collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 38
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 7
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

December 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: Need Ideas for Multiple Doll Collectors in One Home  (Read 719 times)

Offline FangedPisces

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Voltageous
    • View Profile
Need Ideas for Multiple Doll Collectors in One Home
« on: September 30, 2017, 08:47:57 AM »
My friend L.X and I are planning on moving into an apartment sometime in the future. We're both very avid doll collectors, so I realized that we might have a problem telling our dolls and doll clothes apart. Our collections are both so big that they will definitely be overspilling our rooms and we both have ideas about different setups (Freak du Chic, Mad Tea Party, water-themed corner, "Artist" setup, classroom setup). There's probably going to be a lot of clothes sharing, as we both have a lot of custom doll clothes. It's just that as time goes on, I know we're going to forget which things we came in with.

I'd be fine with the living situation never changing, but I'm pretty sure that L.X would like to find someone and get married eventually, so I'd like to ask the Arena if you have any ideas or experience with more than one collector living in a home.
♫~♫~I need an o~ce~an~♫~♫

Desperately Seeking Gothic Girl (Dollar General) slimbox dolls (non-monster version). Willing to pay for your time as well as shipping! Please PM me?

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Voltageous
  • MIB signature abbey
    • View Profile
Re: Need Ideas for Multiple Doll Collectors in One Home
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 11:55:11 AM »
take pictures of your whole doll collection maybe? Then if you decide to move out then you can take the dolls you first had. And be sure to take pictures of anything you ordered too. But for now I'd say just have them combine and when you're ready to move or something then get all the dolls you have and she can get all the dolls she has :)
ISO Cupid and operetta's rings.

Online Melissa

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Gore-geous
  • Rochelle & Maddie fanatic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 12:48:06 PM »
You could tie a ribbon around each of your dolls’ legs or something like “L.X’s dolls are on black stands and mine are on colored stands” it can be subtle and that way doesn’t interfere with your display but you easily know what is whose.

Offline Mickey Rumble

• Ouchy Roids Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 01:46:07 PM »
 :shifty:

You can store your dolls at my place, I promise I'll give them back...

Offline FangedPisces

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 03:34:32 PM »
I forgot to mention that L.X is a dude, like me ^.^

A ribbon and photographs would be a good idea. We'd have to upload them to the computer in case something wiped out. It's going to be a heck of a lot of dolls. I'll probably have to be the one to have ribbons on mine since I have fewer dolls (but still over 200 -.-)

@Mickey Rumble Yeah, I bet you will...  :shades: in the year 2501 maybe.

Desperately Seeking Gothic Girl (Dollar General) slimbox dolls (non-monster version). Willing to pay for your time as well as shipping! Please PM me?

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• Voltageous
  • MIB signature abbey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 03:44:07 PM »
I forgot to mention that L.X is a dude, like me ^.^

A ribbon and photographs would be a good idea. We'd have to upload them to the computer in case something wiped out. It's going to be a heck of a lot of dolls. I'll probably have to be the one to have ribbons on mine since I have fewer dolls (but still over 200 -.-)

@Mickey Rumble Yeah, I bet you will...  :shades: in the year 2501 maybe.
Another thing, grab some tape that won't stain if you put marker or sharpie on it and put it on the doll's back or back of head and write your name :)
ISO Cupid and operetta's rings.

Offline prancingstag

• Fashion Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 08:38:29 PM »
I haven't lived with another collector but when it comes to anything I go towards organisation as your best friend. I would consider drawing up a written and/or photographic catalog of your collection. Physically adding anything to your dolls like tape, glue, marker, colored fabrics etc. may stain or damage the plastic in the long run. A google document or a photo album hosted online/cloud-based would be a good backup, and can be easily accessible to both you and your roomie to figure out who owns what pieces. As you have a very large collection you may think someday of getting it insured, having a comprehensive list of everything already in place would help you to assess the value properly. And if time comes that you want to sell anything you would have photos and descriptions all ready to go. :) I tend to make lists and keep photos of everything "collectible" or merchandise-based that I own so that I can quickly and clearly see what's around and what kind of value it is holding, and also decide if I want to thin anything out without having to physically handle all of it.

