collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 38
  • Dot Hidden: 2
  • Dot Users: 9
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

November 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25
26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: smooshins  (Read 458 times)

Offline Quillette

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
smooshins
« on: September 19, 2017, 09:33:18 PM »
Smooshins are a make your own squishy kit. I saw them on YouTube and it looked like fun so I picked up the kit at Target today. It's not cheep at $40, but a lot of these kits seem to be that price. Anyway, I wondered if anyone else had seen them yet or tried to make one, or might want to make one.

They remind me of Kigurumi. You get two blind molds in the kit and three color pouches you mix up. Kind of like two part epoxy. So far you can only get two colors in the kit, pink and orange, but the molds are reusable and it looks like they will have refills with different colors and other blind molds to collect eventually. So far I have only made one, a pink puppy Kigurumi girl. The other is still curing in it's mold. I really hope it's a kitty.

I'm also curious if they can be painted. They come with little plastic faceplates and accessories you stick in them, but it might be fun to give the body some more detail.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 08:04:39 AM by Quillette »

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Monster Hunter
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
Re: smooshums
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 06:13:17 AM »
I'd not heard of these, so I googled…but had a hard time finding them as they're actually called Smooshins.

Looks interesting. Please post pics!
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline Quillette

• Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 08:03:46 AM »
I'd not heard of these, so I googled…but had a hard time finding them as they're actually called Smooshins.

Whoops! ^^;  I'll fix that. Just like me to spell the name wrong when I have the package right in front of me.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 08:05:51 AM by Quillette »

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Monster Hunter
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 10:27:14 AM »

Whoops! ^^;  I'll fix that. Just like me to spell the name wrong when I have the package right in front of me.

Haha, I like smooshums better!!
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+193)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
Re: smooshins
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 11:58:19 AM »
I've seen the YouTube videos of them (my niece was watching them on her tablet while sitting on my lap) and they're cute, but they're too pricey for me. I'd much rather spend $40 on a Pullip MIO kit, than on one of those. I might pick up some if I find them on sale or clearance, though.

Offline Quillette

• Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 12:28:11 PM »
Yep, not cheep. Fun though.

Here's a link to the two finished Smooshins. I can't seem to post pics from photobucket here and I've been lazy setting up an account on a different service so....

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh317/redfrog2b/IMG_2589.jpg

Only downside is that it's tricky getting a perfect smooshin. The pink puppy came out alright. Only missing a little from her top hair tuff. But my poor orange bear is missing half an ear. I still think she looks cute, but if only they put a little more in the pouches.

I might be tempted to buy a refill someday. I think it would be fun for kid sleep overs since you need to leave them in the mold overnight.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 11:49:36 PM by Quillette »

Offline ShortyBoo

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 04:27:24 PM »
The image doesn't work. It says something about updating your account. I use Imgur when I need image hosting. I used to use Imageshack for many years, even after they went pay, but this year, two months after I paid my yearly renewal, they cut my account off and refused to refund my payment or reactivate my account. It just said my trial was up. I sent them so many emails, which were polite at first, but they just wouldn't respond. I'm never using them again.

Offline Quillette

• Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 05:33:57 PM »
I guess I'll have to create an account after work tonight and try again.

I hope everyone can see this image. I swapped there faceplates because the dark pink hair with the pink smooshin matched too closely.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 06:07:52 PM by Quillette »

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 10:13:44 PM »
Can you reuse the mold?
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline Quillette

• Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 11:41:42 PM »
Yes you can. I used my extra pink pouch to make another bear. :) I wanted to see if tilting the mold to fill the ears with some of the pink goop right after filling it would help it to expand better into the smaller cavities, which it did. No missing ears this time.

The actual smooshin mold is made out of a hard, semi transparent plastic that clips and locks together. They come in a flimsy plastic egg shell, but that's just to make them like a surprise blind box. They want you to collect all the different molds, basically, but you don't need it to make the mold work.

It is nice to have the egg nest that comes in the kit because it lets the mold lay level while the goop foams and cures. Unless you think you can jimmy-rig up something to keep it level for four or more hours, then you might be able to get away with only buying the refills that come with an extra mold when they become available and save yourself some money. I think they will also be selling refills without the molds, just colorant and accessories, so you can keep reusing the ones you have and make new smooshins in different colors.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 11:43:36 PM by Quillette »

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 11:10:16 AM »
Yes you can. I used my extra pink pouch to make another bear. :) I wanted to see if tilting the mold to fill the ears with some of the pink goop right after filling it would help it to expand better into the smaller cavities, which it did. No missing ears this time.

The actual smooshin mold is made out of a hard, semi transparent plastic that clips and locks together. They come in a flimsy plastic egg shell, but that's just to make them like a surprise blind box. They want you to collect all the different molds, basically, but you don't need it to make the mold work.

It is nice to have the egg nest that comes in the kit because it lets the mold lay level while the goop foams and cures. Unless you think you can jimmy-rig up something to keep it level for four or more hours, then you might be able to get away with only buying the refills that come with an extra mold when they become available and save yourself some money. I think they will also be selling refills without the molds, just colorant and accessories, so you can keep reusing the ones you have and make new smooshins in different colors.

Do you think the molds can be used for other materials or that the goop could be used in other molds?
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline ShortyBoo

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 04:05:19 PM »
I wonder if the molds would work with polymer clay. I'm guessing the air dry kind would be better since I doubt the molds would hold up to being in the oven.

Offline Quillette

• Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 04:29:12 PM »
The top has little air holes to let the goop expand without large trapped air bubbles. I think if you fill the holes you can put other things in like resin or air dry clay. I would not put it in the oven though.

The only real down side to using other material are that the plastic knobs they have on the mold for the faceplate holes. I think are tilted at an angle and may need to be removed to let anything that isn't squishy be removable.

As for using the goop in other molds, it's hard to say. If it's an enclosed mold with vent holes and uses the same volume as the actual molds, then sure, why not.  But because it foams up and grows, it might make a huge mess being used in an open mold. Someone will have to try and see what comes of it.

Edit: I'll post some pics of the mold tonight.

Post Merge: September 21, 2017, 08:51:53 PM

Smooshin mold pics.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 10:54:49 PM by Quillette »