collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 47
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

October 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

Author Topic: Your Doll "Deal-Breakers"  (Read 5409 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creative Kitty
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
Re: Your Doll \"Deal-Breakers\"
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2017, 02:17:48 PM »
...On that note, I’m still trying to figure out why Kylo Ren gets the molded treatment in his FoD release, while Sabine’s hair is rooted (despite being shorter than Kylo’s). >_<;

It's probably canon that Kylo overdoes it with the hair styling products.

Molded hair on male dolls—ESPECIALLY if said hair is more than long enough to justify rooting it. I’ve made exceptions to this rule before, but plastic hair is the main reason why there aren’t more guys in my collection. :/ It just looks so... not like hair.

...On that note, I’m still trying to figure out why Kylo Ren gets the molded treatment in his FoD release, while Sabine’s hair is rooted (despite being shorter than Kylo’s). >_<;
ya have seen adams hair right?
but yah im kinda pissed about that too. but im sti ll getting him. IF they ever bloody well come out.
thats whats making me mad.. the slow as snot release times!

ROFL! Nah, his hair is probably just soaked with perspiration from wearing that helmet constantly—but that’s the bitter cost of being a dedicated Darth Vader wannabe. ;) I AM still planning on buying that Rey/Kylo two-pack... but I think the hair should have been rooted and then given the “Toralei treatment”, to achieve a true-to-screen look. XD

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
    • View Profile
Re: Your Doll "Deal-Breakers"
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2017, 10:13:55 PM »
I'm not a fan of molded-on clothing or a lack of much articulation. I was looking at the newer MH dolls at Walmart a couple days ago debating on getting one since they were pretty cheap, but I know it wouldn't be as fun to take photos of them or anything since I wouldn't be able to move their elbows or knees. As for their molded-on tops, I think they don't look appealing at all.

Adding onto what I said here, I probably wouldn't refer to these things (molded on clothes and not as much articulation) as complete deal-breakers, but moreso things that will make me less likely to buy something. But if I like other aspects of a doll enough, I'll get it despite the things I'm not a fan of. For example I bought Party Hair Draculaura today because while she doesn't have elbow articulation, I liked the outfit, the lighter pink in her hair, and the styling hair concept enough to get her despite that. I also plan on getting Dana even though one of her outfit options features a molded on top, but I adore her colors (particularly the gold/black outfit that funnily enough is the one that has the molded top) too much to pass her up.

Online DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2017, 04:06:04 AM »
I'm not a fan of molded-on clothing or a lack of much articulation. I was looking at the newer MH dolls at Walmart a couple days ago debating on getting one since they were pretty cheap, but I know it wouldn't be as fun to take photos of them or anything since I wouldn't be able to move their elbows or knees. As for their molded-on tops, I think they don't look appealing at all.

Adding onto what I said here, I probably wouldn't refer to these things (molded on clothes and not as much articulation) as complete deal-breakers, but moreso things that will make me less likely to buy something. But if I like other aspects of a doll enough, I'll get it despite the things I'm not a fan of. For example I bought Party Hair Draculaura today because while she doesn't have elbow articulation, I liked the outfit, the lighter pink in her hair, and the styling hair concept enough to get her despite that. I also plan on getting Dana even though one of her outfit options features a molded on top, but I adore her colors (particularly the gold/black outfit that funnily enough is the one that has the molded top) too much to pass her up.

Agree! Molded hair & clothes are less enjoyable for me. Ditto less articulation...I can't WAIT for a MtM Curvy Barbie!

But, even if those features are present, sometimes there are other factors that pull me into a purchase. SW Dayna I initially avoided because of the molded bodice, but once I got SW Rochelle and realized how AWESOME that whole line is I set out to get them all, which meant Dayna, too. Now, she's one of my favorites!

I have to say though, molded-on weapons, now that's a WHYYYYY?! I got a Batgirl shooter, ONLY because she was INCREDIBLY cheap and had some good props and I have plans to use her head and her body for two different purposes. But her weapon/shooter is molded INTO her arm. Blech. Thinking of cutting it off and getting a similar size hand from somewhere and doing some surgery.
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2017, 02:09:38 PM »
Molded on clothing, lack of articulation, already have a similar doll, way too much pink... are often deal breakers for me.  But not as a rule.  Sometimes it depends on what else is going on with the doll. 

I have so many dolls right now,  any little reason to keep me from buying a new one usually comes into play. 

Offline RowanMcInish

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Bad Box Hair
  • I see a bad moon on the rise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2018, 05:03:55 PM »
Molded clothes and lack of articulation are definitely no-go's for me. At least at full retail price. A lot of it comes down to why I might want the doll in the first place: stock and heads can typically be snatched up here or somewhere like Ebay without a lot of hassle.

One thing that really puts me off are clothes that smack you in the face with product placement. The worst offenders I've seen came from the SW line. I didn't look at Rochelle's dress closely until after I'd bought her and gotten her out of the box, but literally printing "Monster High" all over that skirt was just too much. Until then, I'd considered some of the other dolls, but when I realized they'd done the same thing, I couldn't bear to spend the money on them.

Dolls that seem to break character are another huge deal-breaker: sporty characters like Lagoona - and to a lesser extent, Abbey - done to the nines in frills, etc. Honestly, I can't stand that. Abbey's Ghouls Rule doll is an especially good example.
"On your way to grandmother's house and lo and behold, who should you meet but the big bad wolf~" - Quentin Collins

Offline Heart891011

• Skull Shores Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2018, 01:38:26 PM »
Wonk eye, non articulation, painted on clothes, and short hair (because of the gel they put in it) are turn offs for me

Offline Crimson Kitty

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Pet Collector
  • Doll Lover Forever After!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2018, 08:21:01 AM »
Lack of articulation (it bugs me!)

A doll whose entire outfit consists of a very plain and simple minidress. For this reason, I used to avoid a lot of budget MH dolls. I used to buy them though if a budget doll had a slightly more dressed-up/unique minidress, had an especially good face-up or hairstyle, or had a really awesome pair of shoes.

Molded clothes. Just no. There are very very few instances when I will allow this.
(Profile Art Drawn By PuffPink)

Offline rco55

• Two Left Hands
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2018, 09:52:14 AM »
Honestly, past the clothes, articulation or even face up, my biggest deal breaker is the yellowing/random colored spots that can appear on dolls because that actually does ruin the doll physically.

I was cleaning my collection the other day (i keep them all in boxes, btw) when I realized my Ghouls Night Out Rochelle had a big yellow stain all over her pretty face :( and it was even worse when i saw that my Amanita Nightshade and Kiyomi Haunterly had yellow spots on their noses as well.

I was able to remove the yellow stain on Rochelle's face with the benzoyl peroxide method without problems, but Kiyomi and Amanita still have a faint bit of yellowing. Of course, we already know about white dolls staining out of the blue as well.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to buy a doll that you know is likely to deteriorate, no matter how beautiful or detailed :( total deal breaker for me.