collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 22
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

December 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

Author Topic: Adding Articulation to Non-articulated Dolls  (Read 3767 times)

Offline rayedelsol

• EAH Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • MIB Collector
    • View Profile
    • rayedelsol.com
Adding Articulation to Non-articulated Dolls
« on: August 13, 2017, 04:06:49 PM »
I'm guessing the Customs board would be the best place for this topic. Please forgive and feel free to move if not ^.^

I am seeking feedback on this design. I am trying to give some of my less articulated (cheap) dolls some articulation and this was the first design we came up with. It is two pieces of acrylic that are laser cut (our newest toy!) and then put into the doll's arm. The pegs can rotate within the arm and then hinge around each other. I know it isn't the most attractive design right now, so that is one reason I am seeking feedback.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 04:17:14 PM by rayedelsol »

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
Re: Adding Articulation to Non-articulated Dolls
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 04:45:10 PM »
These are just my thoughts, so take them for what they're worth....

I thnk you definitely have the right idea.  If you take a look at the way a MH or EAH arm joint is constructed, it's similar to this, except of course it's plastic.   A few years ago, metal was used to create the joints and in most (if not all?) cases the arms or hands couldn't be removed. 

You may want to take a look at this video on how someone articulated the arms and wrists of a Bratz doll.  My concern with their method is they're inserting metal or wire into vinyl, which is not a good idea since they react with the vinyl and will cause green spots.  If you could find a plastic alternative that would be better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB-U3bzim6E

BTW if anyone knows how to articulate the *legs* of a doll let me know!
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline rayedelsol

• EAH Obsessed
  • MIB Collector
    • View Profile
    • rayedelsol.com
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 04:56:12 PM »
Thanks for that! I had seen a similar video and was trying to avoid the wire. The arms (and I want to apply this technique later to legs) of a MH doll seem much less gummy than those of a Bratz doll, so I don't know how well this method would work.

Offline 8BrickMario

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 05:42:39 PM »
I was wondering if a hinge transplant might be possible, too.
My photo thread:           My drawing thread:

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 09:11:05 PM »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Perfect timing! I just went looking for anyone who's articulated the straight arms/legs of the reboot dolls. I'm specifically looking for a way to articulate the elbows/knees of the monster children (Fangelica, Pharrah) that I just got. I mean, their boxes show them on the floor playing board games! So something that hinges AND rotates would be fantastic.

Can you post a clear, close-up pic of JUST the laser-cut jointed piece?

What did you use to cut the doll arm? A smoother cut would be more desirable, IMO.

While long sleeves or even 'arm tubes' of fabric could be used to cover the joint, if you made the joint/cuts more attractive, I'd be inclined to show them off. Think bio-mechanic or bionic. Look at modern prosthetics for design ideas. Metallic and bright colors? They ARE monsters, after all.   :biggrin:
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline Kara Zor-El

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 07:15:27 AM »
There is a company called Hobby Base that sells action figure ball joints in various colors.

They're sold on eBay and Amazon, and may be useful in helping you settle on a design for these.  A lot of doll customizers use them as joint bases for adding elbow and wrist joints.  However, I haven't seen many knees.
I make the dolls Mattel won't.

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 06:23:03 PM »
There is a company called Hobby Base that sells action figure ball joints in various colors.

They're sold on eBay and Amazon, and may be useful in helping you settle on a design for these.  A lot of doll customizers use them as joint bases for adding elbow and wrist joints.  However, I haven't seen many knees.

What a cool concept!  I need to check out this place.

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 12:23:12 PM »

Kara, what a good resource/idea! Thanks!

Offline Mad_Malady

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ouchy Roids Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 10:37:13 PM »
My thinking is revoltech.

A search of "revoltech joints on monster high" brings up drool worthy photos of Torelei and Spectra on glow and ghost CAM bods. OylOul doesn't seem to have a tutorial or explanation of what or how. But it's the dream ! The whole photostream is actually awesome but nsfw.

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • Squishy doll heads everywhere! :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 12:40:03 AM »
My thinking is revoltech.

