collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 7
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

October 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

Author Topic: The smell of Fray-Check.  (Read 2262 times)

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
The smell of Fray-Check.
« on: September 28, 2017, 01:12:58 PM »
Does anyone have any tips for getting rid of that Fray-Check aroma? 
I really cannot stand the smell of it, but I can't seem to get rid of it.  Even after washing my doll clothes, the smell is still there and quite strong. :(

Any tips or advice is most appreciated. :)

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
Re: The smell of Fray-Check.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 07:50:59 PM »
I can't find anything about reducing the odour (one person suggested washing in baking soda, but that only really works with bacteria-related smells like BO), but I did see someone else recommend Fray-Block instead? Apparently it's less fume-heavy and more pliable. Amazon reviews and the Q&A for the product have others saying the same about it. I've not tried it, however.

Offline Melissa

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Gore-geous
  • Rochelle & Maddie fanatic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 09:45:56 PM »
What do you set your fabric on to dry? I generally set my fabric on cardboard and haven't noticed a lingering smell so maybe the cardboard absorbs some of it?

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+193)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 03:44:39 PM »
What do you set your fabric on to dry? I generally set my fabric on cardboard and haven't noticed a lingering smell so maybe the cardboard absorbs some of it?

I'll have to try that. I've been sitting mine on my little wood table to dry, but then I always have to scrape off the dried Fray Check after each use. Even if it doesn't help the smell, at least I won't have to keep cleaning up after each use. Now if I could figure out a solution for the Fray Check coming out way too fast I'd be good. I recently ruined a new top because a few drops dripped on it. It doesn't seem to matter how carefully I open the bottle, it always ends up coming out super fast. And that's without me squeezing the bottle at all.

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 05:26:43 PM »

I'll have to try that. I've been sitting mine on my little wood table to dry, but then I always have to scrape off the dried Fray Check after each use. Even if it doesn't help the smell, at least I won't have to keep cleaning up after each use. Now if I could figure out a solution for the Fray Check coming out way too fast I'd be good. I recently ruined a new top because a few drops dripped on it. It doesn't seem to matter how carefully I open the bottle, it always ends up coming out super fast. And that's without me squeezing the bottle at all.

I haven't used Fray-Check yet but am interested in this thread as it's possibly a future endeavor - and I'm SO sensitive to smells it's cray-cray. One thought - could you add something TO the Fray-Check, like a few drops of essential oil? I don't know if that might affect how it dries, etc.

As for the 'coming out too fast' issue - what occurs to me is, using a brush of some kind to 'paint' it on? Might that work? Sort of like white-out.
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline Melissa

• Gore-geous
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 08:26:03 PM »
I haven't used Fray-Check yet but am interested in this thread as it's possibly a future endeavor - and I'm SO sensitive to smells it's cray-cray. One thought - could you add something TO the Fray-Check, like a few drops of essential oil? I don't know if that might affect how it dries, etc.

As for the 'coming out too fast' issue - what occurs to me is, using a brush of some kind to 'paint' it on? Might that work? Sort of like white-out.
In my opinion, no and no.

Adding essential oils to Fray-Check, which is designed to prevent non-stretch fabrics from fraying, would a) be counter-productive as the oils would almost certainly interfere b) probably make it smell way worse. Fray-Check kind of smells like rubber cement and adding any kind of natural fragrance sounds insane to me.

Painting it on would probably be messier. The Fray-Check bottles have a very small tip so you can easily apply in a line. It also starts drying pretty much as soon as it hits the air so painting it on would probably result in more of it drying on the brush than the fabric.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 08:43:22 PM »
Lhia and Melissa, thank you so much!
I will definitely be looking into Fray Block and giving that a whirl.
And that cardboard suggestion was a stroke of genius!  I tried it out earlier today and it massively helped to reduce the odor (I had previously just been setting the clothes on the bathroom counter to dry).

Thank you! :D

Offline Melissa

• Gore-geous
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 08:48:01 PM »
Lhia and Melissa, thank you so much!
I will definitely be looking into Fray Block and giving that a whirl.
And that cardboard suggestion was a stroke of genius!  I tried it out earlier today and it massively helped to reduce the odor (I had previously just been setting the clothes on the bathroom counter to dry).

Thank you! :D
I'm glad the cardboard worked for you... I get migraines from strong smells so I was kind of shocked to read your initial post, Fray-Check has never had a lingering smell for me! :P

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 10:50:59 AM »
I'm glad the cardboard worked for you... I get migraines from strong smells so I was kind of shocked to read your initial post, Fray-Check has never had a lingering smell for me! :P

It was seriously stinking up my entire workroom. LOL  But... I also wasn't waiting very long between applying and working, so that might have something to do with it. ^^;

Offline airiel

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MIB Signature Lagoona
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 09:50:22 AM »
You might want to try poking a hole in the tip with a needle instead of cutting it off.  It tends to come out much more slowly that way. I actually keep a needle in my bottle otherwise the fray-check will dry and clog the hole.

Airiel

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 12:42:42 PM »
Fray-Check kind of smells like rubber cement and adding any kind of natural fragrance sounds insane to me.

I did indicate that I'd never used Fray-Check. I was simply offering a suggestion that to me seemed reasonable.
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline DGRequiem

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
    • RequiemArt.com
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 05:00:42 AM »
You might want to try poking a hole in the tip with a needle instead of cutting it off.  It tends to come out much more slowly that way. I actually keep a needle in my bottle otherwise the fray-check will dry and clog the hole.

^this.  I've been using it so long I can apply a fine edge about 2mm wide to cut fabric with a nice small hole.  It's kind of like developing a technique for icing a cake: light, steady pressure.  With that much, I don't detect any residual smell after it dries, but maybe someone else with a more sensitive nose could?

There are 3 ingredients in Fray Check, a type of alcohol, water, and I think a kind of polyester which is the thing that binds the fabric fibers together.    The alcohol is the smelly part, because that's the solvent that evaporates causing it to dry quickly.  Water is diluting agent, synthetic fabric material is what coats the fiber edges and sticks them together. 

I run an air filter in my office pretty constantly.  I got it for allergies, but it's wonderful at keeping all the various craft smells away.  Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQLIJ14/ 
Check out my Etsy Shop for custom dolls and doll clothes patterns!

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 10:54:29 AM »
I run an air filter in my office pretty constantly.  I got it for allergies, but it's wonderful at keeping all the various craft smells away.  Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQLIJ14/

Oh, that's a great idea!  Between the sewing, the customizing, and the crafting, it seems that I'm always working with something stinky. lol
Thanks so much for the advice! :D