collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

* Calendar

January 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

Author Topic: Toylines being rebooted  (Read 632 times)

Offline Jabroniville

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
Toylines being rebooted
« on: November 19, 2017, 09:46:11 PM »
This got brought up in the "Health of the MH line" topic, but was unfortunately off-topic. I made mention that "Boy Lines" get rebooted more than "Girl Lines" do, but SaelaVe corrected me:

This is inaccurate.  MLP's only truly unsuccessful reboot was G3.5, which only lasted for a single year. 
G2 was not very popular in the US and was only produced from 1997 to 1999 here.  But it was quite popular in Europe, where it continued to be produced up until 2003 when G3 was introduced. 
G3 lasted from 2003 to 2009.  And G4 has lasted from 2010 to present.  That's a six-year run for both G2 and G3, and a seven-year run for G4 to date.

Since LPS was introduced in 1992, the line has seen a total of seven incarnations, including the original run under the Kenner division, one hard reboot, and five soft reboots.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has had four reboots to date, including the TMNT film and the Bay-produced live-action movies.  That's the exact same number of reboots as MLP.
I'm not especially familiar with the history of G.I. Joe, but I'm only aware of six reboots to the original 1960s-1970s line: A Real American Hero, Extreme, Sigma 6, Resolute, Renegades, and the live-action films.
I wouldn't consider either TMNT or G.I. Joe to have had "endless repeats".  No more so than the girls' lines that we've discussed.

Now Transformers I'll give you.  It's a damn powerhouse with more reboots and offshoots than I can count.  (It has had 23 animated series alone!)
I feel like Transformers is for Hasbro what Barbie is for Mattel.  They seem to pour all of their attention and energy into keeping Transformers alive at all costs.

Power Rangers is a bit unique.  It's a westernized version of the Japanese Super Sentai series, and it gets a new series in the West every time that a new Super Sentai series comes out in Japan.
None of the other shows/toy lines that we've discussed have been quite like this; and it's near impossible to say if Power Rangers would have been rebooted as many times as it has were it not for the ongoing success of Super Sentai.

It may appear as though the same does not hold true for girls' lines, but it does.  Strawberry Shortcake is a great example of this.  Strawberry had an extremely successful run in the 1980s and then completely died off.  It was revived in 2003 and has been relaunched twice since.

If you're largely unfamiliar with the history of girls' toy lines and are more familiar with boys' lines, then I can see how it may appear as though boys' toys get more reboots, more chances, and have greater longevity than girls' lines; but this really isn't the case.
It would be completely moronic for toy manufacturers to alienate such an enormous demographic of potential customers by focusing all of their efforts on boys' toys and allowing girls' toys to fall by the wayside.  These companies' foremost concern is making bank, so they're going to do whatever it takes to make a successful toy line last for as long as possible, regardless of which gender it's being marketed to.

I found it an interesting point, especially as I was so unaware of the girl stuff being rebooted quite often (I only remember one My Little Pony re-release coming before the modern-day one). I think the reason I was so ignorant of that fact was that the girl lines tend to be... quieter... re-releases. TMNT reboots take place alongside big, well-advertised cartoon shows. G.I. Joe & Transformers get movies (and Transformers really hasn't gone away- I don't even think most count as "reboots"- they just make a new line every couple of years).

Like, I didn't realize Strawberry Shortcake had been rebooted, well, ever. I've seen some Rainbow Brite stuff recently, but nothing on the level of the '80s run. Care Bears seems to be in a constant state of release, but has technically been rebooted several times.

The "Girl Stuff" seems to be so much quieter, as IPs are simply re-fashioned or released intact, often without a TV series or a major marketing push. I find it an interesting contrast to stuff like TMNT, which is nearly always treated like a big deal.

It does give me hope for the flagging Monster High line, anyway. It seems likely that even IF they dropped the line, Mattel would keep the IP and bring it back in a half-decade or so.

Offline Jabroniville

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
Re: Toylines being rebooted
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 02:51:09 AM »
How many assorted toy lines have you all seen rebooted over the years? I'm particularly curious in the "Girl Lines", as I have way less knowledge of that.

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Beast Friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 08:32:03 AM »
I haven't really paid much mind to toy lines until Monster High.  My sister is almost 11 years younger than I am, so I did frequent the toy aisle while looking for things for her.  Off the top of my head, Polly Pocket goes and comes back, though I don't know if it's fully a reboot.  I remember when I was little, she actually, you know, fit in your pocket.  And my mom complained of washing so many!

When my sister was in I'd say first, second grade, they came back much larger, and I haven't seen her for a while.  I think someone here said she was due for a comeback?

