collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 38
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

December 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: Your Doll "Deal-Breakers"  (Read 2072 times)

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Collector
    • View Profile
Re: Your Doll "Deal-Breakers"
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 04:59:08 AM »
No elbow articulation on a doll MH sized or larger. I used to collect just small dolls like SSC so I'm okay with the idea of smaller dolls being less articulated but for some reason once they get about MH teen sized I can't deal with stiff arms. It's why I was okay with Novi Stars and don't have any urge to rebody them but any unarticulated MH dolls (except the tweens and younger of course) that I like need to be rebodied right away.

Monster High and Ever After High has spoiled us rotten

And now that we know that a good articulated doll with painted accessories and detailed clothes can be done, we are having a hard time settling with less
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:40:44 PM by nassib »
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 05:49:04 AM »
No elbow articulation on a doll MH sized or larger. I used to collect just small dolls like SSC so I'm okay with the idea of smaller dolls being less articulated but for some reason once they get about MH teen sized I can't deal with stiff arms. It's why I was okay with Novi Stars and don't have any urge to rebody them but any unarticulated MH dolls (except the tweens and younger of course) that I like need to be rebodied right away.

And now that we know that a good articulated doll with painted accessories an detailed clothes can be done, we are having a hard time settling with less

True enough. Before collecting MH, the only dolls I'd even considered were BJDs. Pullips were a maybe, mostly for the clothes, but the price tag and the big heads kind of turned me away. Then MH sucked me in and I was doomed to doll-loving forever.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 12:36:12 PM »

And now that we know that a good articulated doll with painted accessories an detailed clothes can be done, we are having a hard time settling with less

True enough. Before collecting MH, the only dolls I'd even considered were BJDs. Pullips were a maybe, mostly for the clothes, but the price tag and the big heads kind of turned me away. Then MH sucked me in and I was doomed to doll-loving forever.

I was actually the same except that the big heads of Pullips weren't an issue for me it was only the price. I actually at one point was able to get a tiny articulated doll called a Konji for around $20 and I was actually really disappointed how fiddly and fragile she was. After that I was at peace with tiny playline dolls being less articulated.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 08:43:58 PM »

I was actually the same except that the big heads of Pullips weren't an issue for me it was only the price. I actually at one point was able to get a tiny articulated doll called a Konji for around $20 and I was actually really disappointed how fiddly and fragile she was. After that I was at peace with tiny playline dolls being less articulated.

I still sometimes have issues with Pullip Proportions, but find that big dresses offset the heads nicely. The dolls I end up drawn to all have fluffy outfits.
 hahaha

Offline taffeta

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fearleader
    • View Profile
    • Britrock: The UK Home of the Misfits
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 09:36:39 AM »
I like to buy second hand dolls so I don't care that much if they have the accessories or what those are (I am not a fan of lots of little accessories but I just shove them in my accessory tub if I buy them new with them).
The only line I have more or less collected all of is the Haunted one because it's addictive. It was accidental but now I'm only missing Twyla and Clawdeen but the reason I haven't got either of them yet is because I refuse to pay retail prices for them (being that my TRU has an idea of Ł20 as a reasonable retail price for old dolls).

I don't care about wonk, either. I've replaced hands. The real dealbreaker for me is hair.
Gook hair. Cut hair. Short hair. All of those are a no from me. I only have Fierce Rocker Toralei because she and Catty make me think of Jem and Pizzazz, but she's an exception. I love Lagoona but old Gooni dolls are so prone to gook I am basically not able to keep most of them :'( breaks my heart. I can't use chemicals because I'm super sensitive to things but the more natural methods have not helped in my case and I am not practical enough to safely get off heads and do the fixing on the inside, so they basically are a lost cause for me.

I ironically love GB Venus. But I don't like Venus much as a rule, because you know, shorn hair...this one makes me happier becase she is less shorn. I don't care much what she's wearing because I don't think any doll need have a 'set' style. We all go through phases of wearing different stuff, right? She doesn't want to be pigeonholed ;)

I also don't yet own a single Clawdeen. I don't know why but I haven't yet found a Clawdeen that makes me inspired to buy her. I think doing gross things to her like mixing her with Venus to create goose poop or sticking neon green in her hair hasn't helped. And also here I haven't seen much range of Clawdeen doll options, either second hand or new. One day I will find a Clawdeen that really reaches out to me...but as yet, Clawdeen has kind of become...a deal breaker :/
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline 8BrickMario

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2017, 04:04:42 PM »
Ah, there's my other deal-breaker! I am not at all a fan of big-head proportions, either...if they're not clearly stylistic. Pullip/Shibajuku and the like are so extreme that I can accept it, but when heads are more subtly large, almost normal but not quite, it really bugs me. I get the whole psychology- big heads are cute because babies of several species tend to have them, but it's just sorta creepy when large heads are used for older characters or characters who have no business with a cutesy look. I can tolerate it for MH because, hey, not human, and most of them aren't too extreme. However, some dolls, like Robecca and Gooliope, cross that line for me and I have a hard time with them. I'm also disappointed in the DCSHG dolls for this reason, since there is no reason at all that superhero toys should have disproportionately large heads. The 18-inch versions are much better in that regard.
My photo thread:           My drawing thread:

Offline DGRequiem

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
    • RequiemArt.com
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2017, 06:10:27 PM »
Articulation.  I had zero interest in dolls my whole life until Pullip came along.  I'll still get a doll without articulation... if I can put it on a doll with articulation.  I love the new fashionista body shapes, but every time I pick them up I'm like "I hate you.  When will Mattel make you with joints?!"

