collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 135
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

October 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

Author Topic: My son was in a car accident  (Read 282 times)

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+193)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
My son was in a car accident
« on: October 04, 2017, 08:37:04 AM »
My brother just called and he said he got a call saying my son was in a car accident and was taken by ambulance to the hospital. They didn't have any info on his condition, so now I'm just waiting for my brother to get to the hospital and find out what's going on and call me back. I'm trying to think positively, but it's really hard when you don't have any real info. So right now my mind keeps going to the worst case scenario. I live an hour away from them, so it's not like I can just go there myself, so I'm stuck waiting. I hope he's ok. I've already been worrying about him lately because he got a speeding ticket late at night a little over a week ago as well as a citation for possession of marijuana and it could have gone really bad if he had been stopped by the wrong cop since he's half black. I never had to worry about him until he became a teen. He never got into trouble. But now he's got some friends that are bad influences on him and he's definitely a follower type, so he's easily swayed into doing stupid stuff.

Offline DEStokes

• Trade Count: (+153)
  • MIB Collector
  • Beast Friend Forever After
    • View Profile
Re: My son was in a car accident
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 08:57:08 AM »
I hope you'll hear positive news soon, ShortyBoo. 

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 09:02:45 AM »
I hope he's OK!   :hug:
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline ebmerc

• Champion of Love and Justice
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 09:08:31 AM »
I'm so sorry Shortyboo! I hope he'll be okay

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 09:53:00 AM »
Oh no, I hope he's okay.
Hairdorable for trade, ask me.[/size]

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 10:05:45 AM »
I'm so sorry, ShortyBoo.  I hope that you hear back soon and that he's okay. :( *big hug*

Offline ShortyBoo

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 10:29:08 AM »
Well, I got an update. Apparently my son did cause the accident. He was driving too fast in the rain and when the car in front of him stopped, he couldn't stop in time and both cars were totaled. He was at fault, but thankfully wasn't ticketed. They took him to the hospital because he had chest pain and was having trouble breathing, but overall, it looks like he's ok. They're doing imaging now to see if he has anything broken or any other internal injuries. My brother said once he's released, he'll have to go to get anything left in his car. I know his iPhone 7 is in there. I'm hoping that it wasn't broken because he hasn't even paid it off yet and he already lost the car since it's a 2000 and he only had liability insurance. He has a job, but it's just part time since he's also attending college so I'm not sure what's going to happen. I mean, he can't really afford another car, but his work and school are like 15 miles away, so he needs a car. They live in one of those bedroom communities in the Chicago suburbs so nothing is that close and as far as I know, there's no public transportation. But after finding out how he drives, I'm not sure I want him to have another car for awhile.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 10:39:06 AM »
I'm so glad to hear that he's okay, ShortyBoo. :hug:

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 10:59:11 AM »
Oh no!   I'm glad he's ok but to lose a needed vehicle is so upsetting.  I hope he can find a way to get around. Uber can be pretty popular.  Maybe that's an option.

Offline respositob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 11:06:53 AM »
So glad to hear your son is okay, but sad to hear that the car was totaled! Hopefully he'll find another means of getting around. :hug:

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 02:58:51 PM »
Glad to hear he's OK ShortyBoo. He's been very lucky. I hope he finds folks to hitch rides with for a while, maybe coworkers and fellow students? Good luck!
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline TheQueenofKawaii

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • One-Eyed Ghoul
    • View Profile
    • TQoK Studio
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 08:45:19 PM »
I'm glad he seems to be mostly unharmed. 
Check out my etsy shop for cute custom doll outfits.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TQoKStudio

Offline ShortyBoo

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 08:46:41 PM »
Here's what was left of his car:

It's crazy to see that and to think he wasn't hurt a lot worse than he was. My brother took that pic in the tow yard when he went to get his iPhone from the car. Thankfully, it wasn't broken, because he doesn't need another expense. He actually had to pay $200 to get access to the car so he could remove any belongings from the car. Since the phone is worth more than that (and not paid off) he didn't have much choice. Plus, I'm pretty sure his wallet and at least one college textbook was in there.

So he was released from the hospital after the scans all came back normal. Apparently his chest hurting and trouble breathing was just caused by the airbag deploying and hitting his chest. Unfortunately, when he was there he wasn't in much pain, so he wasn't given any pain meds, but when he got home his ankle started to hurt pretty bad. Since my brother has medical training (he was in the National Guard and has been on two tours before recently getting disability) he said he'll keep an eye on it and if it looks bad in the morning, he'll take him to the hospital. For now, he wrapped it, put ice on it and has it elevated.

Now we need to figure out what's going to happen because he can't really afford another car, but he also can't quit his job since he still has fines and tickets to pay off and he needs to stay in college since we don't want to mess up his financial aid. Apparently when he got in the accident, he was on his way to go pay his speeding ticket and the citation he got for marijuana possession recently. The money to pay them ended up going to the tow company so he could get his belongings from the car, so I don't know how he's going to pay the tickets now. Plus, if he doesn't pay them by a certain date, he'll have to go to court and have to pay more. Oh, and now that he has a serious accident on his record as well as the speeding ticket and has only had his license for a few months, his insurance is going to be really high. He'll also have medical bills since he's on my brother's Tricare, but there is a deductible, plus he has to pay more (I don't understand the reasoning, something with the insurance not fully covering until a certain amount is hit) and he might get a ticket for the accident later. So, this is a very expensive mistake on his part. 

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 06:20:30 AM »
I can't even post what my reaction to that image was :o it's great he wasn't hurt more than he was, but all those expenses...:/
Hairdorable for trade, ask me.[/size]

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 08:09:22 AM »
I'm really sorry for you, ShortyBoo. 
Hopefully your son has learned a valuable lesson from this.  His life was spared for a reason.
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline alkevin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Fashion Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2017, 09:01:18 AM »
Glad he is ok.

Offline ShortyBoo

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 12:03:06 PM »
My son tends to talk about my mom not being a great driver, but she's never totaled a car, so I'm hoping that will stop now. I keep looking at that photo and it's just amazing that no one was seriously hurt. He's still claiming he was only going 20mph when he crashed, but no one believes him. There's no way the car would look like that if he was only going 20. I also found out that my brother was rear-ended by someone the day before my son wrecked his car. He wasn't hurt and his truck wasn't damaged at all, but he said the hitch on his truck tore through the car's bumper.

Offline Knightfire

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Monsterista
    • View Profile
    • Growing Up is for Quitters
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 05:54:06 PM »
"Only going 20mph over" I might believe, not only going 20. I hope he figures out quick that lying about this is about as smart as speeding on the way to go pay a speeding ticket.

Glad he's okay, though. Geez, that car! :blink: