collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 27
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 6
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

November 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: Testing the waters... Doll craft subscription box  (Read 517 times)

Offline bewilderness

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Ponies and Monsters, oh my!
    • View Profile
    • Camp Crafty
Testing the waters... Doll craft subscription box
« on: September 16, 2017, 07:27:06 PM »
I had this idea of starting a subscription box service for doll collectors who like to make things for their dolls (combines two of my favorite things, dolls and crafts!)  I was wondering if this was something that anyone would be interested in?  It could have stuff for sewing, making furniture and accessories, etc.  I was thinking of starting out with a limited number of spots for the first box, and if it works out, release a box every 2 or 3 months.  And there'd be two options, for a cheaper box and a more expensive one.  I put together a collage of items that might be in a box.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/95214744@N04/36433684724/in/dateposted-public/

I'm still hashing out the idea.  Any input is very much appreciated.  :) 
Pony patches and MH & EAH sewing patterns on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/hiddendoors
Blog: https://campcrafty.wordpress.com

Offline Melissa

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+51)
  • Gore-geous
  • Rochelle & Maddie fanatic!
    • View Profile
Re: Testing the waters... Doll craft subscription box
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 07:55:33 PM »
While I honestly really love this idea (it's like Darby Smart but more specific), I will be honest and say I probably wouldn't subscribe for one reason only: I am such a hoarder already when it comes to craft projects. I am always buying way more fabric, paint, etc. than I need leaving me with basically an entire room in my house of unstarted or at the least unfinished craft projects... Like, I think I have all of the fabric swatches in your mockup besides the spider web one, lol. Now if you wanted a collaborator so I could get RID of some of my extra fabric, I would be totally down for that, lol.

Offline bewilderness

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
    • Camp Crafty
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 07:57:57 PM »
While I honestly really love this idea (it's like Darby Smart but more specific), I will be honest and say I probably wouldn't subscribe for one reason only: I am such a hoarder already when it comes to craft projects. I am always buying way more fabric, paint, etc. than I need leaving me with basically an entire room in my house of unstarted or at the least unfinished craft projects... Like, I think I have all of the fabric swatches in your mockup besides the spider web one, lol. Now if you wanted a collaborator so I could get RID of some of my extra fabric, I would be totally down for that, lol.

Lol, I completely understand.  My fabric collection runneth over too. XD 
Pony patches and MH & EAH sewing patterns on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/hiddendoors

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Create a Monster
  • MIB signature abbey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 09:41:16 PM »
I like this idea. I'd say include some more formal fabric too because if you include all holiday fabrics they might just sit around for years if they don't get fully used. Maybe include a fabric of black or white that doesn't fray easily? I think that would be nice along with some patterns, knit, etc. but this is a nice idea although I probably won't use the ribbons too much but definitely include some season thread and possibly needles along with fabric glue! Don't forget the fabric glue pleeeeasssseeee.
For trade: wonk eye Gigi first wave, catty noir first wave, viperine, geek howleen, orig howleen, MIB orig abbey, sdcc wisp missing earring stand and diary, first wave abbey everything ( broken knee ) but purse, 1600 clawd, first wave operetta ( different ring but everything included, Clawdia first wave.

WISHLIST <3: Fierce rockers catty, Mouscedes, werecat twins first wave, and 13 wishes howleen. Will use money or possibly trade, not looking for them in box since that will be even more expensive.

REASONABLE TRADE/BUY OFFERS ONLY.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Beast Friends
  • Ooh! Shinies! *o*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 10:04:50 PM »
I can honestly say that this kind of thing would really interest me... If the fabrics/supplies were curated specifically for dolly crafts, and there was a big emphasis on quality, I'd probably end up subscribing. :)

As for suggestions:
  • Provide a nice variety of materials, but keep them coherent (i.e., a given box should include fabrics that compliment each other).
  • Focus on quality; avoid cheap lace, tarnish-prone metals, etc. I'm happy to buy "surprise boxes", provided that the surprises are good ones. :)
  • Lots of mini-scale supplies! Tiny prints, buttons, beads, and whatnot would be nice inclusions. :)

Good luck! Keep us updated!