The other one is size/weight.  I have a couple of 1/3 scale dolls around, both resin and lighter vinyl and if I didn't have to have them for work, I wouldn't have them.  1/4 is OK, but the upper range of what I'll tolerate. 
Check out my Etsy Shop for custom dolls and doll clothes patterns!

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2017, 01:27:29 AM »
Rochelle with blunt bangs. She's one of my favorite dolls but I just dislike her original style bangs. I love her with poofy bangs (Scaris) and with no bangs. The only thing keeping me from buying her sig is the bangs. I will probably buy her stock one day and put it on a Scaris or GNO body.

And usually no articulation is a deal breaker but I've made some exceptions like Music Class Cleo and Party Hair Drac.

Offline DEStokes

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • MIB Collector
  • Beast Friend Forever After
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2017, 10:16:37 PM »
Add me to the unfinished hem club.  That has always driven me crazy.  They released 2 Sugar Coated Maddies, one with a hemmed dress, one without.  I got the one without a hem first and had to search down the hemmed one when I found out she existed.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Beast Friends
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2017, 12:44:19 AM »
Molded hair on male dolls—ESPECIALLY if said hair is more than long enough to justify rooting it. I’ve made exceptions to this rule before, but plastic hair is the main reason why there aren’t more guys in my collection. :/ It just looks so... not like hair.

...On that note, I’m still trying to figure out why Kylo Ren gets the molded treatment in his FoD release, while Sabine’s hair is rooted (despite being shorter than Kylo’s). >_<;

Offline Eve

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Skull Shores Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2017, 02:36:35 AM »
1. Unarticulated dolls
2. Molded on clothing
3. Molded on hair

Offline Mickey Rumble

• Ouchy Roids Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2017, 07:35:05 AM »
...On that note, I’m still trying to figure out why Kylo Ren gets the molded treatment in his FoD release, while Sabine’s hair is rooted (despite being shorter than Kylo’s). >_<;

It's probably canon that Kylo overdoes it with the hair styling products.

Deal breakers for me include FULL PRICE , I'll wait for a sale. Except for 2 or 3 dolls, everything I've bought has either been discounted or at a liquidation type store.

I rarely unbox my dolls, so they have to look good in the box. I delayed buying Frankie's Skulltimate Science Class (so many parts to accidentally lose) for about 8 months because I was waiting for one whose goggles weren't at a wildly uncomfortable angle. Also I was waiting for a sale (FULL PRICE ).

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2017, 10:00:23 AM »
Molded hair on male dolls—ESPECIALLY if said hair is more than long enough to justify rooting it. I’ve made exceptions to this rule before, but plastic hair is the main reason why there aren’t more guys in my collection. :/ It just looks so... not like hair.

I was so excited for the Forces of Destiny dolls, until I saw them in person and it sink in (it hadn't from pictures) that there were mostly molded clothes  :sad:
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Online Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2017, 12:40:13 PM »
Molded hair on male dolls—ESPECIALLY if said hair is more than long enough to justify rooting it.

Heck yeah! Like Dracula.  I want him, but I can't pay $40 for him.  I'm sure the scalpers are selling him loose for that much too.   :mad:  :mad: 
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• Voltageous
  • MIB signature abbey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2017, 03:12:09 PM »
Molded hair on male dolls—ESPECIALLY if said hair is more than long enough to justify rooting it.

Heck yeah! Like Dracula.  I want him, but I can't pay $40 for him.  I'm sure the scalpers are selling him loose for that much too.   :mad:  :mad:

I think the only doll that I'm fine with having sculpted hair is holt. I'm not sure how you would get all the different tones and make it look like the webisodes with rooted hair. It is pretty hair to root boy hair going straight up.
ISO Cupid and operetta's rings.

Offline Wardah

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2017, 04:41:01 PM »
I just realized my biggest deal breaker, which is being more expensive that I feel it's worth. After all I'm not afraid to rebody unarticulated dolls but if I'm just after the head (and maybe the clothes) then I'd rather not pay full price.
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Stiff
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2017, 07:06:36 PM »
I'm not a fan of molded-on clothing or a lack of much articulation. I was looking at the newer MH dolls at Walmart a couple days ago debating on getting one since they were pretty cheap, but I know it wouldn't be as fun to take photos of them or anything since I wouldn't be able to move their elbows or knees. As for their molded-on tops, I think they don't look appealing at all.

Offline Wardah

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2017, 09:43:12 PM »
I'm not a fan of molded-on clothing or a lack of much articulation. I was looking at the newer MH dolls at Walmart a couple days ago debating on getting one since they were pretty cheap, but I know it wouldn't be as fun to take photos of them or anything since I wouldn't be able to move their elbows or knees. As for their molded-on tops, I think they don't look appealing at all.

Honestly not a big fan of the Fearleading dolls either. I can live with molded on clothing but I wouldn't even want them if their tops were fabric and they had articulated arms. Like even the molded swimsuit dolls are more interesting looking.

Offline roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Your Doll \"Deal-Breakers\"
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2017, 05:11:10 AM »

ya have seen adams hair right?
but yah im kinda pissed about that too. but im sti ll getting him. IF they ever bloody well come out.
thats whats making me mad.. the slow as snot release times!

Post Merge: November 05, 2017, 05:12:32 AM

Honestly not a big fan of the Fearleading dolls either. I can live with molded on clothing but I wouldn't even want them if their tops were fabric and they had articulated arms. Like even the molded swimsuit dolls are more interesting looking.
i got lala when they first came out just to see what they were..
i didnt care much for them.

Offline Wardah

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Your Doll \"Deal-Breakers\"
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2017, 10:49:18 AM »

Post Merge: November 05, 2017, 05:12:32 AM

i got lala when they first came out just to see what they were..
i didnt care much for them.

I think it's just I'm not really into sporty dolls in general. I also didn't like either of the Fearleading packs.