* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 31
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

March 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Author Topic: Body Dyeing  (Read 244 times)

Offline trash.gator

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Stiff
  • digging through your trash can for treasures
    • View Profile
    • tumblr doll blog
Body Dyeing
« on: December 08, 2017, 02:36:27 AM »
I've found very little information on it, but has anyone tried Rit Dye to color change a doll? The method seems to have mixed results, but as I'm not quite ready to invest in an airbrush, I think it's a viable option through trial and error. Additionally, no chipping (wooh!).

I have a bait Skelita with a broken neck peg that I wanted to experiment on. I figure she'll be the easiest since most of her body seems to be made of the same sort of soft plastic.

Any other methods you guys have found to work? Spray paint isn't an option for me as I live in an apartment, but I'm willing to try different things.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 08:01:54 AM by SaelaVe »

Offline KustomKara

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
Re: Body Dying
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 07:50:54 AM »
I thought the exact same i. Regards to chipping paint. But i used an Abbey.
A friend told me not to do it as it would ruin my doll, shes got glitter in her after all.

My findings where that while the head, hands and joints took the color. The lower legs and upper arms did not. There are pics in my flickr. (Im on my phone so i cantpost them yet. Look up "Tori Underbridge"

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • MIB Collector
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
Re: Body Dyeing
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 08:22:11 AM »
Dolly dyeing can be a tricky affair, but it can be done.

The first and most important factor in a successful dye job is the dye itself.  Disperse dyes are key for working with hard plastics because they create a chemical bond with the plastic.  These dyes include iDye Poly, Rit Dyemore, and ProChem PROdisperse.
The normal Rit that you can pick up at the grocery store is not necessarily recommended for dyeing dolls.  It contains substantive dyes, which essentially "stick to" the material being dyed rather than bond with it.  This can sometimes result in the dye seeping from, or rubbing off of the doll later on.

It's also important to keep in mind that MH and EAH dolls are not all one plastic, but are made of several different types of plastics.
 This means that—as KustomKara pointed out—certain body parts will dye differently than others. 
You may need to leave some body parts in the dye longer, or paint them to get a proper color match.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 08:24:32 AM by SaelaVe »