collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 57
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

November 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: Hasbro buying Mattel?  (Read 432 times)

Offline neon_jellyfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
Hasbro buying Mattel?
« on: November 13, 2017, 03:57:53 AM »
Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere, also sorry if I put it in the wrong section.

The rumors are that Hasbro offered to buy Mattel. It's not like it happened for the first time between those two, the talk of takeover or joining forces emerges from time to time, and then nothing happens.

But hypothetically, what do you think would happen to our fav brands if Hasbro did indeed buy out Mattel? Too big and monopolistic companies usually aren't good for customers, as they don't have competition and therefore can afford to dictate quality and price as it suits them. However, Mattel has been having troubles this last year or so, and merge with Hasbro might save some brands that would get axed otherwise.

I think EAH would be definitely killed, maybe they could stuck some characters into Descendants?

Barbie should be fine.

DCSHG could turn into Marvel super hero girls...

No idea what would become of lines like WWE dolls, KuuKuu Harajuku...

I, personally, would be most interested in MH's fate should the buy out happen. Hasbro could give it a shot and even get it right. But they could also simply get rid of MH.

What do you think, what do you want to happen?

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro buying Mattel?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 07:17:46 AM »
Huh, I didn't really think of how things would be effected except MH, and I figured they'd try to rebrand it as what it once was.  I didn't think of EAH, but it would probably never see the light of day again since they have the Disney license. 

If they kept the DC contract, not sure how that inner working would, well, work, they could either mash DC/Marvel Super Hero Girls, or keep the two lines separate, one Marvel line, one DC line.

But all hypthetical speaking, of course.
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 08:12:24 AM »
I seriously doubt this would ever happen.. they  might collaborate for the good of all but there were laws placed to help control monopoly's post and pre great depression.
Disney had come bloody well near close at breaking a lot of those in recent years and has gotten in some rather large muddles. Thankfully our fave rodent has some good lawyers.
Hasbro combining with mattel would certainly fall under the definition of an american monopoly.
Granted very little scares hasbro, these are the guys that gob smacked the FLDS for bad mouthing their toys.
But as it stands, they dont focus much on dolls. There are a few and they are well done, but they do not have the expertise of mattel. Typically if hasbro needs a doll they will ask their friends over at takara to help with that. Several designers from takara helped with the creation of the Forces Of Destiny dolls for star wars.

IF hasbro by some strangeness was able to take over mattel i believe in the sense of buisness that the contracts that they have would be respected.
Meaning that nothing would change and production would go forward.
That however again is pure spectulation.
I doubt that the two would ever merge as they are basically apples and oranges and both have enough of their own money to maintain with out wanting to take the niche of the other.
NOW if hasbro wants to buy something.. Buy toys r us.. they need all the help they can get right now.
but thats just my two cents.. cheers.

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 09:38:51 AM »
I'm just remembering the Equestria Girls dolls and while they're not bad...I don't want Monster High to look like that. Even though they're halfway there.

But as stated, it probably won't come to pass.

Offline Pawsome

• Wonky Eyes
  • Ex-lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 03:33:35 PM »
Does anyone here know how this rumor started? I'm seeing it suddenly pop everywhere, and I'd like to know where it came from before I speculate.  ^^;
Instagram: bobbyhashobby

Offline Knightfire

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
    • Growing Up is for Quitters
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 04:51:50 PM »
There was a list floating around the internet earlier of five companies anticipated to be in dire financial trouble, including K-Mart, JC Penney's, Mattel and a couple of others. Maybe that's where the rumors are coming from?

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 05:16:06 PM »
I've been seeing a lot of articles about it on Yahoo, with a few saying Hasbro has put in an offer, though I don't know how true it is.  I don't know where it started, but it started to show up heavily on the home page this weekend.
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • MIB Collector
  • Full-time doll enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 10:09:38 PM »
Does anyone here know how this rumor started? I'm seeing it suddenly pop everywhere, and I'd like to know where it came from before I speculate.  ^^;

The report was originally published by The Wall Street Journal three days ago.
:leaves: "I like being weird.  Weird's all I've got.  That and my sweet style." :leaves:
DeviantArt | Etsy | Flickr | Instagram

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 05:25:43 AM »
I can't imagine the Big M agreeing to let Hasbro purchase them. But then stranger things have happened...
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 05:39:17 AM »
I think most things would stay the same. Both companies have their share of QC issues so that probably won't change. The existing lines and people will probably stay the same as long as they are successful. Hasbro is better about rebooting multiple times instead of letting brands die out like they do with LPS so MH might "safe" if somewhat unrecognizable.

Unfortunately Hasbro has tons of distribution issues. They let stores order way too much of a wave and then end up skipping the next wave in the US due to lack of orders.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline Pawsome

• Wonky Eyes
  • Ex-lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 06:17:30 AM »

The report was originally published by The Wall Street Journal three days ago.

Ah, I see. Thanks so much!  :biggrin:
Instagram: bobbyhashobby

Offline Wardah

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 07:08:31 AM »
It looks like it's not happening.

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/business/2017/11/16/mattel-snubs-hasbros-latest-acquisition-approach-say-sources/

This really worries me for the future of MH. Hasbro would have probably treated it like LPS while Mattel will probably just treat it like My Scene.
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • MIB Collector
  • Full-time doll enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 10:10:16 AM »

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/business/2017/11/16/mattel-snubs-hasbros-latest-acquisition-approach-say-sources/

This really worries me for the future of MH. Hasbro would have probably treated it like LPS while Mattel will probably just treat it like My Scene.

Honestly, I'm not sure that Hasbro would've kept MH.  I kind of think that they would've scrapped or sold it along with EAH and any other dying brands.

Remember that when Hasbro "took over" LPS, they had actually always owned them.  Hasbro acquired Kenner in 1991 when they purchased its parent company Tonka, under which it operated as a division.  So when LPS was released in 1992, it already belonged to Hasbro.
In 2000, Hasbro closed the Kenner division and merged all of Kenner's brands under the Hasbro umbrella.

In a situation where a company acquires another company that has multiple under-performing brands already on the market, I'm not sure that the purchasing company would invest heavily in trying to save those brands.
In fact, I seem to remember reading that this is exactly what Hasbro did when they bought Tonka.  They sold off any brands that weren't performing well on the market and focused their attentions on the successful brands.
:leaves: "I like being weird.  Weird's all I've got.  That and my sweet style." :leaves:
DeviantArt | Etsy | Flickr | Instagram

Offline Wardah

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 09:26:04 PM »

Honestly, I'm not sure that Hasbro would've kept MH.  I kind of think that they would've scrapped or sold it along with EAH and any other dying brands.

Remember that when Hasbro "took over" LPS, they had actually always owned them.  Hasbro acquired Kenner in 1991 when they purchased its parent company Tonka, under which it operated as a division.  So when LPS was released in 1992, it already belonged to Hasbro.
In 2000, Hasbro closed the Kenner division and merged all of Kenner's brands under the Hasbro umbrella.

In a situation where a company acquires another company that has multiple under-performing brands already on the market, I'm not sure that the purchasing company would invest heavily in trying to save those brands.
In fact, I seem to remember reading that this is exactly what Hasbro did when they bought Tonka.  They sold off any brands that weren't performing well on the market and focused their attentions on the successful brands.

I think the difference is they know MH was a top performing brand and has the potential to be one again. It's not like EAH which never quite caught on outside of collectors.