collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 42
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

December 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: Storing Dolls Long Term  (Read 305 times)

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Voltageous
  • Voltage!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toybox
Storing Dolls Long Term
« on: December 06, 2017, 09:37:08 AM »
How does everyone store their dolls?  I have used wine boxes in the past with separators but that takes up so much room.  I worry about dye bleeds and squashed hair styles.  I really need a more efficient way to store them than wine boxes.  Any ideas?  Right now most of my dolls are displayed but I plan to take them down for awhile to display some of my MLP.

Main Wishlist* Dolly Wishlist*LPS Wishlist*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone in Rocky Balboa. "Live long and prosper."

Offline NsMHdolls

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Create a Monster
    • View Profile
Re: Storing Dolls Long Term
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 04:35:53 PM »
Maybe wrap each one in a white piece of cloth (no dye transfer issues) and put them into a Tupperware storage bin?
I am now taking commisions for Custom dolls, ponies, handmade ponywear and doll clothes, and handmade pet hooded coats!

Offline roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 06:16:40 PM »
well thats why i invested in a WHOLE LOT of new shelving.. so they can all stay out when i am storing them tho I usually find acid free tissue paper (white) and wrap each on in that.. then cover that with a light proof photo ziplock bag( you can order them) then i have containers for them.. but again witht he addition of LOTS of new shelving. this has become a moot point

Offline trash.gator

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Stiff
  • digging through your trash can for treasures
    • View Profile
    • tumblr doll blog
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 04:58:27 AM »
I tend to only store away second hand bait dolls. Currently using a little bucket/bin and a magazine holder. I do make sure I undress them and the dolls with hair I don't want to ruin get stored upright. Not the greatest, but it works for my current lack of display shelving.

I agree with the tissue paper, baggy, and bin, but again, I'd remove clothing and wrap that along with the doll. Magazine holders work well for dolls wrapped into little burritos and it holds a decent number. Nicest part is that it slides right onto a shelf and can be decorated to fit the shelf theme.

Large numbers of dolls, I'd invest in a nice long/shallow bin. Something that you can slide under the bed. That way you aren't burying dolls but it gives plenty of room.

Offline respositob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Clawsome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 08:22:00 AM »
I store the dolls that I don't display in plastic storage drawers. The drawers aren't very tall, only allowing two to three layers of dolls,  that way its easy to find them. Also, the drawers are stackable. I don't wrap my dolls in cloth or tissue paper, but that's a really good idea.

Offline FangedPisces

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 12:07:32 PM »
I just recently had to store a bunch of dolls. I took plastic grocery bags, wrapped each individual doll tightly in a plastic bag (covered the head, then rolled them up and used the bag handles like a twist-tie), and put them into a plastic bin end to end. If you're really worried about what the plastic bags might do to them, you could always wrap the dolls in a white napkin, then in the plastic bag. Or you could use that clear bubble wrap. As long as you brush the doll's hair very well before wrapping them, the hair shouldn't get tangled.

For a curled hairstyle, I wrap each curl around a cheap hair roller or a straw or something cylindrical, then cover it over again in something like plastic or another cut straw. That really holds the curl nicely.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 12:09:45 PM by FangedPisces »
♫~♫~I need an o~ce~an~♫~♫

Desperately Seeking Gothic Girl (Dollar General) slimbox dolls (non-monster version). Willing to pay for your time as well as shipping! Please PM me?

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Voltageous
  • Voltage!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toybox
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 08:48:59 AM »
These are all good tips.  Thank you everyone for taking the time to post.  Yeah, most of my MH collection is on display right now, but I think that I need a break from them right now.  They have lost some magic at the moment with the reboot and reduced line that we now have.  Figure that it is just time to pack them away for a bit and enjoy my ponies more instead.

Main Wishlist* Dolly Wishlist*LPS Wishlist*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone in Rocky Balboa. "Live long and prosper."

Offline beautiful_monster

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
  • I want more life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 01:40:03 PM »
Loving this topic; thanks!

I store mine standing upright in a plastic storage bin with a lid. Each doll is wrapped in wax paper and put into a ziploc bag. I don't undress them - should I?

There's a cardboard separator thing that I stack them in, but sometimes more than one doll is in each space. Imagine the kind of separator things used to keep wine glasses or wine bottles in individual spaces.... I'm not doing a good job of describing it here but hopefully I am making sense. Like the cardboard dividers you see in ornament boxes, sorta.

The box is under my bed.

I'm wigging a little about some bait dolls I stored in my parents' attic. It's not climate controlled up there and I know it's going to snow tomorrow. Those are in a plastic tub.

Also, I got all the Star Wars: Forces of Destiny dolls. Those are all in their original packaging in a plastic tub up there, too.