collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

* Calendar

September 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: The dolls whose prices make you do a double take.  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Creeperific
    • View Profile
The dolls whose prices make you do a double take.
« on: August 09, 2017, 08:38:13 AM »
I've seen a couple mentioned here and there, and I looked them up and was like "Huh?  Wait a minute!"  But what started it for us last night was my sister looking at lots, and she just blurts out "Which one of you went up?!"  I think in that lot, it was Ghouls Getaway Elissabat, who I had seen on here mentioned as one that has gone up.

I'm not talking the limited runs, like Maul Monsteristas, BYBY pack with Catty, Gloom & Bloom Cleo and Jin, etc.  The ones that hung out in your area, that you never saw anyone excited to have on the forums, or the ones you sold for nothing only to see what they're going for now.

I think off the top of my head, Bloodgood is the best example.  I recall Toys R Us stores not being able to part with her, still having full shelves of her, at like $5 at one point, or at least below $10.  She's gone down a bit, though at one point I think she was $40 loose and still can go for $50 in box.

FDC Toralei blew my mind, I was looking up FDC dolls, and she can go between $40 and $60!  Though Roses had about twenty last time we went.

13 Wishes Howleen is another, one who was a $5 Black Friday deal a few years ago and still goes for a high amount of price.  Haunt the Casbah Clawdeen and 13 Wishes Gigi also seem to be rising steadily.

Can't forget River, who sat here on clearance for a while.  No one was that excited for her that I saw, though I was not here at the time, the forum I was on everyone seemed to want Kiyomi and Vandala.  Perhaps that's why she's so expensive, because she was least sought at one point?

Fierce Rockers is another, though I think they suffer from a limited run, if anyone can confirm?  We still had the 3 pack at TRU, but they've gotten very costly on the second market.
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline Kara Zor-El

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Down Undah Diva
    • View Profile
Re: The dolls whose prices make you do a double take.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 09:42:07 AM »
Invisi Billy was like...$8 on Amazon at one point, and now I can't find a nude one for less than $15!  :annoyed:
I make the dolls Mattel won't.

Offline Konzern

• Creeperific
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 09:54:32 AM »
I didn't even think to look up Billy.  I know at one point he was probably the easiest boy to find, I remember people saying he was sitting at their discount stores.  We kept coming across the girls, never thought I'd see one, so I bought one online because I had to have him, and stumbled across the only one in stores we ever saw.

Offline taffeta

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fearleader
    • View Profile
    • Britrock: The UK Home of the Misfits
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 12:34:51 PM »
THis is interesting because this might form the pricing patterns of G1 dolls going forward. It's not always logical why certain items sell for more. I was lucky enough to find Billy and River second hand for a good price ($5 each) and I remember people commenting that that was a good find but I hadn't really thought about it in terms of changing prices.

Fierce Rockers (the 2 set) is still on shelves at TRU here.
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 06:38:49 PM »
THis is interesting because this might form the pricing patterns of G1 dolls going forward. It's not always logical why certain items sell for more. I was lucky enough to find Billy and River second hand for a good price ($5 each) and I remember people commenting that that was a good find but I hadn't really thought about it in terms of changing prices.

... just curious. How much are the packs selling for? The prices on ebay are ridiculously high, even before shipping is considered. And US-based Amazon is just as bad, with the packs at $60 and $45 before shipping.

ETA: And most of the sellers, on Amazon at least, don't ship outside of the US, regardless.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 06:40:47 PM by Lhianneth »

Offline taffeta

• Fearleader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 06:42:38 AM »

... just curious. How much are the packs selling for? The prices on ebay are ridiculously high, even before shipping is considered. And US-based Amazon is just as bad, with the packs at $60 and $45 before shipping.

ETA: And most of the sellers, on Amazon at least, don't ship outside of the US, regardless.

Honestly, I'm not sure. My TRU is in London and I'm at home at the moment so it's not easy for me to check. I am guessing around the 29.99 mark but I am not certain. I got my 2-pack from Amazon UK on discount - are their shipping rules to Australia any better than the US one?

Edit to add: Yep, 29.99. The UK website still has the three pack as well. To my mind that's expensive though :/
http://www.toysrus.co.uk/toys/s?Dy=1&Nty=1&N=0&Ntt=fierce+rocker&x=0&y=0
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 07:19:28 AM »
There was basically No first-hand market for GnB Cleo and Jinafire. I found both once and could only get one so I got Cleo and never saw Jinafire again.

Now the cheapest one I find in full is 82$.
"America's Most Trusted News Source" Fail At Reporting Today's Date

Offline Konzern

• Creeperific
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 07:58:34 AM »
I didn't get the two pack, wish I had, but I love that Jin in the 3 pack so much.  Plus, I was mad at Catty, since I wouldn't be able to get all her dolls anyway. :lol:  I've also noticed all her prices in general have gone up, including her Mega Bloks, saw one that sold for $22!

I saw both of them once, and grabbed them both, if I remember correctly, they were not packaged well in Jin's favor, either.  2/4, which never made sense to me, if it's two, why so hard to do 3/3?  We did see another Cleo on a return trip to Target, but never Gloom and Bloom Jin again.

Offline Roeki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 08:10:13 AM »
I'm really upset about the Scaritage Skelita prices on eBay.

I check it often to see if I can snag a good deal, but I've found that the cheapest will be around $30 for an opened doll in worn condition - sometimes with no headdress.
The NIB ones are usually around $60. I really would love to have her, but I can't justify spending that on her. -sigh-
ISO Scaritage Skelita!

Offline Konzern

• Creeperific
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 09:34:35 AM »
I only saw the Scaritage line one time, though I do remember others saying they were very easy to find and even offered to pick them up for me.  Oddly enough, it was after Christmas, while it was before Christmas that everyone said they were all over their shelves.  I wonder if the price and availability of some of these, like the Scaritage line, are due to being in secondary stores like Big Lots, Family Dollar, Dollar General, etc.  I know it's probably little help, but I have seen her listed as Monster Pride as well. 

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 12:45:07 PM »
Scaritage Skelita was another one I wanted. I wouldn't have sold whichever one I had if I knew she would be so hard to find :(
"America's Most Trusted News Source" Fail At Reporting Today's Date

Offline taffeta

• Fearleader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 04:02:25 PM »
I am not convinced G&B Cleo or Jin even came out in the UK. I never saw them. I have Venus and I saw Catrine but never the other two.

But then I also thought that Scarnival Skelita wasn't sold here, and I ended up getting one in box on ebay. Then I found a loose one at a toy fair here for a good price so now I have a MIB one I can't store :/

Scaritage was another I don't believe came out here, or if she did, it wasn't in my area. I got a decent price on one in box on ebay a while back but her box is very beaten up. I haven't taken her out at present, but I debate it often.

I like the Jin in the Fierce Rockers pack but I do not want any more Venus dolls (I already have 2 more than I expected, thanks to GnB and I<3F) and I have yet to find a Clawdeen doll that I like :/ So that would be a lot of money for one doll - another I am hoping to find loose here one day as those sets seem to have had better UK distribution than the above.
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline Ameyal

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 04:10:19 PM »
Our stores usually reuse old barcodes, and they usually only had two prices: one for deluxes, and another for budgets, so I was pleasantly surprised with dolls that are in the middle point, like the "Save Frankie" and "Scarnival" ones, because they were priced like budgets here(Mind you they were still $189, but  I still got Jack, Clawd and Skelita.

Scaritage Skelita, on the other hand, I only found in a store whose whole gimmick is that it actually has stuff more expensive than other stores, but allows you to pay on parts... she was priced as a deluxe is in other stores($289, deluxes in that store range from $399 to $429). Since that was the only store that carried the line, I bought her here. No regrets tho.

