collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

* Calendar

September 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: Monster High Ballet (or Dance?) Line  (Read 1494 times)

Online Ameyal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Monster High Ballet Line
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 07:23:03 PM »
Also, I'm pretty sure the reason they chose Cleo was for the humor/novelty of her using mummy wrappings for ribbon twirling. XD

.... Now that I think about it, does ballet has ribbon twirling? would that be more appropiate for rhythmic gymnastics?

and y'know, with the mention of Venus randomly picking casketball, I'm kinda hoping they are lowkey bringing back the old lines like dance class and ghouls sports...

Not that I know of. :lol: But historically... anything goes in ballet-themed DOLLS (I'm looking at you, platform-toe-shoes!). XD
hahahahahahahaha

Have they actually used the term "ballet" yet, by the way? I would think they'd showcase lots of difference dance styles in a line like this, as they did with "Dance Class".
That made me realkize that the dress od Clawdeen can easily be a prototype of Cleo's like when the Scarnival Skelita dress had River's fabric

Offline Listie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
  • Frankie Stein Fanatic!
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 07:45:37 PM »
Hmm, I like her face & updo hairstyle, and her plastic accessories (especially the headpiece), but I'm not so keen on the dress or ballerina theme. I like Clawdeen's dress, though. Kinda reminds me of Cyndi Lauper or Pat Benatar.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:47:32 PM by Listie »

Offline ReversedUser

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 07:47:06 PM »
I agree that the dress in the OP is more than likely a mock up of Cleo's dress, so it's yet to be seen whether or not this is a full fledged ballet themed line or just a slightly more extravagant "Dance Class" with the styles doled out to different characters. I'm cool with either honestly.

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 08:46:19 PM »
I don't see why it wouldn't be legit. It's basically a carbon copy of Cleo's, just with a different fabric pattern haha.

So I assume we're going to get the core girls; Cleo, Clawdeen, Lala, and probably Frankie. Probably Ari or Twyla as well.

I hope they use this to introduce someone again, not sure who though. The only person that comes to mind is Duchess haha.
Isi would be cool to see since she's basically the only dancer.

Personally, that makes me suspect that it's not meant for Clawdeen at all (plus the fact that it's on Gigi).

The factories have been known to use old fabric for new prototypes in the past, which has thrown people in terms of knowing which line and which character will be getting a release. I reckon Clawdeen won't be getting that dress, and that it was just a prototype/mock-up for Cleo's design.

Personally, I think we'll end up with a gimmicky doll and small play set (ballet bar, etc.) that will probably feature Frankie or Draculaura.

We'll get a handful of Deluxe dolls including Cleo (having seen her, that's pretty much confirmed), probably Frankie or Draculaura (whoever doesn't end up with the playset or gimmick doll), and maybe Rochelle.

Then I expect we'll see basic/budget dolls with less detail, though hopefully more than the EAH budget ballet line, which will likely include Lagoona or Clawdeen, a new character, and maybe a secondary character we haven't seen much of (my guess would be Ari or maybe Gigi at this point).

Offline neon_jellyfish

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 03:15:28 AM »
I don't mind ballet / dance theme per se, my main problem with the doll are molded-on tights, maybe ugly joints (if they really happen, I hope it's a prototype thing), and her accessories seem a bit bulky to me. As separate pieces, they're nice, but all together look like armor. I like that on EAH DG dolls, because there it was supposed to be armor, but if this is a dance line, it seems way too much for me. But at least they're not molded-on, sou you can take them off, if you don't mind paying for stuff you're gonna remove as soon as you debox the doll.

I hope there's some monster twist to this line we don't know about yet.

To add something positive, I do like Cleo's face-up and hairdo, and I'm glad that this line has at least one fully articulated doll. Playset with ballet barre in cobweb-covered wrought iron and haunted mirrors (and some lockers, I have a weird soft spot for lockers) might actually be cute.

I'm really curious about the rest of the line.

I think that typical girl-ish themes, like princesses, could be awesome, if done right. I'd love Scarily Ever After wave 2. And 3. And 4.

Offline Carrehz

• Down Undah Diva
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2017, 07:27:50 AM »
I feel like they're not thinking about the character when they design the concept any more.

Couldn't have put it better myself :(

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2017, 07:30:56 AM »
I feel like they're not thinking about the character when they design the concept any more.

Have they ever tho? They put a Gargoyle in a swim line.
Still seeking Indigo Astranova doll and Chase Twyla Vinyl!!!
My Trades - MH, Customs, and More!
Also seeking mini Catwalk Kitties fakies, Avea size Frightmares, this Galaxy Starz doll, these Novi Stars fakies, real Novi Vera Tabray, Twilight Teenz Nemonia. Trades Preferred.

Offline Carrehz

• Down Undah Diva
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2017, 08:20:01 AM »

Well yeah, but at least her outfit felt like something she would actually wear, if that makes sense? This Cleo is pretty, and her outfit's pretty, but they don't quite.. 'go' together, imo.

(Also, wearing a swimsuit =/= actually swimming.. maybe she was just hanging around the beach XD Altho I agree that they did seem to.. not put a lot of thought into that wave of swim dolls.. wasn't that the wave w/ Frankie [water conducts electricity] and Holt [fire hair] too? XD)

Offline pinkbird

• Fangtastic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2017, 11:18:08 AM »

Well yeah, but at least her outfit felt like something she would actually wear, if that makes sense? This Cleo is pretty, and her outfit's pretty, but they don't quite.. 'go' together, imo.

