collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 26
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 8
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

January 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

Author Topic: Doll Photography Woes  (Read 489 times)

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
Doll Photography Woes
« on: September 29, 2017, 08:18:35 PM »
I'm sure we all have had things go at least slightly awry while taking photos of our dolls/toys and other hobbies at some point.

What are some funny or frustrating things that have happened to you while trying to get the perfect shots?

This thread was inspired by the fact that I charged my camera battery yesterday in to take photos today, but, somehow, the camera was switched on when I put the battery back into the body without my noticing, and it drained to zero again overnight. So. No photos for me today, as I wait to recharge the battery anew ...

Offline dxgirly

• Pullip Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Cleo & Deuce 2-Pack
  • <3
    • View Profile
Re: Doll Photography Woes
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 09:02:40 PM »
Things like this tend to happen to me:

Stop Taking Pics Of Those Dolls And Pet Me by Nikki, on Flickr

Hey! I'm Nikki! <3 Check Out My Youtube Toy Channel, My BJD Channel and My Gaming Channel 

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • MIB Collector
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 10:41:17 AM »
The room that I photograph in is south- and west-facing with three large windows that let in a lot of sunlight.  It's spectacular for photography, but it also gets quite hot in the middle of summer.  So I keep the ceiling fan in the room running almost non-stop to help keep it cool.
I use a large piece of foam board that I drape with scarves and fabrics as the backdrop for my photography; but I often forget to turn off the fan before setting up and starting to shoot.  So there I'll be—backdrop, doll, and camera all set and ready to go—when a draft from the fan suddenly catches the foam board and pushes it over, toppling my doll in the process. >_<

This happens to me far more often than I care to admit.  I'm super forgetful. ^^;
:brr: "I like being weird.  Weird's all I've got.  That and my sweet style." :brr:
DeviantArt | Etsy | Flickr | Instagram

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 04:19:52 PM »
Sometimes it just take a small miscalculation to have a dollydomino avalanche and have the complete "set" come apart.

I would have to say that I always remember this comment when stuff goes awry during photo sessions.
http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,4700.msg111496/topicseen.html#msg111496
Quote from: Among_the_stars
Quote from: nassib
Quote from: ebmerc
I didn't modify anything but had a heck of a time setting up the shot. At one moment I wanted to flip the table and say, " You're a MONSSTTTEERRR!" at which point I thought, " Oh wait...she is." 
I know the feeling, had everything ready, battle a bit, and manage to get Ghoulia to stand correctly in the first try, and then went to where the camera was, and half of the props were too far away from the doll and out of focus, and the surroundings were so muddy that places for the camera were limited options, had to rearrange everything again and Ghoulia didn't want to stand anymore 

Posing dolls is a lot like defusing a bomb, isn't it? It demands steady hands and nerves of steel. Also, a single mistake can end in disaster.  :facepalm: Yeah, doll photography is not for the weak.  :P
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 11:20:30 PM »
Steady hands are definitely a must. I, too, have knocked a single piece over while standing up after setting up a scene, and domino'd the whole thing into a mess. Alas.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 09:22:18 AM »
My neck and back always seem to cramp.  It makes me reluctant to photograph any of them.

Offline nassib

• MIB Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 01:36:54 PM »
Uh another one I just remembered. Noticing a terrible wonk eye for the first time in a doll within an otherwise perfect picture.
And then a set of tricks to pose the doll and finding a better angle to minimize the wonk but ruining everything else perfection in the process. And of course you already deleted the first picture
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • MIB Collector
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 06:03:00 PM »
Uh another one I just remembered. Noticing a terrible wonk eye for the first time in a doll within an otherwise perfect picture.
And then a set of tricks to pose the doll and finding a better angle to minimize the wonk but ruining everything else perfection in the process. And of course you already deleted the first picture

Yes! 
I often resort to digitally correcting eye wonk in Photoshop when I don't want to re-shoot an otherwise perfect photo. XD
:brr: "I like being weird.  Weird's all I've got.  That and my sweet style." :brr:
DeviantArt | Etsy | Flickr | Instagram

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Fashion Pack
  • hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 06:28:28 PM »
When your doll falls and it's hair (typically reroots ) is now scattered all over the place and you have to take 5 mins to redo it..
ISO Cupid and Holtís rings.
Wishlist: http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,14628.0.html

Offline nassib

• MIB Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 06:45:59 PM »
Having a doll with a pristine hairdo, and after posing and re-accommodating and stuff, and by the time she's just in the exact pose you want her, her hairdo has tons of stray and flyaway hairs :sad:

Nassib09, on Flickr