collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 39
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

December 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: How Do You Collect?  (Read 592 times)

Offline DEStokes

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • MIB Collector
  • Beast Friend Forever After
    • View Profile
How Do You Collect?
« on: November 03, 2017, 09:59:10 PM »
I'm posting this in the MH section, but it of course applies to EAH as well.

We used to have a 'rules for collecting' thread where we all discussed our collections and how we chose what we added to them.  I know my 'rules' have changed and I suspect a lot of yours have, too, so I thought it might be fun to visit this again.

I recently scaled my collection way back.  For EAH, I only kept my Cedar dolls, and I only plan to collect Cedar in the future, if they make any more.  I do have plans to get customs made based on the webisode looks for Getting Fairest, Legacy Day, and Thronecoming Cedar.  I'd also like a teenage Pinocchio as seen in the EAH book.

MH was cut down to Rochelle, Garrot, the CaM gargoyle, and Fretz the Fright-mare.  Rochelle and Rochelle-adjacent as I refer to them.  I have custom plans for her, too.  I loved the 'Scarily Ever After' and 'Sweet Screams' lines so I am hoping to create Rochelles in those looks. 

I'm happier with my collection now.  I was never a 'gotta catch'em all' collector, but I did feel overwhelmed with the size of my collection previously.  I now enjoy focusing more on the characters and dolls that mean the most to me and bring me the most happiness.

I'm looking forward to hearing how others' collections have changed or stayed the same, and what everyone else is currently focusing on.

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Voltageous
  • MIB signature abbey
    • View Profile
Re: How Do You Collect?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 11:31:58 PM »
I currently focus on the dolls I'm either going to:
Sell
Customize
Like to keep as their character

And so far my collection is:
All howleen dolls released with all accessories and diaries plus two howleens customized
Cupid
Holt
DOTD draculaura

I also have a ghoulia for my peri and pearl head swap and two elastic hipped draculauras to keep since they are pretty rare.

I also have two clawds. One being reboot and one being 1600. I'm going to customize 1600 into my OC since I think he will be a great base since I don't know how to do epoxy.

A clawdeen with red hair. I do love her and I want to get another again some time

One clawdeen. I try staying away from clawdeens since she is my least favorite of the wolves and I don't really like the main characters ( besides DotD draculaura she's gorge x.x ) but I saw she had a wonk with some unfixable hair so I just customized her. So far she is needing a rebody and some hair.

Signature:
Operetta
Abbey
Wisp
Werecat twins
All for display.

I also have a few more: a viperine customized to a peachy color with some fairy glitter. Fierce rockers catty ( yesss ). Rerooted GNO Rochelle with signature viperine's stock. Custom operetta with TERRIBLE legs :( it hurts me to see her this way. Signature catty needing a reroot with the hair I cut off her ( did this because her glue seepage was unfixable! I had to trim it down to get rid of glue and now it's about to her thighs. Wonked Gigi needing a faceup ( her hair is flawless btw. It's like it was given to me right after it was rerooted and I can't believe it was in box because of how good it feels! And it's second hand. Last but not least: spring unsprung kitty. I loved her so much! Even if she's missing her ring purse and neck roses ( plus stand and diary ) I think she's still rare :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 11:39:20 PM by modernmonsterhigh »
ISO Cupid and operetta's rings.

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 10:16:27 AM »
Our (kids and mine) first rules were:
No boys, no doubles, no duplicates, only signatures.

They evolved later to:
Mostly signature, no duplicates, non signatures only if we really liked the doll and at least one Ghoulia from each line.

I am now in:
Try to get missing signatures (Lagoona and Gill, I'm looking at you), try to get old releases I really like but passed due to money or space, and at least one doll per character preferably from Signature line.
Dracula and the the little sibblings are making that last one so difficult because I don't like their dolls at all, and Mattel is testing me with their only US-no Mexico releases.
I haven't sold any doll from the ones I originally got for "Keeps". I do however regret selling the ones I sold from multipacks on which I only wanted another one and was not interested in the others but now are.
Also broke the no duplicates rules with an extra Avea, 2 extra Serpentine sisters (although to be fair one set was customize and the other a gift) and an extra Posea.