A lot of my stuff also tends to be in storage boxes with a quick description of contents written on a post-it note taped to the top or side, and I have one or two display spots that I rotate rather than having EVERYTHING out at the same time. You and your roommate could have separate labelled storage for the majority of the collection not on display, and when you are changing setups just make sure that they're properly divided and x's pieces go back into x's bins, y's pieces go back into y's bins.
GO NINJA GO NINJA GO

Offline FangedPisces

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 01:40:33 PM »
Another thing, grab some tape that won't stain if you put marker or sharpie on it and put it on the doll's back or back of head and write your name :)

A bit of scotch tape with a small mark put onto the doll's back is a new one I didn't think of.

@prancingstag I didn't realize I could get my dolls insured. I'm always worrying about what I'd do if there was a fire... and there are some dolls that it would be a real pain to buy again (DG Poppy, Haunted Rochelle, Sirena, two Zomby Gagas). I've never bought insurance before. I'm just picturing walking into an insurance company with pictures of my dolls and them laughing at me and telling me that they aren't worth... I don't even know how that works, if I say what I paid for them or if I bring them in and they say "they're worth X". No idea.

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 11:25:53 PM »
I think a bit of ribbon is a great idea. You could easily hide said ribbon by tying it around the hip joint or under a shirt. Just be sure to use two colours that don't transfer (maybe white for one, pale pink for the other?) or wash the ribbon with vinegar to set the dyes before you tie them on!

As for loose clothing items, it might be a good idea to just keep those separate, or mark them somehow. Perhaps really tiny safety pins? You can get itty bitty ones in silver and gold (actually a tin mix and a brass coated mix, but close enough). One of you could claim silver, the other gold, and put the pins somewhere discreet like the inside of a hem or on the back near the velcro/snaps. Failing different coloured pins, you could put seed beads that match your collection colour onto the pins before attaching them to the clothes (eg: white ribbon for one collection, pins with white beads; pink ribbon for the other collection, pins with pink beads).

Offline FangedPisces

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 05:27:13 AM »
I think a bit of ribbon is a great idea. You could easily hide said ribbon by tying it around the hip joint or under a shirt. Just be sure to use two colours that don't transfer (maybe white for one, pale pink for the other?) or wash the ribbon with vinegar to set the dyes before you tie them on!

As for loose clothing items, it might be a good idea to just keep those separate, or mark them somehow. Perhaps really tiny safety pins? You can get itty bitty ones in silver and gold (actually a tin mix and a brass coated mix, but close enough). One of you could claim silver, the other gold, and put the pins somewhere discreet like the inside of a hem or on the back near the velcro/snaps. Failing different coloured pins, you could put seed beads that match your collection colour onto the pins before attaching them to the clothes (eg: white ribbon for one collection, pins with white beads; pink ribbon for the other collection, pins with pink beads).

I do have an obnoxious amount of seed beads that I could make into little necklaces for the dolls...

Offline RodimusKnight

• Fearleader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 10:32:11 AM »
It's hard to say really cause no matter what you do, one of you could still take the other's doll. My "friend" when I was younger would change a marking on one of my toys, especially if it was one he had but in better condition, and claim it was his.
My parents didn't want to argue, so he would get it, and his parents always took his side.
The photos are your best bet as "proof of yours", but nothing really is perfect.

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Monster Hunter
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 11:14:11 AM »
To add to the photographic storage record ideas….

1) There are free online storage options like Box.com and Dropbox.com - I think Box.com allows something like 50GB of storage? That's a lotta doll pics!

2) Maybe put a post-it note with the doll as you're taking the pic, as to who the doll belongs to. Easy enough to take the pics, but pics can get disorganized too. Having something in the pic that says 'Haunted Rochelle, Sam's doll' or however you want to do it, makes it conclusive.

3) Great idea about creating an archive of pics of collectibles that can be used in insurance purposes. Our house burned when I was just out of high school, and it's HARD to create a list of what you had from memory - pics could help in that endeavor. Plus, the pics help prove you actually possessed the item.

4) I like the 'teensy safety pin tucked into a hem somewhere' idea - make sure the safety pins are non-rusting and maybe stainless (not nickel or something cheap that will turn green).

"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline Mad_Malady

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • One-Eyed Ghoul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 10:43:11 PM »
Photo catalogue & one of you stitch a small X on all your clothes in an out of the way spot.

Your living situation sounds like heaven.