collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 34
  • Dot Hidden: 2
  • Dot Users: 8
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

November 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25
26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: What's made you go "wow, that's so clever"?  (Read 2030 times)

Offline 8BrickMario

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
What's made you go "wow, that's so clever"?
« on: July 23, 2017, 09:01:29 AM »
One thing I love about this brand is the creativity it's shown. Every doll used to have something really cool and creative about it, and some still do. What's stuck out to you in terms of MH's designs and details? I've already went over some of my favorite monster design concepts they did, so I won't re-list them here.

* If I list Twyla stuff here, I'll be here forever, so just...Twyla up to Electrified. Tons of cool ideas for her theme I never would have thought up.
* Whenever Operetta doesn't wear her typical mask. The alternatives they've come up with are nicely themed to the looks they're in and do the job just as well.
* C.A. Cupid. While she really didn't fit in this franchise, what they did to creep up a cherub was impressive and it's because I like her so much that her scarcity pains me.
* Gloom Beach Frankie's shoes. Once I realized the sandal straps were like the restraining straps on Frankenstein's lab table, I was sold.
* The Sweet Screams theming. Everyone had some kind of connection to their candy motif, and the eye alterations were also fun.
* Invisi Billy's outfits. Those confusing blurred-together dual-chromatic patterns and gradient blues all make him difficult to focus on, which is totally perfect for who he is.
* Marisol Coxi's shoes. They're not even big enough for her own feet, and the soles leave the classic footprint behind wherever she walks!
* Amanita's leaf-skeleton motif. It's suitably spooky and elegant without being too obvious, and it feels more like the restrained designs of the very first dolls.
* Luna's insect-leg eyelashes and antenna eyebrows. Also, her gala train is one of the cleverer ways they've slapped a Skullette on something.
* The Great Scarrier Reef forms for the main characters. I appreciate a good pun, and vampire-squid Draculaura takes the cake.
* The heart carved into Treesa's arm. Some lovebirds probably did that while she was sleeping.
* Alivia Stein. I know a lot of people are making their own versions, but all of her "flaws" to other people are actually hilarious ideas to my mind. Too identical? The Steins probably recycled Frankie's plans! Same eyes, but reversed= lazy? Those are the matches to Frankie's eyes, the ones they couldn't find when making her! I personally think it's a brilliant way to invoke family resemblance on a manufactured being, and the rest of her design is fine by me. I wouldn't hate a different dress, though.
My photo thread:           My drawing thread:

Offline neon_jellyfish

• MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
Re: What's made you go "wow, that's so clever"?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 09:20:04 AM »
My biggest "wow, that's so clever" was when I found about the line back in 2010. Idea of Monster fashion dolls was, and still is, so genius!
Other 'wow' moments would include special bodies, basically all the shoes, Scarily Ever After Stories (and dolls) and Power Ghouls... there's a lot  :biggrin:

Offline textsfrommh

• Fearleader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 09:54:37 AM »
I always liked how they pulled off a centaur body for Avea. It was a really clever sculpt, and its tragic that Mattel never tried bringing it back. I think a small line of centaur characters would have done well in toyshops.

Other clever ideas I've loved over the years.

-The Great Scarrier Reef line, and pairing the main cast with ocean creatures that complement their monster nature, like Draculaura becoming a vampire squid.

- Astranova's hovering ability.

- Combining characters in the Freaky Fusion line.

Offline Carrehz

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Monster Hunter
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 10:12:34 AM »
Off the top of my head:

- Garden Ghouls' Toralei's wings. She's a tiger swallowtail!
- GSR Tora being based off a lionfish
- NS Jinafire (I think it's NS)-'s foo dog shoes - they're different genders!! One shoe has a female foo dog and the other has a boy one :D
- Skelita having "Katrina" carved into the back of her head
- Nefera's scar that's hidden under her outfit usually - I LOVE the little hidden details they used to do
- Viperine being the daughter of Stheno instead of a generic other gorgon, or how Wydowna's the daughter of Arachne instead of a generic spider lady.. etc, etc.. I love how in-depth and creative they got with some of the parents.
- Toralei's name, actually.. I always thought that was a clever pun ("tora" = Tiger in Japanese)
- C.A.'s ribcage wings
- Deuce's pet being called Perseus, with the only explanation behind his name being "I named him after someone Mom used to know. She doesn't find it funny". XD

I'm probably forgetting a ton XD These were just the first to come to mind.

