collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 41
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

June 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Poll

How legible is your handwriting?

Very, because it's important for my job/school
22 (14.3%)
Fairly, other people can read it without any trouble
55 (35.7%)
Somewhat, it's a little messy now and then
53 (34.4%)
Not very, it takes a real effort to figure it out
16 (10.4%)
Not at all, I can't even read it most of the time
8 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 154

Author Topic: The handwriting on the wall  (Read 954 times)

Offline SourdoughStomper

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
The handwriting on the wall
« on: January 03, 2018, 07:08:14 AM »
I tend to write things in print. I learned cursive in school (is that a thing, anymore?) but I fell out of practice with it. I prefer printing. I can always read my own writing and most the time, so can everyone else. So I'd pick the "fairly" option. :)

How's about you?

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: The handwriting on the wall
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 07:14:20 AM »
I love writing things by hand.  I can type super quickly, but nothing beats writing by hand for me.  I always tend to buy notebooks and pens during school supply sales, not that I need anymore!

My print is kind of big and sloppy, but easy to read.  I much prefer to write in cursive, because to me it's neater and more legible than my print.  With printing, you can tell when I get tired! 

I don't think cursive is taught in schools anymore.  When I was in school, we started in third grade and had some teachers in higher grades expecting everything in cursive, and in pen.  When my sister started at the same school, she was taught just a bit in first grade, then they stopped.  She hates when I write things in cursive because she can't read it. 
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline neon_jellyfish

• MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 07:34:42 AM »
I love writing in cursive. However, others have trouble reading it, because my handwriting is small and rather fancy and curly. I found some super-old letters in my granny's attic back in elementary school, and they were so beautiful, so I decided I'll write in a fancy manner, too. I can read my handwriting without any troubles, but I have to put in some effort if I want it to be legible for others. My print is very slow, so I prefer cursive.

Offline eahseamstress

• Vampire Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 02:17:33 PM »
My handwriting is pretty legible, but it really depends on the reader; if it's younger people who aren't used to reading cursive or any type of more personal/original hand, they do struggle. I'm worried about the fact that as decades pass and there are less and less people who can read cursive, what happens to historical research? Reading old documents will become a rare skill.

Offline 8BrickMario

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 05:01:49 PM »
My handwriting is pretty messy if I'm not making some amount of effort to be legible, and even then, isn't the cleanest. I write by hand mostly when a computer would provide a distraction or when I need to write on or label my drawings, and in those cases, I often adopt a different style.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 06:31:05 AM by 8BrickMario »
My photo thread:           My drawing thread:

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 05:06:38 AM »
It was not very good to begin with, but had an injury 3 years ago that forced me to start using my other hand. I've partially recovered since then but now I have bad handwriting with both hands  ^^;
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline NinaMarie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy page
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 09:58:08 PM »
When I got to college and had to take pages of notes and then study from those notes I realized I had terrible handwriting. Couldn't understand my notes at all. Now it is quite readable and I get asked to write things for customers at work. Still nothing fancy really just nice and easy to read.

Offline Carrehz

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Monster Hunter
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 08:56:28 AM »
Somewhere in between for me, I guess? I think it's legible enough.. my handwriting's a weird mix of print and cursive? My school sort of messed us about.. for ~2 years we were told to write in cursive and then we were told not to, maybe that's why my handwriting's so weird now XD

Offline SweetScreams

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 01:25:24 PM »
I've been told I have beautiful cursive handwriting, and I've been practising a lot since I was a child (my aunt was an old teacher and taught me). The downside is that not many people can read that kind of lettering these days ;-) so I often have to print even though it feels weird.

Offline Ringlets

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Creeperific
  • Be yourself, dare to dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 03:39:33 AM »
I only write cursive ( I can do a bit of calligraphy/really old type writing too)  unless I'm writing labels for parcels .
If I take my time and I'm thinking about it then I write clearly even if it is fancy and curly, and people have no trouble reading it  :)
but... I chose option 3 because if I'm stressed, in a hurry or my mind is not on the job then my writing could pass for an old school Doctors' writing and only I can decipher it  lol  :lol:

BIG WANT BUDGET EAH DEXTER please!! 
<3 Wanted: http://mharena.com/index.php?topic=14405.new#new  <3

Offline PJSparkles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scary Cute
  • Notorious Necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 02:44:22 PM »
I've been told my handwriting is very bad, but i've seen worse than mine (in my opinion). :P I think most of the time it's legible, but it certainly doesn't look nice.

Offline taffeta

• Fearleader
    • View Profile
    • Britrock: The UK Home of the Misfits
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 03:19:36 AM »
I can write very neatly, because I worked in a library (where you had to write notes and references for customers) and then as a learning support assistant, where scribing and note-taking for students with dyslexia was included among my work.

But mostly when it's just me, it;s quite messy.

I have the distinction too of being able to write messily in two writing systems, as my Japanese handwriting is also pretty awful. I am sure it didn't begin that way, although being self taught, some of it apparently did - but when you're in a hurry...also I can't remember how to write half of the kanji I used to be able to because I'm so used to typing them instead...
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間