collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 34
  • Dot Hidden: 2
  • Dot Users: 8
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

November 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25
26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: What's made you go "wow, that's so clever"?  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
Re: What's made you go "wow, that's so clever"?
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2017, 09:01:08 PM »
For me, it's mostly the tiny details on things that I don't necessarily notice at first glance. Going back and seeing things up-close later and going "oooh! Neat!"

For example:

• All the bedroom references to Twyla's outfits, like the locks and doorknobs and bed legs early on
  • And though I don't love Ghoulia, I do love that they covered her in brain-themed jewellery and details for so many releases
  • The body-moulding details on dolls like Honey (her spine looking like gator jaws) and Lorna (her celtic knot belly button)
  • Adorable, tiny jewellery details (Howleen's safety pin earring, Rochelle's wrought iron details)
  • ALL the themed shoes. The shoes are my favourite part of Monster High, I think.

But also, the silly, punny names and phrases are a lot of fun:

• Character names: Toralei, Meowlody and Purrsephone are good, catty puns; Gooliope from Calliope; Rochelle being made of stone; Venus for the plant; Amanita for another; the original Wolf family before they got out of hand, etc.
  • Place names: Scaris, Londoom, Boonited States, etc.
  • Catch phrases: "Oh my ghoul"/"Oh my Ra", "fanging out", "fangtastic", etc.
  • Toy lines: Freak du Chic, Ghoul Spirit, Gloom & Bloom, etc.

Offline modernmonsterhigh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Create a Monster
  • MIB signature abbey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 03:33:05 AM »
Catty's fierce rocker shattered glass makeup :) ( still looking for her btw )
And zombie shake rochelle's cracked stone look. ( also looking for her.. )
ISO Cupid and operetta's rings.

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Monster Hunter
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 09:16:42 PM »
Adding to this: Rochelle and Dayna from Shriekwrecked….

- Rochelle's boots have heels that are miniature ghouls (is it supposed to be her?)
- Dayna's 'hidden treasure' shoes, with the covers that remove to reveal stacks of gold doubloons!
- Rochelle's treasure chest purse, that I think actually looks better with Dayna

Some pirate-y wenches, matey! Ahoy!
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline nassib

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2017, 11:26:33 AM »
Everything.

I loved how the line started. The character designs, the clever shoes, the fabric prints, the naming of some characters, the diaries universe, character's research, the different type of head molds, makeup, body molds, diversity, etc.
I love going back to the dolls and finding new details every time even in simpler dolls as the CAMs!
I know we several times disagree with the staff/mattel on who should have been on certain lines, but still, the creativity for coming up with new characters is (was?) incredible.
The intention of representing other countries folklore, even if not accurate, still respectably done.
Even when coming up with new characters of the same "species", the intention of giving them different trades to make it unique.
The audacity of the line was admirable. I know some of was wanted even more audacity, but given that it was a new toy's line, with less than 10 years in the market, there are things that were unseen and unthinkable prior to this.
Like Wydowna for example. 3 pair of arms! I doubt any other line ever attempt and got away with something like this. And still the doll came out lovely! Yes, she still scares the crap out of some kids and adults, but making her a powerghoul was a very creative. And the way each of her hand has a different design is so cute.
Another example of this are of course Posea, Kala, Bonita, Luna, Gigi, SKelita, Peri & Pearl, Honey, Viperine, Avea, Gilda, Jane, Marisol, Kiyomi, Gil, Deuce, Manny, Garrot, Neighthan, Whisp, Iris, Robecca, Rochelle, Astranova, Scarah, Hoodude, the Harpy, Gorgon, Triclop & Dragon CAMs. I'm afraid that if I go on, I'll end up naming all the characters ever. Starting with Frankie. A green doll with bolts in her neck and stitches in her body and heterochromia and details on her clothing, earrings and accessories to complete her creative ensemble giving way to a unique line with witty designs, ingenious puns and enjoyable concept.
I like how they created dolls like Vandala with a prosteic leg, Finnegan with a wheel chair and others, showing disability without actually pointing it out directly.
The little Easter eggs hidden in the dolls' body, clothing or accessories. And of course the universe constructed of they bios and diaries stories.
The fact about having a universe with so multiple and rich characters and having translated around 80 of them to actual dolls (some more successfully than others of course), just blows my mind.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 12:05:31 PM by nassib »
It's hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead - Last Ride of the day - Nightwish.

Nassib09, on Flickr