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 11:04:03 AM »
The GSR dolls, and also SDCC Whisp.  How many dolls have a removeable waist you can exchange?  ;)

Robecca's and Elle's details.

The Freaky Fusion dolls, including the Fused main ghouls.  I know some aren't crazy about them, but I love Lagoonafire, Cleolei, and Dracubecca.  Clawvenus is ok too, LOL. 

The fact that not all the werecats (Catty, Catrine, Toralei, etc.) share the same head molds.

Most importantly, the fact that there are SO MANY head and body molds instead of the cookie cutter type! :)  MH classic had me hooked from the day I started buying them. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 04:39:19 PM by Wuvmykitties »
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline writtenhuman

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Down Undah Diva
    • View Profile
    • That Monster Mash
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 11:21:16 AM »
The variety in head molds definitely, and the variety in the makeup between doll releases in the pre-reboot.

In Zombie Shake Venus, her flocked brain design still makes me so happy. It's ridiculous. It's just such a cool little detail that was so smart to add. I also think it's really cool that you can remove Skelita's lower legs. Like, that's just so funny to me because she's a skeleton and all and I really appreciate it.

Offline Ameyal

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 12:33:34 PM »
The anems and the puns! Sure, some of them are horrible, some of them are VERY obvious, but then you have the ones that have triple or more meanings, like Ghoulia Yelps.

Offline PuffPink

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
    • PuffPink
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 02:17:25 PM »
Ok clever wise.
Frankie's hand pops off being a gimmick with dolls that have removable arms and hands, which was still fairly new in the doll industry apon release.

Clawdeen being a black werewolf and helping get past the racist barrier white parents have about buying their children black dolls.

Packaging dolls with stands. I'm not sure what this impact had but it makes them so much more display worthy. Less toss into the toy box, more put up on a shelf when you aren't playing maybe?
Outside of collectors I'm not sure what the idea was here.

Doll brushes that are seriously the best dang doll brushes I've ever had packaged with a doll.
My old barbie brushes, and current pony brushes have nothing on them.

Offline roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 03:05:27 PM »
probably the whole line..
G1 G1.. i loved and love both.. its just such a neat concept..
And the idea of people being proud of what makes them different is something
that most kids need to hear.
All the different dolls that have come to all different types of people

I loved how when they wanted a doll to have an ethnic flare they really went in..
Skelita was so odd but so pretty .. Jinn Fire was awesome..catrine was so beautiful
and DO NOT get me started on Cala Meri'
I absolutely LOVED her body mold.. Girl had some DANGEROUS curves.

And i did like some of the things they did for G2.. I dont really care much about articulation so im down with that either way. I grewup on barbie so it never really mattered to me..
But it was nice..
The things I liked about G2 was the more natural shape of the backs.. (some of the g1 girls dont look like "Hey im wearing obscenly high heels.." They look more along the lines of "OW MY BACK!!")
and another great improvement was the G2 hair.. there are still g1's whos hair makes me want to bawl.. My signature and dead tired ghoula's both had HORRIFIC hair..
so when i put my hands on that nice soft g2 hair i was sold.

Over all tho ive been saying "thats clever " about this whole line
Cant wait tosee what they do next.

Offline 8BrickMario

• Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 03:54:00 PM »
One more I just realized- I <3 Fashion Frankie's hair rooting. If it were vertical or even in a high ponytail, it'd form the right pattern of black with white side stripes that her mother rocked.

EDIT: Also, probably my favorite detail they've ever done- Elle Eedee's factory stamp being moved to break up her leg details, making it an in-universe canonical feature to add to her manufactured backstory. So clever!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:19:17 AM by 8BrickMario »

Offline brightberry

• MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 04:33:07 PM »
Robecca Steam's calf gears.  It was a surprise and so perfect.

Sig Luna's outfit, cape and bug body

Laguna's Dawn of the Dance hair and outfit

Spectra's transparent legs and hands

Venus's Green Vines

B&W Frankie (I wish they all had a b&w version)

The G1 scowling faces... vamp look kind of sold the monster part for me.

