collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 23
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

December 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

Author Topic: Which heads do you have to soften?  (Read 822 times)

Offline Ameyal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
Which heads do you have to soften?
« on: September 19, 2017, 08:19:40 PM »
I was going to post this on the body matches thread since it's kind of the same, but it also kind of is something different, so I will let the mods decide if this should be merged or not...

Anyway, as someone who rebodies dolls frequently, I have come with brands that just require a good pull, and some that will break the body if they're not softened first. I guess it will also depend on the kind of climate(is that the right word) of the place you live in.
Anyway, in my own experience of beheading dolls:
Just pull 'em! (Grab the neck with one hand, pull firmly with the other)
Fakies
Monster High
EAH
Barbie
Male Descendants
Pinkie Cooper
Hello Kitty Club
Equestria Girls
Hasbro Princesses(Kristoff Included)
Mattel Princesses
Liv Jake

Heat them first!
Liv
Female Descendants
MC2 (The only doll whose neck I have broken. I dislike the body anyway)
Star Darlings

What are your experiences with beheading? :p

Offline Pawsome

• Skull Shores Ghoulia
  • My room is a mess and so is my life
    • View Profile
Re: Which heads do you have to soften?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 08:32:11 PM »
I just decapitated a Barbie today, and I used a heating pad. I warmed the pad in my microwave for a minute, wrapped it around her head (avoiding the hair) and waited until her head was squishy-soft. I tried to get the head off with a screwdriver, but I found the best method was bracing the neck with one hand and tugging the head with the other. I thankfully didn't destroy the peg (I am donating this body to another doll.) 

The Barbie had major glue head, so heating was necessary as her head was so hard. Barbies without glue (or very little glue) could probably be tugged right off with no heat.
"My philosophy is that worrying means you suffer twice. -Newt Scamander

Instagram: bobbyhashobby

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 08:55:44 PM »
The 17" MH dolls definitely need their heads heated/softened first.  And even then it's sometimes better to avoid removing their head altogether. -_- lol

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • Squishy doll heads everywhere! :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 09:29:19 PM »
When I was rebooting my wave one abbey ( she had a majorly bad body ) I used a ziploc bag and some boiling water to prevent her hair from melting or fraying ( you don't know how bad her little sparkles get when they fray! ) and it worked great! I just cut the little peg things off so I can get the head off easily if needed. I do not suggest pulling the head off if the peg thingies are still on because it's not meant to pull that way and will probably result in the neck splitting and turning bad like my catty ;-;
ISO Cupid and Holts rings.
Wishlist: http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,14628.0.html

Offline Ameyal

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 09:40:07 PM »
I just decapitated a Barbie today, and I used a heating pad. I warmed the pad in my microwave for a minute, wrapped it around her head (avoiding the hair) and waited until her head was squishy-soft. I tried to get the head off with a screwdriver, but I found the best method was bracing the neck with one hand and tugging the head with the other. I thankfully didn't destroy the peg (I am donating this body to another doll.) 

The Barbie had major glue head, so heating was necessary as her head was so hard. Barbies without glue (or very little glue) could probably be tugged right off with no heat.
Interesting! I hve never used tools other than a good pull(And an exacto knife on a particularly frustrating Liv head... amazingly, I can still use that one as if nothing had been done)

The 17" MH dolls definitely need their heads heated/softened first.  And even then it's sometimes better to avoid removing their head altogether. -_- lol
Ouch, I have heard they are very very hard and not even good for rerooting :s

When I was rebooting my wave one abbey ( she had a majorly bad body ) I used a ziploc bag and some boiling water to prevent her hair from melting or fraying ( you don't know how bad her little sparkles get when they fray! ) and it worked great! I just cut the little peg things off so I can get the head off easily if needed. I do not suggest pulling the head off if the peg thingies are still on because it's not meant to pull that way and will probably result in the neck splitting and turning bad like my catty ;-;
I personally have never heated a MH head, but that's mainly because where I live is relatively hot in summer(And spring and fall) with 30-45 C  (that's about 86-113F) so it's like they come preheated :p And honestly I used to cut the little peg things before, but I haven't as of late, and it doesn't seem to be very problematic.

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 02:47:37 AM »
Novi Star heads (the vinyl ones, not the hard ones with the electronics inside) pop right off and back onto their base bodies just fine, but they require a loooot of heat before you can put them onto a new one. If you don't use enough heat, the shimmer in their vinyl stretches and leaves marks on the surface. It's sometimes taken me an hour or more, with repeated warming, to get a head onto a new body because of this.

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 06:20:06 AM »
My one experience with head swapping (to date!) is just MH to MH - I warmed with an electric heating pad (possibly medium heat?), and then reheated both head and body for the re-joining. I think because I heated the neck the little wings or pegs were pliable and posed no problems at all when putting the head back on.

Thanks for making this list/thread, Ameyal!!
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline Takō

• Stiff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 10:03:53 PM »
The rare dolls that I behead without hair-drying them first are Bratz. You just have to push the head forward into the neck than pull it fast. The last time I did that, my elbow hurt something and I heard a big crash xD

I left a mark on an Equestria Girl head while I was trying to pull it out without heating... Never again.
But the minies ones, as well as the LPS Blythe or the knock-off MH, yeah, they can be pulled without effort.

I heated a VIP Pets head today. They definitely needed it to be pulled-out..