collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

* Calendar

January 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

Author Topic: Making a wig for Monster high doll  (Read 420 times)

Offline aliceinwonder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Recently Deceased
    • View Profile
Making a wig for Monster high doll
« on: October 26, 2017, 06:38:05 AM »
Hello,

I am not sure if their is a better place to post this or not. I am trying to make a custom doll using a draculaura doll. I wanted to make a wig for her as she came with a cut on her head so I don't want to re root her.
I have tried multiple times to make a wig cap and everytime it doesn't work. The edge of the cap will always be visible and if I try to cut the visible parts I usually end up cutting the hair. I was thinking about trying another idea of just glueing brushes yarn to saran wrap. I would want to be able to pull the saran wrap off at the end though so that their is nothing but hair. Would this work or would it just fall apart? Does anyone have any tips on how to get the cap to not show on the edge?
Thank you!

moving to Customs - Melissa, Monster Discussion mod
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 06:58:00 PM by Melissa »

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Fashion Pack
  • hello!
    • View Profile
Re: Making a wig for Monster high doll
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 11:58:49 AM »
I am wondering this too sort of. I want to make catty's hair just yarn. I'm using fishnet and tying the yarn to it. Idk if it's going to show the edge of the wigcap though. If you use mod podge on Saran Wrap it should come right off but it won't ever come off of yarn. That's just my experience.
ISO Cupid and Holtís rings.
Wishlist: http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,14628.0.html

Online Ameyal

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 05:04:21 PM »
No idea myself, but Mozekyto has several doll wig making videos, maybe one of them is close to what you want?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SQOaUoQUEU&list=PLlNQgfXniaheeAi_u4msJXp2WGc3JgVsA

Hextian also has some wig videos, but they're not in a list :p
https://www.youtube.com/user/HeXtian/videos

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 05:19:57 PM »
I used this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8Ods9Ca8B8

To make a couple of wigs. One of them I haven't finished styling, but this one is basically done.

Honey Custom WIP by Lhia, on Flickr

I chose to do wigs for her look because I gave her inset eyes. The top of her head has a little flap that lets me change them, so she can't be re-rooted.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • MIB Collector
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 06:02:28 PM »
I was thinking about trying another idea of just glueing brushes yarn to saran wrap. I would want to be able to pull the saran wrap off at the end though so that their is nothing but hair. Would this work or would it just fall apart?

I do believe that that would just fall apart.  You need some sort of cap underneath in order to hold the hair or wefts together, give the wig shape, and allow you to define parts.

You mentioned accidentally cutting the hair as you're trying to trim the wig cap.  Generally you want to cut the cap to size before applying hair to it.  And you want the outer-most row of hair placed directly on the edge of the cap to prevent the cap from showing.

Another method of hiding the wig cap is to glue a weft of hair on the underside of the wig cap and comb it over the edge (I've included a link to a tutorial below which shows how to do this).

Here are my two favorite tutorials for making wigs:

•  Sols-crew's wig cap and brushed yarn wig tutorial Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3
•  scargeear's anatomical wig cap with defined hair line
:brr: "I like being weird.  Weird's all I've got.  That and my sweet style." :brr:
DeviantArt | Etsy | Flickr | Instagram

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Fashion Pack
  • hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 06:22:53 PM »
I was thinking about trying another idea of just glueing brushes yarn to saran wrap. I would want to be able to pull the saran wrap off at the end though so that their is nothing but hair. Would this work or would it just fall apart?

I do believe that that would just fall apart.  You need some sort of cap underneath in order to hold the hair or wefts together, give the wig shape, and allow you to define parts.

I'm not sure if it would just fall apart if it is yarn wefts. I used some mod podge and glued the yarn to the Saran. It was really sturdy after and held them pretty good. I suggest not spilling the mod podge anywhere else though. good luck getting that out. Alice didn't mention if she was using yarn, Saran, nylon etc. so better to leave this out there.
ISO Cupid and Holtís rings.
Wishlist: http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,14628.0.html

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • MIB Collector
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 09:36:28 AM »
Alice didn't mention if she was using yarn, Saran, nylon etc. so better to leave this out there.

She's using yarn:
I was thinking about trying another idea of just glueing brushes yarn to saran wrap.

I'm not sure if it would just fall apart if it is yarn wefts. I used some mod podge and glued the yarn to the Saran. It was really sturdy after and held them pretty good.

One issue that I can see with using Mod Podge to glue wefts directly to one another is that Mod Podge tears quite easily.  It's pretty sturdy for an adhesive, but it is just an adhesive.  It isn't meant to be used as a replacement for fabric or silicone because it just doesn't have the same tensile strength.

Now, if you don't intend to take off the wig very often and it's likely to stay on one doll for prolonged periods of time, then a Mod Podge wig cap could potentially work out.  But for any wigs that you intend to remove or switch out often, I would recommend creating a traditional wig cap.
:brr: "I like being weird.  Weird's all I've got.  That and my sweet style." :brr:
DeviantArt | Etsy | Flickr | Instagram

Offline aliceinwonder

• Recently Deceased
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 10:44:14 AM »
Hello!

I actually tried it and it worked out! I just wrapped the head with plastic wrap around the head like usual and instead of making a wig cap I glued the hair straight to wrap. I don't know if it matters but I put a layer of glue then yarn then more glue. I used Elmer's glue. This still does make an edge that's hard but as hard as a wig cap and not as noticeable. I made one wig of just yarn and another with nylon hair and yarn. The wrap came over off bother fairly easy I didn't have any issue with the all yarn wig but the nylon stuck a bit so I wouldn't recommend this method for anything except yarn. The one I made with the nylon has a yarn weft plunged through the center and glued flat inside. I had to make a hole in the wig to get it through and it was very durable and didn't have any issues with it falling apart.

I would post pics but I don't know how to so sorry! Thanks for the Help/suggestions guys!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 10:46:16 AM by aliceinwonder »