me after that :mad:
I actually found lots of my howleens for cheap on eBay and found ghoul fair for $9 mint in box. Just donít jump on every single offer you see. Wait and you will find one for cheaper and/or better condition. Good luck to you! :)
Check amazon, whole bunch of rediculous prices and sellers
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 06:51:31 PM by modernmonsterhigh »
ISO Cupid and Holtís rings.
Wishlist: http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,14628.0.html

Online Konzern

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 08:04:19 PM »
Our biggest D'OH will always be basic Nefera.  It was before I collected myself, but I hunted for my sister.  I held a Nefera out to her in stores, and she did not want her at the time.  Also, honestly not giving EAH a chance.  I found myself liking so much in the last year or two, mainly due to Duchess, and yeah.  So many slipped away.  I saw at least one of every most sought after ones (Fairest on Ice, Spring Unsprung Kitty, Basic Dexter, Basic Alistair.) and never picked any up.

But we've had some great moments.  Biggest one to come to mind was my sister's Fairest on Ice Duchess.  She found not only Duchess to be a pretty character, but she's voiced by one of her favorite voice actresses, so she definitely has to have every Duchess.  We found a big clearance deal going on, and Fairest on Ice Duchess and Ashlynn were $5.  Leaving Ashlynn behind was another D'OH in hindsight, but we do have Duchess.  I can't think of any great MH moments, except maybe finding the one Billy we saw in the wild, he was hidden in the very back.  Most of the expensive or rare dolls we found just sitting on shelves, and they wound up becoming sought after ones.   Other than my sister's basic Jackson, and my Valentine and Whisp, we never had to buy any online.
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline VoidChilde

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Genderless Faerie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 09:11:51 PM »
My biggest D'OH doll moment is definitely not starting to collect the Monster High dolls when they started coming out. I watched the webseries and did want the dolls but I never committed to it and...well, now I have to buy them secondhand or for expensive prices.

My only Thank Goodness! moment so far was finding Shriekwrecked Gooliope at TRU in a sea of Treesas and reboot unarticulated MH dolls last week! She was the only one left and she isn't wonky at all, her makeup is pretty much perfect, her hair is nice and soft and there's no glue seepage (yet at least), even her mold is all nice and smooth and I haven't seen any raised seams!

Offline FangedPisces

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Lagoona
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 09:40:59 PM »
Also, honestly not giving EAH a chance.  I found myself liking so much in the last year or two, mainly due to Duchess, and yeah.

I didn't give EAH a chance when it first came out either!  My intro to them was Cupid being pulled from the monster world to the E.A.H world, and I resented it deeply because I loved the idea of Cupid being a monster* and was resentful that she was going to be pulled away and given to what seemed to be another girly, pretty princess cartoon when there were already hundreds. I thought it would pull the attention away from the new "scary cool" fad, that kids would drop monsters in favor of the same old sparkegarbage, and everything would go back to the same old lack of variety in toys for girls.

But then it turned out that since EAH was about princesses, the creators were bending over backwards to make the show empowering and not about romance, but about girls being strong and smart. I mean they really pushed the strong girls who work for their future and take charge "and don't need no man" message. Hilariously, I came to realize that Monster High had the exact opposite thing going on- since they were "scary" and "creepy", the creators spammed it with love and romance to the point where every single one of the main ghouls (except Clawdeen) had a romantic partner and 90% of the stories were love-romance-dating related, which got super annoying once I realized it. EAH had comparatively little romance. Only Ashlynn had an actual boyfriend, and most of the rest weren't concerned with dating. I wish I'd realized that sooner.

*I mean, can you imagine being forced to be in love with someone against your will? Or being forced to fall in love with someone you hate? Love doesn't mean liking, so it's got to be horrible. Like, imagine being in love with a huge, hairy tarantula? You're in love with it, but it terrifies you, but you want it, but you can't stand the sight of it, but it's all you think about. Horror.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 09:45:25 PM by FangedPisces »
♫~♫~I need an o~ce~an~♫~♫

Desperately Seeking Gothic Girl (Dollar General) slimbox dolls (non-monster version). Willing to pay for your time as well as shipping! Please PM me?

Online Konzern

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 06:50:33 AM »
Also, honestly not giving EAH a chance.  I found myself liking so much in the last year or two, mainly due to Duchess, and yeah.