Now for the EAHs
We started with:
All of the signatures dolls only

We evolved with:
Ok, signatures and dolls we really liked

And at this moment I'm at:
Ok, signatures only if I really like them. None signatures also only if I really like them.
Haven't sold anything but don't have all the signatures because there were several I just couldn't like enough.

DC SHG
We started and are still with:
Only signatures and maybe ones that we really like. Do try for space sake not to get duplicate characters
I do have duplicate characters but it's Mattel's fault for putting new original characters in 2pack with one I already have a signature version of. Oh, and I might get a Katana on her signature version because even though I already have one from SDCC, her signature is also quite cute  :blush:

I'm not ready to sell anything, and might never will... I only sometimes when running low on budget look at the collection with $ signs in my eyes but fiance has kept me from even trying. He says he rather lend me the $ that let me sell anything, so cheers to him (he's the same when it comes to his toys, so we are quite a pair together).
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 10:19:25 AM »
> Do I like the doll?

> Is it a reasonable price or on sale.

That's about it. No matter the brand.

The only thing with EAH is that I want every Briar, the only one that truly eludes me is WTW because we never got her.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Stiff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 07:09:17 PM »
Due to my lack of space (ponies take up most of my room!), I have to be very picky with Monster High. So I just planning on buying the dolls I love the most! At least until whenever I move out years from now and will have more room to put my belongings!

Offline CrazyCatPony

• EAH Addict
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
  • Falling down the rabbit hole....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 09:21:01 PM »
It used to be just the ones I like the best. But with the way MH is going. Itís anything I like from the new (1-2 here and there) and anything I can afford from the old style. More of a catch em while you still can mentality. Unfortunately I fell super behind in the last couple years.

Offline roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 05:14:26 AM »
DO i have the shelf space
Is said doll  affordable ...
Thats about it.. hehe.. im not a picky collector..

Offline DGRequiem

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
    • RequiemArt.com
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 06:21:11 AM »
I've found that people fall into different categories. 
  • There's people who will get a doll because they like the character and want a figure of that character in the same way they'd want a Harry Potter T-Shirt or whatever
  • People who don't care about the characters and like how the doll looks.  Dolls as ornaments.
  • People see X doll as a great base for their own invented character and will customize mildly/extremely (a lot of BJD people are like this)
  • People who use dolls as a prop for another form of creativity, like photography, sewing, etc and don't care about the dolls as much as see the dolls as a vehicle upon which to do the other things they like.  May have overlap with the above category, but people in the above category will often 're-shell' their dolls when another one comes along that fits the character better, at which point they lose all interest in the previous doll because they're only interested in the character and the physical representation it currently embodies.
  • Completionists, which may pick a doll line for one of the above reasons, but get dolls they wouldn't otherwise because they want to complete the set.

There's probably a few others I'm not thinking of.  I am a dolls for creativity person mostly.

Check out my Etsy Shop for custom dolls and doll clothes patterns!

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 01:55:57 PM »
At first it was just the dolls I liked, but then as I got more into MH, I began wanting all of the characters including the exclusive ones.  With the reboot giving us more children, I don't really want all of the characters any more. 
I also have a rule that I want to try and have 2 of each character whenever possible. 

Now I'm mostly collecting dolls I can use for customs, and fakies.  Gotta have fakies.
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Online SpaceCadet

• Fashion Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 03:42:25 PM »
> Do I like the doll?

Same here.

Offline neon_jellyfish

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 03:15:14 AM »
I had three rules at the beginning - only the dolls I really like, one doll per character, only those dolls I can get in local stores (because costs added by importing them from abroad are crazy high).
Now only the 'dolls I really like' rule remains. Frankie's GR release made me break the 'one doll per character' rule and CE Lala ended the 'local' rule.

I do like the characters in both MH and EAH, but in the end, it doesn't have much influence on my collection. When it comes to dolls, I'm judging them as pieces of art, not as figure of XY character. As DGRequiem said, dolls as ornaments.