A search of "revoltech joints on monster high" brings up drool worthy photos of Torelei and Spectra on glow and ghost CAM bods. OylOul doesn't seem to have a tutorial or explanation of what or how. But it's the dream ! The whole photostream is actually awesome but nsfw.
The knee joints look amazing on spectra.. I may have to try this out with my operetta. By any chance do they have hip joints? My operetta needs hers repaired..
Ray I think if you painted it green it would look much better :) however it looks just a little too big and I'm not 100% sure how it works.. but, with some modifications and paint I'm sure it's going to look even better :) this is an amazing idea.
ISO Cupid and Holtís rings.
Wishlist: http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,14628.0.html

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 05:59:31 PM »

Very cool! Love the rotationÖ.

Offline Oak23

• Bad Box Hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 11:57:08 PM »

I've done that actually:
Hobby Base Joints by John Pickles, on Flickr

I use the same concept as the joint system is similar to Figma/revoltech figures.

I haven't done knee joints yet cuz Barbie/Ken legs are both hollow and really too wide to work with the avaible joints but MH would fare better due to being so thin.

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Assistant Ghouls
  • Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 10:03:54 AM »

I've done that actually:

I use the same concept as the joint system is similar to Figma/revoltech figures.

I haven't done knee joints yet cuz Barbie/Ken legs are both hollow and really too wide to work with the avaible joints but MH would fare better due to being so thin.

I got to thinking....do you think, if you filled the inside with plastic pellets, it might help with knee articulation?  Also, do you have any pics or instructions showing where to cut, and how big a hole you need to make?  I am seriously considering giving some of my curvy gals articulation (as much as possible), and I think I have a couple I could use as bait.

Offline snowblossum

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 09:29:34 PM »
Wow you are amazing to try joints and love the rejointed Barbies. I learn so much on this board!!

I wonder if there is a way to melt the cut off platic from the joint area (or some plastic  from a broken or a bait doll) and mekt the coloured plastic around the joint?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 09:44:47 PM by snowblossum »

Offline Oak23

• Bad Box Hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 01:31:49 AM »

I've done that actually:

I got to thinking....do you think, if you filled the inside with plastic pellets, it might help with knee articulation?  Also, do you have any pics or instructions showing where to cut, and how big a hole you need to make?  I am seriously considering giving some of my curvy gals articulation (as much as possible), and I think I have a couple I could use as bait.
That could work but I have no way of making sure they don't bend forwards which is a big issue for me.

I really just eyeball where I cut, then trim off more when it looks too long. It's really just trial and error and not really precise.

The ball joint pegs are 2.9mm so I used a 3mm drill bit for the holes.

Offline flegin

• Skull Shores Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 03:00:43 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone has or knows of anyone that has attempted to articulate MH and EAH ankles? I have been searching and haven't found anything yet. I plan to attempt it myself, but wanted to know if others had?

[Merged with existing articulation discussion.  ~SaelaVe]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 07:17:44 PM by SaelaVe »

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• MIB Signature Ghoulia
  • Squishy doll heads everywhere! :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 03:26:37 PM »
I remember seeing a Russian youtuber articulate the entire MH doll including toes.. Iím not sure who it was but she had articulated ankles it may have been Embodies Ideas? Good luck!
ISO Cupid and Holtís rings.
Wishlist: http://mharena.com/index.php/topic,14628.0.html

Offline flegin

• Skull Shores Ghoulia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 03:28:28 PM »
I remember seeing a Russian youtuber articulate the entire MH doll including toes.. Iím not sure who it was but she had articulated ankles it may have been Embodies Ideas? Good luck!

That would be perfect! I'll see if I can do some searching and find it. Thanks for the info! If you happen to figure out who it was, please let me know!

Thanks!

Offline snowblossum

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 04:23:05 PM »
I wonder if the legs could be filled with resin to make solid

Offline rayedelsol

• EAH Obsessed
  • MIB Collector
    • View Profile
    • rayedelsol.com
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 08:42:25 PM »
Wow! I'm sorry I haven't been by to respond lately but these are some great options! Thank you everyone for posting! I love those Revoltech joints. I'll have to check that out for sure!