I didn't give EAH a chance when it first came out either!  My intro to them was Cupid being pulled from the monster world to the E.A.H world, and I resented it deeply because I loved the idea of Cupid being a monster* and was resentful that she was going to be pulled away and given to what seemed to be another girly, pretty princess cartoon when there were already hundreds. I thought it would pull the attention away from the new "scary cool" fad, that kids would drop monsters in favor of the same old sparkegarbage, and everything would go back to the same old lack of variety in toys for girls.

But then it turned out that since EAH was about princesses, the creators were bending over backwards to make the show empowering and not about romance, but about girls being strong and smart. I mean they really pushed the strong girls who work for their future and take charge "and don't need no man" message. Hilariously, I came to realize that Monster High had the exact opposite thing going on- since they were "scary" and "creepy", the creators spammed it with love and romance to the point where every single one of the main ghouls (except Clawdeen) had a romantic partner and 90% of the stories were love-romance-dating related, which got super annoying once I realized it. EAH had comparatively little romance. Only Ashlynn had an actual boyfriend, and most of the rest weren't concerned with dating. I wish I'd realized that sooner.

*I mean, can you imagine being forced to be in love with someone against your will? Or being forced to fall in love with someone you hate? Love doesn't mean liking, so it's got to be horrible. Like, imagine being in love with a huge, hairy tarantula? You're in love with it, but it terrifies you, but you want it, but you can't stand the sight of it, but it's all you think about. Horror.

Our first impression was "Ugh, they all have the same round head, how cheap!"  We ignored so much and could only focus on the big heads!  All the little details we missed, all the cute designs, we've got a handful now but we'll probably never catch up. 

It certainly does have a better message than Monster High.  Now that you point it out, they almost went into opposite directions, didn't they?  MH went from being your freaky, fabulous self to devolving into typical teenage plots, mostly around romance.  Lagoona's character just faded into "Gil's parents love me!  They hate me!  They love me!"  EAH just really enforced "follow your own path" from start to finish, with very little cliche princess plots, if any.  I think the one big trope they stuck to was the forbidden rebel boyfriend with Ashlynn.
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 01:42:17 PM »
My biggest D'OH moment was passing on a lonely Gil skull chores (or signature Holt, I don't even remember who it was) on a store because "we don't collect boys, so no need. Even if I liked him "
Fast forward to today it was hard to get a Sig Holt on a good price and I still haven't found a SC Gill. I settled for a DC and a MPack

I started jumping for each wanted doll the minute it's out.
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 02:27:54 AM »
I regret not getting the Boo York Cleo and Deuce set for $10 and WtW Raven set for $8 both clearanced at Target. At the time I didn't like Deuce and didn't collect Cleo dolls and I'm not sure why I didn't pick up Raven since the set was so cheap.

Offline respositob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 12:20:08 PM »
D'OH Moments:
-Not snagging up Gloom and Bloom Cleo and Jinafire when they were all over my Target.
-Not getting the last Sweet Screams Frankie at my Target because she was in a damaged box. The doll itself wasn't affected at all, and she was on clearance. Now she's super expensive on eBay and Amazon! :argh:

"Thank Goodness" Moments:
-I found a small lot of dolls on Mercari for $18 including shipping, and in the lot was the much coveted (at least for me) original Sir Hoots-A-Lot that came with first release Ghoulia. It came as a huge relief to me because I had wanted him for a while and could never find him at a good price. But the best part, which I didn't even realize until I received the dolls, was that I got a right hand for my factory error We R Monster High Lagoona that came with two left hands! I was very happy, since the same hands thing was bugging me.

Offline dfotw

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 09:09:50 AM »
My D'OH moment was not getting old-stock NIB Monster Exchange Draculaura in my favourite second-hand store. They had lots of the ME dolls, so I kept putting this one off, and the day I finally decided to get her, I walked into the aisle only to see a little girl grab the last one! I've been keeping an eye to see if she pops up again, even loose, but nothing so far.

My "Thank Goodness" was in that same store, when I went for my first doll-shopping trip, and checked every box in a massively overstuffed shelf... and the very last doll I found, in the very back of the topmost shelf? IHA Skelita!!!

Offline smileshy22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Keep on smiling! ☺
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 08:10:10 PM »
My d'oh moment has to be not being into MH during 2015. So many great things came out at that time and I missed out on all of it.  :(

My 'thank goodness' moment was, after looking for Marisol online for a few months, I finally found her at Bookman's... for only 9 dollars!  :biggrin: