collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 15
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

October 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

Author Topic: Toys R Us Stores Closing  (Read 3523 times)

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: Toys R Us Stores Closing
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2018, 08:32:36 AM »
Not surprised.  It doesn't off the sorts of deals that Walmart and Target does and it doesn't offer a unique experience like other smaller toy stores do.  For the random family there is little incentive to shop there when you can get a better deal or have more fun someplace else.

Yep. A bunch of overpriced, old stock.

And overpriced new stock, seriously, Target still has those glitter LOL dolls for 10$ and TRU has them for about 12.99$.
Hairdorable for trade, ask me.[/size]

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2018, 10:10:53 AM »
Toys R Us had the best Funko stock of anywhere near us.  I wonder what's going to happen to the new exclusives, and upcoming ones.  Especially Blue Eyes White Dragon.  I hope some other store picks them up and keeps them from being unreleased.
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline Carrehz

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Monster Hunter
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2018, 08:22:04 AM »
Toys R Us had the best Funko stock of anywhere near us.  I wonder what's going to happen to the new exclusives, and upcoming ones.  Especially Blue Eyes White Dragon.  I hope some other store picks them up and keeps them from being unreleased.

I was wondering this, too :x I really hope the exclusives end up somewhere.

Offline Fairy Tale Man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Down Undah Diva
  • Ever After High Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2018, 01:26:40 PM »
K-Mart managed to stay in business (here) and Toys R Us couldn't. Shame. :/

Offline piinkypiie

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Down Undah Diva
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2018, 08:44:00 PM »
Good news for those in Asia! The Asian Tru are not affected. I believe it's just the US, Canada and UK that are closing?
^.^ :drac: :hearts: :rainbow:

Offline Belle Epoque

• Home Ick
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2018, 10:20:24 PM »
I was in TRU last weekend for a pre-birthday splurge. I paid full price for a 2016 release of a doll ($30!) and found the wave released around end of 2017 on clearance for $13 at Target. The pricing of Barbie clothes and accessories also seems to be higher than MSRP as represented on the Mattel site. The two stores in the Little Rock area look like re-purposed KMarts, down to the dingy linoleum and horror movie lighting.

If you want to offer a retail experience in the land of cheap online ordering, and want to charge a premium price for it, it can't look like TRU.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 10:23:51 PM by Belle Epoque »

Offline Fairy Tale Man

• Down Undah Diva
  • Ever After High Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2018, 07:14:34 AM »
I'm just hoping a good store opens up in the place where the TRU is. Preferably Target.

Offline Evilunicorn

• Down Undah Diva
  • *porg noise*
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2018, 05:35:29 PM »
https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-massive-toys-r-us-going-out-of-business-sales-begin-1823953347/amp

Liquidation sales should be starting tomorrow

RIP Geoffrey giraffe

Offline Evilunicorn

• Down Undah Diva
  • *porg noise*
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2018, 05:23:48 PM »
The TRU website is officially down. I knew it would happen, but it’s just sad to actually see it :p

Offline dragonlady

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2018, 06:50:41 PM »
Clone: I'm sorry about your job:( Hope you have an easy time finding another!

I worked at one waaay back 2001-2002 and even then it was struggling. People preferred going to Walmart or Target where they could get groceries, dog food and the current popular toy instead of having to make an additional stop. I will say it was nice being able to buy from them online with Paypal, I think they were one of the first "regular" stores to do that?

Sigh. I never did get to go to the Times Square one...

Where oh where has my Ghoulia gone? Oh where oh where could she be? (Seriously Mattel, where is she??!!)

Offline Morieris

• MIB Collector
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2018, 12:11:21 PM »
The website is still up for me....though I can't ship to store.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2018, 01:37:45 PM »

Same.  I get a message stating that online ordering has been shut down, but I can still browse the site.

Post Merge: March 30, 2018, 01:54:38 PM

I worked at one waaay back 2001-2002 and even then it was struggling. People preferred going to Walmart or Target where they could get groceries, dog food and the current popular toy instead of having to make an additional stop.

It was always a matter of pricing for me personally.  We frequently made special trips to nearby cities that had TRUs just so that we could shop at TRU.  And yet we rarely ended up buying anything more than a few store exclusives because their prices just weren't competitive.  There wasn't any sense in buying from TRU when we could run to Target a block away and get the same toy for several dollars cheaper.  Which was a shame because I really enjoyed the experience of shopping at TRU. :(
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 01:54:38 PM by SaelaVe »

DeviantArt  |  Flickr  |  Instagram

"They say nothing is impossible; but I do nothing every day."

Offline Claire85

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2018, 08:24:12 PM »
Yeah.. for me it was a combination of the high pricing and how the stores cosmetically looked.

A majority of the ones around here, still looked exactly the same as they did 15 years ago when I was super young, as they do now.
Even if they were in nicer and updated areas, it still looked super shady and dingy.

They just never made it look nice to be in, in my opinion.

Of course I'm going to go to Target where it's a cheaper and nicer looking one-shop stop.

It sucks though, because I have some amazing memories of going to TRU with my grandparents for my birthday.

Offline WinterwolfR

• Fearleader
  • I love purple!
    • View Profile
    • LnRworks shop
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2018, 08:53:42 PM »
I'm really hoping that toys you couldn't get anywhere else like sonic the hedgehog toys will pop up in places like target now so then I might be able to find them :annoyed: I almost never found anything I wanted when I'd to toysrus, that's why I stopped going...
At LnRworks I sell doll clothes, dolls, earrings, baby clothes and tote bags. Plus shipping for doll clothes and earrings start at $2.50! https://www.storenvy.com/stores/736707-lnrworks

Offline Evilunicorn

• Down Undah Diva
  • *porg noise*
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2018, 09:28:38 AM »

Yeah that’s kinda what I meant (I should’ve clarified, my bad). It’s texhnically ‘up’ but no new orders are being accepted and at least on mobile if you go to the site you get a pop up saying the whole “we're going out of business, can’t order things online, physical stores still open, etc”

Offline Morieris

• MIB Collector
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2018, 04:02:19 PM »
Our sale has been going so poorly, because the discounts are awful. The biggest thing I've seen is like 10$ off a full price scooter.

Offline ghoulbunny

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Stone Cold Style
  • -Monster High pun of an expression here-
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2018, 01:27:41 AM »
I didn't take it seriously the first time I heard the news, mostly cause I don't pay as much attention lol, but wow, it's really going down. I'm really surprised just because TRU was something I liked a lot as a kid, and knew it was the biggest toy store I could ever know and never thought it'd go down. RIP...
I'm not gonna lie, I'm gonna be pouncing on those sales. I haven't been interested in Monster High dolls for a while now, but if I see any on sale that I don't already have, why not lol
wee woo

Offline SpaceCadet

• Fashion Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2018, 04:24:36 PM »
I made a special trip to the local TRU to check out the closing-down sale and came out with just two Barbie VGH figurines. Between the decimated stock and the unimpressive discounts, there wasn't really much to tempt me.

Maybe I would have found more if I'd gone earlier, but honestly I always found it to be underwhelming, with a selection that managed to be outdated, limited and overpriced all at the same time. It might have been that my local shop was rubbish - I went to a few TRUs in France and those were usually better (but still overpriced).

It's still sad a high street toy shop is closing, though. There aren't many of those in the UK, and certainly none near where I live.

Offline Mickey Rumble

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2018, 06:12:32 PM »
Today I went to Toys Я Us for the first time since they announced that the Canadian stores were staying open. The MH section was small, the DCSHG section was small, and the EAH section was non-existent.  :mad:

What surprised me was the regular prices. A LEGO set that costs $17.85 at WalMart is now $17.99 at Toys Я Us, instead of the $21.99 it used to cost. It looks like the much maligned 15-25% "Toys Я Us tax" is finally gone.

Offline lilyflower332

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2018, 06:41:15 PM »
Personally, I never visited a toys r us often. The two places i have lived in my life just...never had any nearby. The one time i can recall going, i had been given a TRU gift card for like..20, 25$? So we made a special trip and found one. All i can remember buying was a large pokemon tcg set, the kind with the figurines, multiple decks, etc.
When i heard they were shutting down i did spend a paycheck (dont worry, I'm in high school) on a few discounted things, i think i got a crate of monster high minis and an equestria girls mini? But the only reason the discount was really worth it was because i also use honey and found a coupon code as well.
I had been excited to check out a physical store but all the reports were that the remaining merchandise was either undesirable, like cheap minion toys or generic brand, or just...not discounted enough. I'm hoping whatevers left goes to stores like Tuesday Morning