I recently started collecting Pullips, and it's the same one rule - only the dolls I really really like. As they're hella expensive, I'm trying to be even more picky.

I have no idea what am I going to do once there's too many of them, but I currently have 163 dolls and I still don't feel overwhelmed, so I'm going to deal with it when it comes. So far I only gave away four dolls I fell out of love with.

Offline monsteleon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scary Cute
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 08:18:14 AM »
> Do I like the doll?

Same here.

Ditto!

Offline Dosneko

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Clawsome
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 08:29:22 AM »
For MH, I had a rule in the beginning that I was only going to collect Ghoulia as she was the character I best identified with. However, I've now turned into a 'gotta get them all' collector.  XD ^^; As I collected the Ghoulias, I ended up falling in love with all everyone's aesthetic.  I just love how cute and monster gets combined.

For EAH, I decided I was only going to collect Maddie as the Hatter has always been my favorite Wonderland character. I've basically held to this rule, I ended up buying a few of the other characters/lines here and there but nothing like with Monster High. I've been into Fairy Tales for a long, long time but the EAH line never resonated with me like MH did.

For other doll lines....I really don't collect anything other than MH or EAH. It just depends on whether or not the doll resonates with me or I really like the character that the doll is representing. However, even then I've got to like how the doll looks. (aka Harley Quinn face-ups that make her not look human)

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 04:28:28 PM »
My rules all went out the window recently and got revamped. I've finished my Toralei, Jinafire, and Rochelle Armies for the time being, so current doll rules are the following:

a) get the remaining Venus dolls I want
b) get the remaining Twyla dolls I want
c) try (and probably fail) to get the remaining Catty dolls I want
d) try (and also probably fail) to get the remaining Catrine dolls I want
e) find the missing pieces for dolls I have, but bought loose and incomplete

After that, I might consider tracking down other dolls I'm missing, but I doubt it. It's gotten to be such a pain. :(

Offline Jabroniville

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 02:00:53 AM »
I'm more of an "ornament" collector who likes looking at the coolest-looking ones. Typically I don't find the characters I like collectible if I'm not enamored with the design, nor do I collect every doll of a character I like.

I mean, my favorite MHers are Twyla & Spectra, but I've only got the ones I liked most (Sig Twyla & FDC Twyla; a sig-looking "Glowing" Spectra). I grabbed FDC Frankie & Sweet Screams Frankie. I loved Gooliope's design, so I had to have that one.

My first bits of collecting were a bit more willy-nilly, but usually based off of looking cool & being on sale- Jane Boolittle came from when Target went out of business here in Canada, and so did the SS Frankie, above. Gooliope was also on sale.

I think the only one I'm really "Completist" on is Cupid, but only because I love her EAH design and characterization- I have no desire to collect the MH version of the character.

I've more or less stopped collecting, however, as I don't care for any of the newest things, plus I was in that "well how much space do I WANT to devote to these?" stage, especially since I still collect Disney merch, and didn't want my apartment just CLOGGED with the stuff.

Offline respositob

• Clawsome
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 12:02:11 PM »
I agree with Jabroniville, and collect the dolls I think are the coolest or prettiest. As far as MH goes, I originally limited myself to only signatures, since I wanted to collect them all. That pretty much went out the window when I wasn't able to keep up with all of the new character releases. With EAH, I managed to collect almost all of the signatures (I'm only missing Daring and the pixies Deerla, Foxanne, and Veronicub), and although I do collect dolls from other lines that I like, my main goal is get my hands on the signatures.

Something else, and this goes for MH and EAH, is if I like a majority of dolls in a certain line, I'll try to get the other dolls in the line in order to finish the collection, even if I only like them a little bit. For example, Skull Shores. I have the five pack, as well as Abbey, and I've decided I might as well get Lagoona, Gil, and Black and White Frankie.

I'm also a bit of a doll-hoarder, :blush: so I really don't get rid of dolls, even if I end up with a duplicate somehow. The only time I will sell or throw out a doll is if they are damaged beyond repair, and even then I strip them of all of their usable parts before doing so.