collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 35
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

December 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

No calendar events were found.

Author Topic: Hello from a shy fae  (Read 1114 times)

Offline VoidChilde

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Genderless Faerie
    • View Profile
Hello from a shy fae
« on: January 03, 2018, 07:43:06 AM »
Hi everyone!

I'm Eli/Elias, I'm 26 and I'm from Quebec, Canada. I just received my first MH dolls from Christmas after coveting them for years and now I've started my collection proper. I have Lorna McNessie, Kjersti Trollson and the Freak du Chic Gooliope Jellington, Twyla and Honey Swamp! I love the series and the movies, I sew my own clothes for them (just finished a series of white cotton pyjama sets for the girls to have a slumber party) and I'm thinking about jumping into repainting and rerooting because I really love customization! I bring my dolls a lot of places with me and I have the encyclopedia of MH dolls, I have several favourite characters (Catrine DeMew, Kiyomi Haunterly, Sirena Von Boo, River Styxx, etc) and I'm...very passionate about Monster High actually :redface: Also I never know when to share it but I feel it's important so I'm autistic and not very good at social interaction so I'm very shy, but I'm glad to have found somewhere to talk about one of my special interests!

Offline neon_jellyfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from a shy fae
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 02:09:44 AM »
Welcome to Arena! Congrats on starting a wonderful hobby! We'd love to see pics of your dolly creations!

Offline witchabyte

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Skull Shores Ghoulia
  • HEWWO?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 09:02:02 PM »
Welcome!! Customizing is such a rich and inspiring world to dive into, it's certainly daunting but lots of fun and everyone here is so helpful  :biggrin: Seconding the excitement to see what you might make!!

PS I'm autistic too so you're not alone there!! Doll collecting is my big special interest, it makes me so happy  :blush:

Offline VoidChilde

• Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Genderless Faerie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 09:23:47 PM »
Thank you!

Doll collecting is also one of my special interests, I collect all sorts of dolls beside MH (I have several porcelain dolls, Living Dead Dolls, a reborn doll, lots of random dolls made with all sorts of materials and from various parts of the world, etc). I get attached to these simili people easily and I don't have a lot of impulse control so I buy a lot of them and then I wonder why my room is such a mess of boxes! I'm also very artsy so I have all sorts of art supplies laying around - I even found out I had Faber-Castell watercolour pencils the other day! I don't remember buying them but that's a good step towards repainting dolls!

Offline ghostasaurusrex

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
    • View Profile
    • Ghostasaurusrex's toy blog
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 11:44:47 PM »
Welcome Welcome! I hope you enjoy being here on the arena c: Also i feel you on the little impulse control 8'D

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 08:05:17 PM »
Welcome! ^_^ Collecting is always more fun when you get to share it with a like-minded community. :3 The majority of the folks here collect different kinds of dolls as well, so you’ll find plenty of discussion over in the “Other Dolls” boards!

Oh, and I have Asperger’s myself, so (as Witchabyte said) you’re not at all alone in that. :) Hope you have a great time here at the Arena!

I get attached to these simili people easily and I don't have a lot of impulse control so I buy a lot of them and then I wonder why my room is such a mess of boxes!
^
This is a perfect description of my life, lol.

Offline snowblossum

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 07:09:44 AM »
Hello and welcome to the board.

Currently I live in Saskatchewan but am moving in a couple months to Ontario. I have no impulse control either and end up with lots of extra stuff. We are moving so am busy clearing out clutter and think to myself why why why do you do this?

My main collections are Strawberry Shortcake and Eah. My girl liked MH dolls and I seem to collect those more her. I do lots of crafting too building and fixing things. While I can and do reroot have yet to try face customizing.

Do you shop second hand stores for dolls? Which sollmor character do you think will be your first for a new face up?

Offline VoidChilde

• Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Genderless Faerie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 07:36:34 AM »
@Nemesis
Technically I have Asperger's, or at least it was the initial diagnosis but it seems I have "symptoms" that hint at something else on the spectrum (like severe age regression and a stunted emotional growth) so I usually just say I'm autistic since it's less complicated ^^"

@snowblossum
I love Ontario, it's such a nice province with so many places to see! I'm a big fan of EAH but I never quite fell in love with the dolls, I think it's their shape and the width of their head. Strawberry Shortcake dolls are so cute, I saw the retro ones from the early 80's and I nearly bought them, they were my favourites!
I don't really go shopping anywhere but I do love buying secondhand dolls, I love giving them a new life with me! I think my first faceup will be Kjersti, she's absolutely precious but her pixelated eyes really bother me so I'm going to carefully cover her pretty hair and redo her face when I have the proper supplies and the weather for it (it's really, really cold over here right now and I don't have a workshop so Mr. Super Clear would freeze on her face like little specks of snow x-x it's also pretty much always humid so I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do).

Offline snowblossum

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 07:45:15 AM »
I am originally from Ontario so am moving home.  I know my family keeps telling me how cold it is but we just finished a -30 streak and the windchills were then below-40. I hate the cold.

Oh do show pics of Kjersti with new eyes I do not like her her Pixal eyes or theme. I cut and remodeled boots to get rid of it and redressed her in a super girly dress then I loved her. But did not attempt the eyes just been ignoring that

Recently did you find the retro Strawberry Shortcake dolls for sale? I only found the rag dolls at a western Canadian store.

Offline VoidChilde

• Ouchy Roids Monster
  • Genderless Faerie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 08:10:38 AM »
The winds must be pretty harsh in the Prairies with all the flat ground! It's been -30 over here too but that's with the wind.

I'm planning to make some traditional Scandinavian clothing (I need to research bunad designs and find which region I'd rather go with) for Kjersti as well as heavy outerwear and probably at least one Viking-inspired outfit but her daily clothing is still going to be gamer fashion because I like to stay true to the characters. Right now she's wearing a pyjama like all of my dolls though!

I saw them online actually, I never really go out, especially not in big stores because I'm agoraphobic so I prefer shopping online ~ Amazon often recommends me different dolls since I browse MH a lot and I saw a 3-pack of the retro dolls featuring Strawberry Shortcake, Lime Chiffon and Lemon Meringue. I think my favourite thing about these dolls is that they're scented, I have a big thing for nice smells 💗