collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 35
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

April 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28
29 30

No calendar events were found.

Author Topic: Hello from Ted  (Read 445 times)

Offline Ted

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Midnight Magic
    • View Profile
Hello from Ted
« on: December 03, 2017, 03:16:15 PM »
Hello,

I'm a guy AND have never collected typical "girl" dolls before, so I'll have some questions that are probably no-brainers for all or most around here, regardless of gender. If that turns out true, please bear with my ignorance.

As a kid in the 80s I was into MOTU/ He-Man toys (not exactly dolls by most definitions as they were much, much more rugged). I see much of that line's creative freedom repeated in Monster High. That's why I paused while walking past the dolls' corner in the toy store that I'd never have visited otherwise. I thought "this is special. These are neither Barbies nor some predictable Hollywood movie tie-ins. I want to learn more".

I understand that as a major trend, the brand is already much in decline and that the features and/ or quality control of the 2016 reboot are disliked by many previous fans. So in addition to buying the occassional doll and slowly getting to know the whole MH world via sites like wikia.com, I figured it can't hurt to join a place for discussion.

One thing, I've been on many forums/ lists over the last 20 years but never one that had similarly restrictive joining and viewing policy. That's OK, but likewise if the info above is not enough for starting to read & post, so be it. I'm interested in great conversation about MH, but I'll share private RL details only in RL. Just a general rule of mine.

Offline SweetScreams

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Ted
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 01:26:26 PM »
Hello Ted! And welcome to the MHArena! There are a lot of guys here, so you'll feel right at home :-) I know we have many Star Wars collectors and He-Man fans hanging around too (I used to collect Thundercats stuff myself), check out the "Other dolls"- forum. ^___^
Kind Regards
SS

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • MIB Collector
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 03:20:14 PM »
Welcome to the Arena, Ted.

I'm sorry that you found our signup policies to be restrictive.  Many of us here have also been a part of online communities for the better part of the last 20 years, and we've actually seen far more restrictive and inclusive joining policies on other boards, particularly on doll forums.  Some require members to undergo rigid probation periods, while others only open registrations for limited periods of time once or twice a year (Den of Angels is a perfect example of this).
Our policies are in place to keep our community tight-knit and safe, and limit would-be trolls for signing up.

No one here is asking for you to share RL details about your life.  While we do offer a list of suggested topics to new members for those who aren't sure how to make an introductory post, you are by no means required to follow those suggestions.  And we still expect for members to exercise common sense and not give away too many personal or identifying details (for example: tell us what country you're from; not your city and street).
We hope that you understand and enjoy your time here.

Offline Ted

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Midnight Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 06:12:02 PM »
Thanks for the clarification!