collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 36
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 8
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

December 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: Your Doll "Deal-Breakers"  (Read 2074 times)

Offline FangedPisces

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
Your Doll "Deal-Breakers"
« on: October 05, 2017, 06:53:59 PM »
I really like the Gloom and Bloom line, and the only thing that's stopping me from collecting all of them is Jane. I would buy her, but that skirt of hers just does not work for me. I'd buy her if not for that skirt. It's just a deal-breaker.

Do you have a doll that you'd buy "if it wasn't for X"? How about a line/character set you'd complete if not for one doll that isn't to your taste? I love hearing from you, you're all so interesting. Tell me everything; don't be afraid to get rant-y, or even just outright complain. The collection habits of other doll collectors are relevant to my interests  ^.^
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 05:03:29 PM by FangedPisces »
♫~♫~I need an o~ce~an~♫~♫

Desperately Seeking Gothic Girl (Dollar General) slimbox dolls (non-monster version). Willing to pay for your time as well as shipping! Please PM me?

Online modernmonsterhigh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Voltageous
  • MIB signature abbey
    • View Profile
Re: Your Doll "Deal-Breakers"
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 07:05:54 PM »
id say the reboot and their articulation but I'm pretty sure everyone is going to say that. If a doll doesn't have very good clothing or hair I probably won't buy. I don't like the fact dance class howleen has a one piece outfit and her hair is a mess sort of. I'd be okay if her outfit looked like half pants and half shirt but it looks like a bathing suit w/ pants. I wish they did some joggers and a tee shirt. I think it represents hip hop betterbin my opinion.
ISO Cupid and operetta's rings.

Online Melissa

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Gore-geous
  • Rochelle & Maddie fanatic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 07:25:45 PM »
I hate dolls with tons of plastic accessories. I passed on dolls in several lines, such as Sweet Screams and Ghouls Getaway, not because I didnít like the dolls, but because the abundance of plastic was a huge turn off.

Offline Listie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Down Undah Diva
  • Frankie Stein Fanatic!
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 09:28:50 PM »
I really like the Gloom and Bloom line, and the only thing that's stopping me from collecting all of them is Jane. I would buy her, but that skirt of hers just does not work for me. I'd buy her if not for that skirt. It's just a deal-breaker.

Interestingly, I bought all of them except for Venus, because that outfit is completely out of character for her. She's supposed to be punk, not a frou-frou girly girl. I don't have enough money or room to collect entire lines, anyway.

Although, I did pass on the second wave of Sweet Screams, as I liked the monochrome of the Frankie & Lala, but Ghoulia & Abbey had too much going on.

Offline Snow_Leopard

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 07:24:51 AM »
I guess I wouldn't call myself a doll collector(despite having 100+ MH dolls, ha ha), but someone that's heavily into alternative fashion, who likes having little plastic things around that mirror my love of loud, bold wardrobe choices. I can't tell you how many times I've been told that I look like a Monster High doll prior to actually owning one. My interest started with "Sweet Screams", because Frankie could have literally pulled these things from my closet. The mood board for collector's Draculaura featured things I actually own. To me the antithesis of that equals Emoji dresses and other boring "real people streetwear" which earns an automatic no go as far as new purchases go.

Also children, babies, etc. I've had an aversion to baby/child dolls since being about 3 years old myself, so that one is rooted pretty deeply  :wonder:

Timeless beauty cast in plastic.

Offline Kara Zor-El

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 07:43:37 AM »
I won't buy unarticulated dolls.  The ONE exception was Dracula, and that's because I'm working on upgrading him to a fully articulated body.  I wouldn't have bought him if it didn't look like this was going to be the only way to get a signature version of him.
I make the dolls Mattel won't.

Offline Knightfire

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
    • Growing Up is for Quitters
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 07:00:14 PM »
Unhemmed/unfinished clothing or molded-on clothing. It just broadcasts "this product is cheap and will come apart" to me.

Offline furyXIV

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • in parentheses, let me stress the fact clearly
    • View Profile
    • Drawings, Plush, and Dolls
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 07:41:48 PM »
Unhemmed/unfinished clothing or molded-on clothing. It just broadcasts "this product is cheap and will come apart" to me.

Same. I also get really annoyed when the clothes have a printed pattern on them, but it is only on the front. It looks so cheap and horrible  :annoyed:
Discussion killer Fury strikes again :'D

Offline Ameyal

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 09:28:19 PM »
The price :p
I used to think MH was expensive, but yowza, the other brands are reaaaally pretentious, specially the ones without articulation!

