collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 44
  • Dot Hidden: 2
  • Dot Users: 9
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

November 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25
26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: Why do you collect?  (Read 503 times)

Offline furyXIV

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • in parentheses, let me stress the fact clearly
    • View Profile
    • Drawings, Plush, and Dolls
Why do you collect?
« on: November 04, 2017, 05:16:44 PM »
Hey guys. I'm doing a presentation on doll collecting, and I was wondering if I could get a general consensus on why people here are so into collecting.

Everything I see here will remain completely anonymous and I have no plans of putting any direct text from this topic into my presentation. It is more me doing my own primary research due to there being very few "academic" articles on doll collecting.

Any response is appreciated and thanks in advanced!
Discussion killer Fury strikes again :'D

Offline firemau

• Ouchy Roids Monster
    • View Profile
Re: Why do you collect?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 05:57:33 PM »
I collect for the fun of it. It also gives me a connection to my granddaughters. I have always loved dolls, before my mom past away every Christmas I got a doll. Now I try to do it for my grand daughters. They are getting dolls for Christmas.

Offline furyXIV

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 06:55:09 PM »
I collect for the fun of it. It also gives me a connection to my granddaughters. I have always loved dolls, before my mom past away every Christmas I got a doll. Now I try to do it for my grand daughters. They are getting dolls for Christmas.

That's so sweet! Collecting with family sounds like a really fun time :)

Offline dxgirly

• Pullip Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Cleo & Deuce 2-Pack
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 06:57:06 PM »
It makes me happy. Seeing all of my things displayed on a shelf organized makes me feel happy, proud and satisfied. It was also really satisfying for me to full complete a series/collection.

Hey! I'm Nikki! <3 Check Out My Youtube Toy Channel, My BJD Channel and My Gaming Channel 

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Stiff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 07:04:46 PM »
I like collecting because the things I collect (MLP, Pokemon, Sanrio, and most recently Monster High) make me happy. I also like photographing my toys!

With ponies, I love them for their adorable and beautiful designs, and how they're so much more unique than other horse toys. I love the unrealistic colors and all their unique symbols, how each generation of pony are all so unique from each other. I also love combing their hair, it's relaxing. They're my favorite thing to collect!

With Pokemon I primarily collect plushes, I like Pokemon since I play the games and plushes are generally my favorite type of merchandise for media-focused things I like.

Sanrio I collect because their mascots are super cute and I love that aesthetic. And again, the focus is on the plushes!

I started collecting Monster High (though I only have one doll so far) because they're very unique dolls! So many interesting and colorful character designs!

Offline QuirkyCat

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 09:14:33 PM »
I collect , because I love how creative and fun monster high dolls are. I love to look at the dolls and get inspired. Setting up the dolls in scenes let's my mind drift away. The dolls I have basically let me get away and be able to truly relax .

Offline Melissa

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+51)
  • Gore-geous
  • Rochelle & Maddie fanatic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 09:18:00 PM »
Iíve always collected things, which I think is partially due to my obsessive-compulsive tendencies (I used to have OCD but through therapy it is no longer a disorder that impedes my daily life).

For dolls in particular: I always had dolls as a kid and although I had a large number of dolls I wouldnít say that I collected them at that time. I liked Barbies and people bought me Barbies but they werenít the only toys on my radar and given the choice to pick out my own toys, I only got Barbies probably 1/4 of the time or less.

When I saw MH as an adult, I loved all the details and it reignited my love of dolls plus I had decided that after a brief time of collecting MLP that MLP was too overwhelming to try and collect so I made the switch. I slowly started learning about other doll brands including getting back into Barbies.

Offline neon_jellyfish

• MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 01:29:07 AM »
As everybody else, I collect because the things I collect (dolls and tarot cards atm, I also have ton of plushies, although I'm not active in that field anymore) make me happy. I love to be surrounded by all that beauty. Most of my relatives have collector genes, so it's quite normal in our family to collect something.

I mostly played with LEGO as a kid, because it fitted into my small room better, but I've always loved dolls, and I think that now that I'm older (well, sort of, 'cause mentally, I'm still 11-year-old), I can appreciate and enjoy them more than I did as a kid.

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 04:27:37 AM »
I like having books, comic books and movies because I tend to reread and rewatch books and films that I like.
I go for displays that can have a nice view of what's there to both have easy access to whatever I'm looking for and to have a good sense of balance and perspective.
I started collecting MH dolls as a common hobbie with my daughters. It was the complete experience: watching the webisodes, reading the books, reading the diaries, searching information online and doll hunting. But I like displaying as then it's easier to make sure it's organize and complete instead of lost or damage in a box full of toys (I had shelves with toys growing up, so I never liked stuff shoved into trunks afterwards).
Then it became an extended hobbie with photography as I started and sewing and art crafting props with boyfriend.
I like the uniqueness with MH as no character is the same and they build a complete alternate universe (the same as with EAH and DC SHG). You can't have this with Barbie or Bratz, because the amount pales against the amount of characters and back stories. I'm aware that their universe has tons of plot holes, but I enjoy filling them with my theories.
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline SweetScreams

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 08:20:45 AM »
I love details and artsy stuff. I've always collected things (as a child Pokemon cards, beutiful seashells and stones atc) and I started collecting MH because I saw them like cool portraits of my favorite horror movie characters.