Offline Quillette

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Freaky Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 12:17:38 AM »
An interesting idea, and I think it could turn out to be something really cool, but keep in mind cost. You will want to keep the prices of boxes consistent from release to release. But remember that patterns and notion items, such as buttons and thread and trim and lace, and fray check can add up fast. If your boxes are too expensive, not a lot of people are going to want to bite. Some things you might just have to leave out/expect the recipient to get on their own like the thread or fray check or fabric glue. Things the average crafter is already going to have, or should have. On that note, finding interesting things to include that you can't readily find at your average local fabric/craft store would be good too.

I'm just going to be blunt here. While I like the idea, if I were to open a dolly craft box and I saw things I could have gotten myself at JoAnn, I would probable unsubscribe.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 12:26:32 AM by Quillette »

Online Sakuya

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Creative Kitty
  • Artist for hire!
    • View Profile
    • Sakuya's DA
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 01:16:13 AM »
It do sound like a nice idea, but I sadly wouldnt be able to subscribe...I cant custom thing fast enough and as i have specific wants for my customs, I have the need of specific things. So getting random things I dont really need will just create a big stash that take that precious space from me.
Much more so I would have a need for a shop that carry fabrics with fashion doll sized prints. It's really hard to get prints in the right dimension where I live as most fabric shops are directed to normal usage. And online it is really hard to tell the tickness or dimension of the pattern in compare to the dolls...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 01:18:24 AM by Sakuya »
Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
In the mood for clawsome art?
Im always available for commissions!

Offline bewilderness

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
    • Camp Crafty
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 12:09:50 PM »
Thank you all very much for the feedback! ^_^  After thinking about it some more, I may start off making some kits to go in my Etsy shop and see how that goes first and if they do well, start a subscription.

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Monster Hunter
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 12:51:06 PM »
Interesting idea - also keep in mind shipping costs, as they go up they add to the cost for customers.

Haha, once I started dollie collecting, my 'creative stash' went haywire. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a fabric and supply overload.
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline NsMHdolls

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 04:19:01 PM »
I think that it's a great idea. I am planning on starting a couple of boxes myself (not MH, but MLP and AG doll boxes.). I think that as long as the boxes are reasonably priced, people may buy it. Good luck!
I am now taking commisions for Custom dolls, ponies, handmade ponywear and doll clothes, and handmade pet hooded coats!

Offline Myrcury

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Down Undah Diva
  • Official Candy Ghoul (says Dfotw!) <3
    • View Profile
    • Myrcury's Toybox
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 03:03:53 AM »
I think it's a great idea! I'm a craft supply hoarder myself, but always open to new cute stuff or ideas I maybe hadn't tried yet. Interested! :)

My Sales *** My Trades *** My Wishlist

I'm a fabric hoarder! Need fabric for making doll clothes? PM me, maybe I can help! :)

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• Create a Monster
  • MIB signature abbey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 09:19:31 PM »
A good idea to add is some patterns for clothing :) maybe 1-2 per box? If you would like I could help you with that :)
For trade: wonk eye Gigi first wave, catty noir first wave, viperine, geek howleen, orig howleen, MIB orig abbey, sdcc wisp missing earring stand and diary, first wave abbey everything ( broken knee ) but purse, 1600 clawd, first wave operetta ( different ring but everything included, Clawdia first wave.

WISHLIST <3: Fierce rockers catty, Mouscedes, werecat twins first wave, and 13 wishes howleen. Will use money or possibly trade, not looking for them in box since that will be even more expensive.

REASONABLE TRADE/BUY OFFERS ONLY.

Offline Ameyal

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 09:40:51 PM »
I'm not sure on the subscription thingie, but maaaaybe "limited" themed boxes available depending on the stuff you have/get? like, a yard/meter of fabric can go a LONG way in doll clothes, but it's kinda boring to have 1908729872 outfits with the exact same fabric, but also equally hard to get fabric that scales good with dolls, so maybe, like the example, a "Halloween" themed box with like squares of 12x12 inches so that they're enough for a dress or smaller stuff? A couple themed fabrics, and like has been said already, a couple more in neutral colors so they can combine them?

Offline bewilderness

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
    • Camp Crafty
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 07:16:14 PM »
Thank you all SO much for the input! 

I'm also wondering, would you prefer a box that's more focused on sewing or on making furniture and accessories for dolls?  Or a mix of the two?

A good idea to add is some patterns for clothing :) maybe 1-2 per box? If you would like I could help you with that :)

A custom pattern is a good idea; thanks!