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 12:38:14 PM »

Same. I also get really annoyed when the clothes have a printed pattern on them, but it is only on the front. It looks so cheap and horrible  :annoyed:
I feel the same way.  I don't mind it on some clothing items that are meant to look frayed.  But when it's clear the manufacturer is just being cheap, I really dislike it. 

Already owning a version of a character that I like better than the ones in the store is also a deal-breaker for me.   

Offline rayedelsol

• EAH Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • MIB Collector
    • View Profile
    • rayedelsol.com
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 05:47:30 PM »
I think mine is articulation as well. When I can't avoid it (Draculaura from the Dad playset) I rebody when I can.

Offline 8BrickMario

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 06:08:24 PM »
A face I can't connect to has become one, because I realized getting a doll for everything else ultimately wasn't worth it when I didn't like the face.
My photo thread:           My drawing thread:

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 07:26:10 PM »
Unarticulated dolls. I loved the music class Cleo and was so into buying her (haven't been that enthusiastic about a post reboot Cleo. And then I saw she lacked articulations. Immediately decided I could live without her.

As someone else mentioned, fabric with print only at the front.

Pallet colors. I'm not a fan of bright colors, neon or pink. I have bought some for their uniqueness but I tend to stay away.
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 07:52:07 AM »
With a doll line like Monster High, in which I get into the media as well, I have to like the character.  I don't care how beautiful a doll looks, if I don't like the character, I'm not going to get it.  The only exception would be in multipacks, and even then if I deboxed, that character would go quickly.
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 08:13:05 AM »
Also Unarticulation unless I can get it very cheaply.

I got the Surf to Turf lagoona just for the skateboard thing for 10$ and still haven't sold the Lagoona after almost a year.

& Disproportionate pricing. So much stuff Mattel tried to shill on us with Ever After High was not worth their default prices. And that is why you fail.

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Absolutely Abbeylicious
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Pet Collector
  • 100% Good Accented Rottish Ghoul
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 11:26:32 AM »
Disconnect or inaccurate to media dolls, but that's a bigger bugbear if I've seen the media before the doll. An example is Lagoona; on media, I like her hair and skin tone, but her doll looks like a murkey grey-green with dull hair and her face doesn't quite match the 2D proportions, if that makes sense.

Clashing or obnoxious colours (either from clothing or doll's hair and clothing arguing to each other). This is HIGHLY subjective, some colours just don't agree with me, depending on presentation.

Wings that are not good wings, i.e. Batsy's spirograph wings REALLY bug me.

Blank, dead faces or 'odd' faces (I don't like a lot of Disney dolls for this reason).

Articulation, now that I've been corrupted by Monster High!

Cheaply made clothing/no accessories.

Too many unpainted, chunky plastic accessories (see Ghouls Getaway for this particular bugbear!).
If I have not replied to you, please give me a PM! Super-busy and may miss some messages!

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 04:01:18 PM »

I can't stand when outfits don't have proper hems.  Bratz did this with some of their clothes in later years and now MH is doing it.  I also agree about the one-sided prints.  Really big M, how cheap can you get?

For me the reboot has led to some deal breakers.  Cleo's eyes are just too large now and I can't stand that she has molded on wrappings.  Maybe if she wasn't nearly covered in them I'd feel differently.  Clawdeen's molded on fur, ick.  Frankie's childlike face.  Certain characters being shelved because they're not child-friendly.  Painted (or molded on) clothing.  GRRRR.  The need to make everything less "scary" just to please parents and over-concerned people.   Doll 3 or 4 packs with almost no articulation selling for nearly the same price as articulated ones.
JMO
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:06:00 PM by Wuvmykitties »
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline Majesty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 04:05:11 PM »

I agree on this too.  This is Ever After High related but I was so excited to see Daring Charming finally have a doll but his jeans were molded and I think his shirt was too or most of his shirt.  I even looked at him in stores just to get a better view but I couldn't get him.  I'm really tired of Mattel's thing with plastic or molded accessories.  I miss the days when they're clothing was cloth material and you could tell they put a lot of work into the outfits.

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 07:02:16 PM »
No goes for me:

• Unarticulated dolls
  • Moulded-on clothes (eg: Dana's constellation body pattern is amazing, but the fact that her torso has a black "corset" on made her a no-go for me)

I think most other things I can forgive, since I feel no guilt modifying or re-dressing dolls, but those two points are the big ones.

Online Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 10:24:24 PM »
No elbow articulation on a doll MH sized or larger. I used to collect just small dolls like SSC so I'm okay with the idea of smaller dolls being less articulated but for some reason once they get about MH teen sized I can't deal with stiff arms. It's why I was okay with Novi Stars and don't have any urge to rebody them but any unarticulated MH dolls (except the tweens and younger of course) that I like need to be rebodied right away.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.