Betty Spaghetti is another one I grew up seeing, and saw again when my sister was little, and saw yet another line I think last year or the year before.  She never seems to last very long.
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline Jabroniville

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 02:19:53 AM »
Interesting- I was really only familiar with the first generation of Polly Pocket, but I definitely recall my old Zellers store carrying a later era of the stuff. It's "Male" counterpart, Mighty Max, was a quick failure, and disappeared- it's never been rebooted. Of course, being a "Boys Line", it got a huge TV series (did Polly ever get one?), debuted massive playsets ("Power in the Palm of Your Hand"... if you were a colossus), and even got a series of Video Games!

Some other toylines that were "Rebooted":
* ThunderCats- just once. A quick failure from a couple of years ago. Naturally, it was accompanied by a TV series.

* He-Man- It lasted a couple of years and seems to have done okay, but it died out pretty quickly. No serious attempt at a reboot has been done since, though they released a more "Deluxe" collectors set to appeal to nerdy guys like me with way too much money.

* Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- The original line lasted for YEARS, so doesn't really count as "rebooting" anything- it died out in the mid '90s. The 2000s series saw a reboot, followed by the Nickelodeon one. I think since the first reboot, there's always been a TMNT product on the shelves, so it barely even counts as a reboot anymore.

* Voltron- I've seen this one come out a few times, with the recent one being on Netflix I think. Generally it's never a big deal, though.

* Power Rangers- Never really gets "rebooted", as they simply release a new Super Sentai line every year (it's the cheapest TV show you can make! The hard stuff is already done overseas!). Though it's bounced around in ownership a couple of times- I remember when Power Rangers stuff was located in the DISNEY Store!

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 06:27:37 AM »
How many assorted toy lines have you all seen rebooted over the years? I'm particularly curious in the "Girl Lines", as I have way less knowledge of that.

I have seen brief returns of doll lines like Dawn (6.5 inch dolls originally made by Topper Toys) and Flatsy (originally made by Ideal).  They didn't last long.  Jem dolls got a reboot, Integrity Toys makes them now although I prefer the originals by Hasbro. 

I don't think Polly Pocket ever got a TV series, although I love the reboot dolls.
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Beast Friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 09:04:57 AM »
Has Lalaloopsy been officially rebooted, or did they just change the design?  I know my sister wanted some when they first came out, but our Walmart didn't sell many as they sat here, so we never got the newer waves.
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Absolutely Abbeylicious
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Pet Collector
  • 100% Good Accented Rottish Ghoul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 09:53:10 AM »
Littlest Pet Shop - I think the current one with the Twilight Sparkle-coloured dog is the first reboot? LPS was a thing when I was small

Pound Puppies - I think this has been rebooted?

Biker Mice from Mars - This WAS a reboot but it was more a sequel. It was utterly atrocious; villains were obvious and stupid, animation hideous, turned a beloved one-off character into a sick joke, and the fact it had all original cast/writers just broke my heart even further. I pretend it doesn't exist for my sanity.

Puppy in my Pocket - ... Something tells me this got one. I remember the one from MY childhood, but I have a feeling this had a short-lived reboot
If I have not replied to you, please give me a PM! Super-busy and may miss some messages!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 01:42:45 PM »
Littlest Pet Shop - I think the current one with the Twilight Sparkle-coloured dog is the first reboot? LPS was a thing when I was small

Pound Puppies - I think this has been rebooted?

Biker Mice from Mars - This WAS a reboot but it was more a sequel. It was utterly atrocious; villains were obvious and stupid, animation hideous, turned a beloved one-off character into a sick joke, and the fact it had all original cast/writers just broke my heart even further. I pretend it doesn't exist for my sanity.

Puppy in my Pocket - ... Something tells me this got one. I remember the one from MY childhood, but I have a feeling this had a short-lived reboot

There's been several reboots for LPS. The original LPS was in the 90s and the one with the Twilight Sparkle colored dog is not even the current one nor is it the first one. The first reboot was back in 2006 and the most current one has multiple sizes and a series currently running on YouTube with a new cast.

As for the Rainbow Brite reboot, I think the most current one had potential but then they only released the episodes on their own exclusive subscription streaming service and never released any merch in the new style, sticking with retro styles for all merch.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline Jabroniville

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 01:20:13 PM »
They made new Jem stuff?!?! That was the original girl line I loved! That cartoon was amazing! Dang, I wish these were in stores near me...

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 09:08:47 AM »
I found a page with pics of the Jem dolls made by Integrity Toys:

I don't care for them as much as the originals, but that's me. 
They also made dolls of the Stingers, Eric Raymond, Graphix, etc.
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4