collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 37
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

December 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

Author Topic: The Doll Unboxing Curve  (Read 3014 times)

Offline writtenhuman

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Down Undah Diva
    • View Profile
    • That Monster Mash
Re: The Doll Unboxing Curve
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2017, 06:10:15 PM »
The unboxing curve is why I ended up with the entire Spring Unsprung set in box. I got Briar Beauty, planned to unbox her, but then never did and then since I had one in box I felt the need to keep the rest in box.

I like that you've made a name for it  :P

It's just like, the longer it's in box the more valuable it feels to keep in box? I try and unbox most dolls bar a couple collector dolls with boxes I like, like Ghostbusters Frankie, Collector Draculaura, SDCC Ghoulia and Cleo. Or if I have duplicates and bought a doll specifically to be kept in box like with my Sig Abby dolls.

But otherwise they just take up so much space...

Offline FangedPisces

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Lagoona
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2017, 07:23:04 AM »
Well said, open to enjoy. And I don’t buy to resell I buy to enjoy, so I please myself. I always tell my hubby I can’t really “see” the dolls in the boxes. They must be freed

My unboxing issues probably stem from my hoarding problem. I'm not at the level of the people on hoarding programs, but I attend a therapy group because throwing things away or getting rid of things causes me great distress. It's part ptsd of coming from an insecure home- always thinking about "what if in the future I need this and don't have it?" I guess it turns into "what if I have to sell this in an emergency and because she's not in the box, I won't have enough to take care of the emergency?"  I didn't realize how my mental illness impacted my doll hobby.
♫~♫~I need an o~ce~an~♫~♫

Desperately Seeking Gothic Girl (Dollar General) slimbox dolls (non-monster version). Willing to pay for your time as well as shipping! Please PM me?

Offline RowanMcInish

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Bad Box Hair
  • I see a bad moon on the rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 05:12:03 PM »
I unbox nearly all of mine for display purposes: from common dolls to SDCC. I typically keep special boxes; though, that's a bit subjective. For instance, when I bought First Chapter Maddie ( not the rerelease with the new head mold, mind you ), I kept that box because not only is Maddie my favorite EAH doll, but because they don't make the story-book style boxes anymore. When I unbox Lizzie, I'll be holding onto that one as well.

Very rarely, I'll buy doubles of dolls I particularly like, just to have one boxed version and one unboxed. Clawdeen as 'Little Dead Riding Wolf' and the Cleo/Ghoulia Origins pack are the only ones I've actually bought doubles of for that purpose. And even though I've bought doubles, I've still kept the boxes for the ones I've opened.

Currently, the only reason I haven't unboxed any more is that I've run out of display room and I don't want to expose any more new dolls to potential dust until I can come up with some more, safe display options.
"On your way to grandmother's house and lo and behold, who should you meet but the big bad wolf~" - Quentin Collins

Offline RodimusKnight

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Creeperific
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2018, 12:56:05 PM »
I use to debox everything, but two things happened...
1) I ran out of room for displaying the dolls, so Suddenly I wasn't in a hurry anymore.

2) My friend and I were going to start a review vlog and we needed dolls to open and review, so I waited.... but then the reboot happened neither of us really cared for like 95% of the dolls and we didn't go through with it even with the older dolls.

A lot of them I've been packing away in nice plastic bins and stored away, until I decide what to do, or move someplace where I can put them on display. The first Generation of the Monster high dolls are still absolutely gorgeous with a few exceptions and deserve a nice display.

Offline Crimson Kitty

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Pet Collector
  • Doll Lover Forever After!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2018, 08:37:44 AM »
The only dolls I would consider not deboxing are SDCC dolls, and maybe original releases of signature core dolls. I would probably keep those boxed too.
(Profile Art Drawn By PuffPink)

Offline rco55

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Two Left Hands
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2018, 05:18:18 PM »
The doll unboxing curve graph killed me haha!

In my case, I keep them in box for three reasons:

- It is so much easier to protect them from dust (my room collects dust at an insane rate), sunlight and other factors that could damage them, and when it comes to cleaning, all i really need to do is dust the box and if some dust gets inside the box, take care of that.

- MH and EAH boxes are gorgeous. Particularly the newer boxes on G1, that had the portrait of the doll on the side. I keep them all on a bookshelf as if they were books, with the portraits looking at me. When I want to look at them, i take them out, look at them for a bit and put them back in the shelf.

- When it comes to posing them, what I like to do is debox the doll, pose it with its stand, and put it back in the box all posed and pretty for whenever i feel like enjoying them.

I'm EXTRA paranoid about my dolls getting dusty or yellowing (and was so sad when I discovered three of my gals had that happen to them for no reason) so for me keeping them in box is the way to go.