I'm also weirded out when you guys mention a doll that is really hard to find but is everywhere here, and feel kinda guilty because I'm not interested in that particular doll/line

And not MH, but I'm surprised how some dolls that do arrive here end up so costly!
The budget descendants in one store are as expensive as the normal ones(I think it's because the reused barcodes...) thankfully, other stores do have them as half of that.

Ladybug dolls are also ridiculous, IIRC, they're $14.99, which should "translate" to anywhere between $200-$300... they're priced at $399. to put it in perspective, Descendants and DCSHG are $389(Althought the latter are usually down to $329). The action figures were $129, and those didn't last at the store at all!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 04:19:56 PM by Ameyal »

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 05:24:24 PM »

Honestly, I'm not sure. My TRU is in London and I'm at home at the moment so it's not easy for me to check. I am guessing around the 29.99 mark but I am not certain. I got my 2-pack from Amazon UK on discount - are their shipping rules to Australia any better than the US one?

Edit to add: Yep, 29.99. The UK website still has the three pack as well. To my mind that's expensive though :/
http://www.toysrus.co.uk/toys/s?Dy=1&Nty=1&N=0&Ntt=fierce+rocker&x=0&y=0

Usually the shipping is cheaper, but in this case, they still don't ship abroad for some reason.

Which is okay. I'm not looking to buy them right now, but due to the thread discussion, I was just curious about what the mark-up between the ebay price I saw from the UK/US was, and the price of still-in-stock dolls. It's about what I thought it'd be.

Online Lady Frostbite

• Absolutely Abbeylicious
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Pet Collector
  • 100% Good Accented Rottish Ghoul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 05:49:28 PM »
I am not convinced G&B Cleo or Jin even came out in the UK. I never saw them. I have Venus and I saw Catrine but never the other two.

They did, actually! They were in Argos; I vividly remember standing in a particular Argos branch making sure I got the doll I needed and of good quality for a buyer here  ^.^ I think I picked up a couple actually, but I can't remember who my buyer was, sorry!  :cry:
If I have not replied to you, please give me a PM! Super-busy and may miss some messages!

Offline taffeta

• Fearleader
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 05:57:34 PM »

They did, actually! They were in Argos; I vividly remember standing in a particular Argos branch making sure I got the doll I needed and of good quality for a buyer here  ^.^ I think I picked up a couple actually, but I can't remember who my buyer was, sorry!  :cry:

No, that's actually good to know, because it means there's a chance of them showing up on the second hand market if I am super lucky and keep looking ;)
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 11:24:31 PM »
Not MH, but I was shocked to learn the EAH Holly and Poppy sig 2 pack was so expensive. They were shelf sitters for the longest time, never ever thought they'd be sought after!

Offline Konzern

• Creeperific
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 06:53:52 AM »
I do agree about the O'Haire two pack, it sat on clearance here for a good long while, and it didn't seem like they were selling at all.  And now?  Yikes for anyone who wants it!

I think we all have those dolls, Ameyal.  For us, I definitely think of the Pack of Trouble 4 pack.  It sat, then vanished one day.

Offline Roeki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 09:34:54 AM »
I only saw the Scaritage line one time, though I do remember others saying they were very easy to find and even offered to pick them up for me.  Oddly enough, it was after Christmas, while it was before Christmas that everyone said they were all over their shelves.  I wonder if the price and availability of some of these, like the Scaritage line, are due to being in secondary stores like Big Lots, Family Dollar, Dollar General, etc.  I know it's probably little help, but I have seen her listed as Monster Pride as well.

AH! Thank you for the tip. I searched eBay with that and one came up at $30 opened but in good condition. I am not debating whether that will be my best bet even though I still feel thats high for a small box.
ISO Scaritage Skelita!

Offline Konzern

• Creeperific
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 10:59:39 AM »
You're welcome :) Occasionally looking up just Monster High Skelita might also pull up a decently priced one.  I've noticed Skelita as well has become pretty sought after and somewhat pricey in general.