(Also, wearing a swimsuit =/= actually swimming.. maybe she was just hanging around the beach XD Altho I agree that they did seem to.. not put a lot of thought into that wave of swim dolls.. wasn't that the wave w/ Frankie [water conducts electricity] and Holt [fire hair] too? XD)
Wasn't it Rochelle's dream to be able to swim, but she can't because she sinks in water? I always thought they might have made the swim doll because of this fact. :D

Now back to the topic - I also think that doll is a pretty doll but it doesn't really say "Cleo" to me.

Offline taffeta

• Fearleader
    • View Profile
    • Britrock: The UK Home of the Misfits
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 12:21:38 PM »

Yeah, I touched on that in my original post. That maybe Mattel never did think of that and I've only just noticed.

I don't mind MH taking a twist on girly themes, but this isn't a twist to me. It's too neutral. At the very least spider web fishnet dance tights or something ><.
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline catwater

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Call me Claire.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr Blog
Re: Monster High Ballet (or Dance?) Line
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2017, 12:31:15 PM »
I want to see what the rest of the line looks like. Sure Cleo was disappointing... but there's still potential for a cool twist or an interesting design.
Wanted ListOld Customs PageCustomsEtsyTumblr!Sales ThreadFlickr

Etsy shop temporarily closed!

Turquoise Overload by Claire Atwater, on Flickr

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Monster Hunter
  • "there are tiny squishy MH tiny people"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2017, 12:35:19 PM »

Reusing that gif from my original post on the SDCC thread cause it's still really applicable. lol

I dislike these. Not only are they not even trying to be spooky, (It could've been a FDC type ballet which I'd be all over) it's also most likely gonna be the Mane 6 again. (Really, that's what they are now, except now it's ughh Ari instead of Ghoulia)
Spooky chic and "be unique, be a monster!" are kinda gone now. I've been back and forth on it, kind of in denial in the back of my mind, Garden Ghouls got my hopes up, but nope, it's gone. Now it's "We're just like you!" wannabe Barbie kind of crap. How is ballet relevant to any of the ghouls? (reboot ghouls... Mouscedes would be fun to see as a ballerina. A SPOOKY ballerina.)
Those PB&J ghouls also really solidified in my mind that MH is pretty dead.

Reallyreally disliking these. Garden Ghouls got my hopes up that MH might be picking back up again, that's a very interesting line. But this, and all the other new store release dolls that have been revealed so far are just... Terrible. MH is getting the EAH treatment now.

Infact my Fresh Prince gif up there not only sums up my feelings on this ballet line, but also pretty much everything else MH has coming out now.

I don't mind MH taking a twist on girly themes, but this isn't a twist to me. It's too neutral. At the very least spider web fishnet dance tights or something ><.

^

Offline Cleoglyphics

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Instructions Unclear
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2017, 01:52:24 AM »
I really like that Cleo's faceup, her accessories and her hair but the dress and moulded tights is... :/

I might rebody her and scrap the dress and either buy a custom dress or get an older dress for her (after I budget for Treesa and Music Class Cleo + A Reboot Cleo to rebody her with)

Wait, wouldn't Mouscedes be a good fit for this line? Considering she canonically loves dancing and her Rat King father is implied to be the same as the Rat King from The Nutcracker?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 01:57:21 AM by Cleoglyphics »
Sugar, Spice and everything Feist!

Offline Carrehz

• Down Undah Diva
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2017, 07:26:37 AM »
The character in the Nutcracker is the Mouse King. A rat king is.. not the same, lol.

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Down Undah Diva
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2017, 10:57:54 AM »
Well, personally I am over the moon that she's got articulation!!! And a large variety of wonderful accessories! And a dress that's NOT a mini or slip dress!

I'm not so crazy about the molded-on tights, but hey, they're easier to cover up than, say, a molded dance bodysuit would be. And what's the difference between molded tights and molded mummy bandages, really??? And better molded tights than molded shoes!!! HORRORS!!

It's unfortunate about the recent fabrics, that shiny cheap taffeta stuff that frays so readily isn't my favorite, but it's easy enough to swap out.

A 'Dance Class - Ballet' line might be kinda nice, especially if it has an interesting barre/mirror/locker/bench playset concept to go along with it. Dance class at the Monster High!

"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline Cleoglyphics

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Instructions Unclear
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2017, 04:33:01 PM »
The character in the Nutcracker is the Mouse King. A rat king is.. not the same, lol.

Yeah, I know about actual rat kings, but Mouscedes's personality and her love of dancing indicates she's based more off the Mouse King than a "Rat King".

She doesn't have a mess of tails, for one
Sugar, Spice and everything Feist!

Offline Carrehz

• Down Undah Diva
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2017, 07:52:57 AM »

Yeah, I know about actual rat kings, but Mouscedes's personality and her love of dancing indicates she's based more off the Mouse King than a "Rat King".

She doesn't have a mess of tails, for one

-shrug- If you say so. Personally I always thought they just designed her as a generic rat girl and then decided her parentage later..