collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 26
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

September 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Author Topic: The best sealant for acrylics?  (Read 496 times)

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
The best sealant for acrylics?
« on: October 01, 2017, 01:18:38 PM »
I've been looking through old threads to find the best sealant for acrylics. Is Mr. Super Clear the best? I use mod podge and that stuff is terrible. The paint has chipped off many times. I painted some EAH accessories and I'd like to not worry about paint chipping. Should I use a spray or brush on sealant? Is MSC ok to use over metallic acrylics?

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
Re: The best sealant for acrylics?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 02:58:36 PM »
Yeah, I definitely would not recommend using Mod Podge.  While it is technically labelled a "sealer", it's intended to be used as a glue and puzzle saver above all else.  It's problematic... to say the least. lol

For accessories, I've heard really good things about DuraClear brush-on varnish.  It's available at most hobby and craft stores.

I use Liquitex Matte Varnish for acrylic face-ups, but admittedly, I have not had success using it to seal accessories.  I used it one time to seal a pair of shoes, and they yellowed and became tacky after just a few months, so I've never used it for accessories again. :(

And yes, you can certainly use MSC to seal accessories.  I've used to it seal EAH shoes in the past and it worked very well, even over the metallic bits.

DeviantArt  |  Flickr  |  Instagram

"They say nothing is impossible; but I do nothing every day."

Offline Shenanigans

• Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 07:50:05 PM »
Thank you! Can I get MSC at craft stores?

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 09:52:57 PM »
Unfortunately no.  You'll need to order it. :(

I usually get mine through eBay, but you can also get it on Amazon and The Junky Spot.

DeviantArt  |  Flickr  |  Instagram

"They say nothing is impossible; but I do nothing every day."

Offline Lhianneth

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 10:54:15 PM »
I agree that brush-on varnishes are really good for acrylic face-ups. They won't smear like with pastels/water colour pencils, but it also means you can be more selective in applying it if you only want to do small modifications, or are concerned about the sealant fogging due to your climate.

I use Tamiya matte or gloss varnishes for redoing lips and accessories that don't get touch-ups with pencils or pastels. I also use them to add a bit of gloss to eyes or lips. So far, after a year, none of the dolls or accessories I've finished have gone tacky or discoloured that I can see.

The other benefit of brush-on varnishes is that you can mix in pigment to create a shimmery finish that gets lost with spray sealants (they turn glittery or shimmery finishes matte). So I have some Pearl Ex pigments that I mix into the Tamiya varnish for that. :)

Edit: adding examples.

This Catrine has white pearl shimmer powder mixed into her the varnish coating on her lips (base lips were repainted pale pink from hot pink before varnishing). You can see the subtle change caused by the pearl pigment by looking at her head angle in the different photos.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

These shoes from ME Lagoona were stripped, washed, and repainted with acrylics. They were than coated inside and out with gloss varnish for a shinier, "wet" look.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

I have some other accessories that were sealed using varnishes or MSC, but no photos of them right this minute. I can try to take a few later, if it helps.
 But I very much endorse the use of Tamiya's acrylic line. They're aimed at model kit builders, so they have a pretty amazing range, and are designed to work with sealants like MSC on plastics.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 11:00:21 PM by Lhianneth »