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 08:50:37 AM »
I collect dolls, because it is like therapy for me.  I went thru a lot of heck because of my ADHD, being teased by other kids, bullied, and getting picked on every time I showed my face outside or tried to play outside.  Also, my parents fought a lot and were verbally (and somewhat emotionally) abusive to me, so I found I could retreat into my doll world and be happy.  I've been collecting dolls of 1 kind or another for nearly 49 years now (started at age 4), and they bring me great joy, satisfaction, and pleasure.  Meeting other collectors who are into them as much as I has only helped to increase that joy. 

If you want to know why I collect MH dolls...it's because they are so diverse, detailed and different.  No cookie-cutter head molds or clothes (well not originally, anyway).  Clothes and accessories are catered to each character's personal style and theme.  I love that.
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • MIB Collector
  • Full-time doll enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 10:56:52 AM »
The nostalgia of how toys made me feel as a kid has a lot to do with why I still collect them today.

Nearly all of my childhood memories are connected to toysóespecially dollsóin some way.  From painful memories like the Patty O'Green doll that my father gave to me shortly before he told me that I wouldn't be seeing him anymore, to fond memories like playing with Barbies at the lake while my adoptive father fished.  Memory after memory, moment after momentóthey all seem to have a strong connection to a toy.

My toys were also a tremendous outlet for me.  I expressed my feelings, my creativity, and my personality through them.  That's never really changed.
:leaves: "I like being weird.  Weird's all I've got.  That and my sweet style." :leaves:
DeviantArt | Etsy | Flickr | Instagram

Offline furyXIV

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 11:49:34 AM »
this is all really helpful so far! Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 06:40:37 AM by furyXIV »

Offline roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 09:16:24 PM »
Ahh.. for me there are really a couple of reasons.
The first was my maternal grandmother Mavis.
She loved dolls and had a huge collection of them when i was a kid. A whole room full of dolls.
I remember the first time i got to really see them was when i was about five.. she showed me her blythe dolls for the first time. I loved the gimic with the color change eyes..
ive always loved blythe style dolls ever since then..as time progressed I found i loved pretty much every doll.
Barbies were my go to for a long time. but over the years other dolls from china dolls to shera, to currently monster high and EAH have caught my fancy.
Sadly this was a bone of contention between a lot of my family, specifically my maternal grandfather. but that is a story for another day.
THe other reason i collect is that theres a lot of innocence in dolls..
They represent dreams and feelings that people cant really have in the real world sometimes. We cant be princess' or fantastic creatures like wearwolves and and things.
So they are a way for us to have something that normally we would never be able to see.
Strange tho it is.. i think its a good thing for us to have that out let.

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 09:27:00 PM »
They represent dreams and feelings that people cant really have in the real world sometimes. We cant be princess' or fantastic creatures like wearwolves and and things.
So they are a way for us to have something that normally we would never be able to see.

what a beautiful way to explain it
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline Nemesis

• Beast Friends
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 10:17:53 AM »
Dolls make me happy, to put it simply. Buying them, styling them, posing them, sewing for them, customizing my own characters, setting up shelf displays... Iíve loved doing all of that stuff since I was little, and I still love it every bit as much now.

And yes, I admit it... I even play with them. XD Iím a giant kid at heart, lol.

I also live with anxiety and panic disorders, as well as Aspergerís. To that end, doll and toy collecting has been hugely therapeutic. If Iím having a rough day or feeling upset, I can turn my thoughts to my collection, and it calms me moreso than anything else Iíve found. Having a hobby you can invest yourself in and that helps you to forget your everyday worries is an incredible thingófor me, itís toy collecting. :)

Offline roseprincess1

• Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2017, 07:24:54 PM »

what a beautiful way to explain it
thanks.. but yah thats whats in my heart.
Dolls are dreams.. and dreams should never die. S'why we have them i think.
To have something we can see and touch to keep those dreams alive.

Offline furyXIV

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 08:20:06 PM »
I did my presentation, and crying in-front of my entire class aside, it went pretty well.

Huge thanks to everyone who posted here, it was a big help :D

No shame in that! I'm sure if i had more time I'd play with mine more too ^^;

Offline roseprincess1

• Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 08:09:19 AM »
I did my presentation, and crying in-front of my entire class aside, it went pretty well.

Huge thanks to everyone who posted here, it was a big help :D

No shame in that! I'm sure if i had more time I'd play with mine more too ^^;
welcome love! glad we could all help!