collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 36
  • Dot Hidden: 2
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

November 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25
26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: Mechanical Pencil Recommendations?  (Read 324 times)

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
Mechanical Pencil Recommendations?
« on: October 07, 2017, 09:43:05 AM »
My sister draws traditionally, and uses a mechanical pencil to do it with.  She uses Pilot, a 0.5, and it's probably on its last legs.  We'd been looking for a replacement in stores, but they vanished.  Wound up in Office Depot the other day, and a woman was asking about them, and even the clerk said he didn't think they were making them anymore, they had not gotten any for a while.

I can get her some replacements online, and I might need to before they go up in price, but she might also need to try something different entirely.  I'm no artist, but I love pencils, pens, notebooks, etc. and I let her use my Papermate, and she didn't like that.  She has plenty of other regular pencils, but she prefers mechanical.  If any artsy people, or just pencil lovers, have any recommendations, we're all ears.
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Absolutely Abbeylicious
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Pet Collector
  • 100% Good Accented Rottish Ghoul
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanical Pencil Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 10:40:22 AM »
www.cultpens.com

Love this shop, they do international I'm sure! If not, I can help! They have a TON of stuff, and they can answer questions/recommend stuff, they were able to identify my pen from a vague description (family member's dog chewed the barrel so I couldn't see the name/brand). Plus, they helped when a preferred pen brand was discontinued and I needed something similar!
If I have not replied to you, please give me a PM! Super-busy and may miss some messages!

Offline Konzern

• Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 11:23:40 AM »
www.cultpens.com

Love this shop, they do international I'm sure! If not, I can help! They have a TON of stuff, and they can answer questions/recommend stuff, they were able to identify my pen from a vague description (family member's dog chewed the barrel so I couldn't see the name/brand). Plus, they helped when a preferred pen brand was discontinued and I needed something similar!

This is incredible, thank you!  :tackleglomp:  I'll let her look through it, though I might be making a big mistake in doing that! 

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Pet Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 03:25:26 PM »
www.cultpens.com

This is incredible, thank you!  :tackleglomp:  I'll let her look through it, though I might be making a big mistake in doing that!

Heheh  :squish: The amount of people I have corrupted sharing this site! I have a life-long particular list of demands for pens due to my handwriting style, and having art friends means always being on the hunt for good pens or a reliable/cheap supplier of them. They also have a left-hand section, if anyone has friends/family struggling for left-hand sensitive pens.
If I have not replied to you, please give me a PM! Super-busy and may miss some messages!

Offline Mickey Rumble

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 04:48:12 PM »
I've been using Staedtler Mars pencils, 0.3mm and 0.5mm sizes, for as long as I can remember. Whichever Pilot model your sister likes, there's probably something similar in there.

Offline Konzern

• Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 08:37:36 AM »

Heheh  :squish: The amount of people I have corrupted sharing this site! I have a life-long particular list of demands for pens due to my handwriting style, and having art friends means always being on the hunt for good pens or a reliable/cheap supplier of them. They also have a left-hand section, if anyone has friends/family struggling for left-hand sensitive pens.

The only one I had been told of is https://www.dickblick.com yeah, that's quite the name, isn't it?  They have great prices on markers and pens, but only one choice of Pilot pencils.  That left handed section is adorable, I've never seen a site offer that!

I've been using Staedtler Mars pencils, 0.3mm and 0.5mm sizes, for as long as I can remember. Whichever Pilot model your sister likes, there's probably something similar in there.

She does like her Staedtler pens, so maybe the pencils aren't so different?  There's a set she's looking at on cultpens, Triplus Ballpoint pen in medium blue, Triplus Fineliner in black, Triplus Micro mechanical pencil 0.5mm and Triplus Textsurfer highlighter in fluorescent yellow.  I want to say I've seen it at Target, but I'm not sure.

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Pet Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 04:50:13 PM »
Might be worth sending them an email for recommendations (unless they're the ones that recommended DickBlick?), since I ahd to do that when my favourite diary/appointment pens were discontinued.

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 10:08:02 PM »
I also swear by Stadetler. Specifically their Mars-Technico pencil line (these require a special sharpener and are in between a mechanical pencil and a traditional pencil; they're great for larger-scale sketching in particular). I also love Alvin DraftMatic pencils. They're my daily go-to that I carry everywhere (I have the 0.5mm and 0.3mm pencils). All three have a nice, heavy body so you don't have to press down, and take different types/hardnesses of leads.

Offline Konzern

• Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 06:59:54 AM »
Might be worth sending them an email for recommendations (unless they're the ones that recommended DickBlick?), since I ahd to do that when my favourite diary/appointment pens were discontinued.

I had someone else recommend that some time ago.  I might need to do it.  A few have caught her eye but she can't make up her mind yet. 

I also swear by Stadetler. Specifically their Mars-Technico pencil line (these require a special sharpener and are in between a mechanical pencil and a traditional pencil; they're great for larger-scale sketching in particular). I also love Alvin DraftMatic pencils. They're my daily go-to that I carry everywhere (I have the 0.5mm and 0.3mm pencils). All three have a nice, heavy body so you don't have to press down, and take different types/hardnesses of leads.
I'll have to show her those.  I know she mentioned once she had gotten used to holding her Pilot, I don't know if she meant size, shape, or both, but it is heavier than some mechanical pencils I've had.