Howleen's ears! OMG so cute

Roller Skating Frankie's green lips and hair streaks

Threadarella's outfit especially her scissor shoes

Sweet Screams Draculaura's sticky shoes

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 04:17:20 PM by brightberry »

Offline 8BrickMario

• Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 10:59:04 AM »
One thing that never really registered with me- these little monster biology lessons they've snuck into some of their dolls. It's like a very subtle form of worldbuilding, that they think their monster interpretations through with such detail.

* River is a teenage reaper with translucent skin through which her bones can be seen. We know reapers to be skeletal, so this implies that reapers in this world lose their skin as they age, becoming total skeletons with maturity.
* Boogeymonsters in this world are shadow creatures, which is perfectly appropriate for the things we fear in the dark. They take on various nightmare forms with magical sand to change their appearance, which is logical and has the amusing effect of making boogeying more like an organized job than natural behavior.
* The younger siblings of Draculaura and Clawdeen/Howleen in the Monster Family line are all much more animalistic than their elders. Of course, at this age, the transformation from humanoid to bat/wolf must be harder, and so their anthropomorphic forms are less human.

And perhaps it's not so clever, but I'm glad they recognized that Medusa is the only one of her sisters with the petrifying curse, and so Viperine doesn't inherit it. Mythology is a big obsession of mine, so that accuracy was appreciated.

Offline Carrehz

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 12:21:38 PM »
And perhaps it's not so clever, but I'm glad they recognized that Medusa is the only one of her sisters with the petrifying curse, and so Viperine doesn't inherit it. Mythology is a big obsession of mine, so that accuracy was appreciated.

Yesssss, I loved that too!!!

Offline itzelery

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Monster Hunter
  • you ought to be its
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 10:59:18 PM »
The fact that Jackson has a pet chameleon because a Jackson's chameleon is a species of them. I think that's so funny and super clever and a very subtle pun and I love it! Very "blink and you'll miss it".

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 10:01:22 PM »
Gotta agree with the GSR dolls. Pretty clever :) And Gloom Beach Draculaura's SPF 500 sunscreen, love it!

Offline Listie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Down Undah Diva
  • Frankie Stein Fanatic!
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 07:07:51 AM »
Rochelle's speckled skin is like real stone.
Robecca has a heart-shaped piece of metal in the middle of her chest. It reminds me of one of the Pinocchio film adaptations, where Gipetto makes Pinocchio out of a piece of wood that had a heart carved into it.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

I love all the little nods to ancient Egypt with Cleo & Nefera. And their names, too! Nefera in particular, because her name, to me, is a mish-mash of 'Nefertiti' & 'nefarious'.

Power Ghouls Frankie has Tesla coils for the heels on her boots, which is such a cool detail! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_coil
But one of my favourite Frankie dolls ever is her Ghouls Rule doll, which is a perfect union of both her parents' styles. It has nods to her mother's hair & wedding dress, and her dad's dark colours, lapel shirt, & boots. Ahh, I love it!

Offline Carrehz

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 11:22:00 AM »
The fact that Jackson has a pet chameleon because a Jackson's chameleon is a species of them. I think that's so funny and super clever and a very subtle pun and I love it! Very "blink and you'll miss it".

Ahh, I didn't know this, that's so clever!!

Offline Mad_Malady

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • One-Eyed Ghoul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 08:11:05 PM »
Lots! That's what I love about monster high.

But the very first 3:

Skeltal carousel horses on Gooliope's circus shoes.

The ghost mallows in Twyla's coffin bean cup.

Sweet Screams Abbeys drippy net apron. I made one before getting the doll at target for $8 with cartwheel. Can't bring myself to debox her... yet?

Offline 8BrickMario

• Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 09:40:42 PM »
Gooliope and the bug pixies' accessories- since they're so huge and so tiny, respectively, human-sized objects are a different scale to them and just small/big enough for their outfits!

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Monster Hunter
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 05:35:21 AM »

Ahh, I didn't know this, that's so clever!!

I didn't either!! LOL

Another 'creature' one - that Bonita gives a shout-out to the Rosy maple moth in her color scheme and even her antennae. I was SO stoked when I learned that! And she has tiny Skullettes as her pupils!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dryocampa_rubicunda

Among my first - Jinafire's green Foo dog shoes. And I also love her black dragon boots (Fierce Rockers)!

Love all the Egyptian design and references with Cleo & Nefera, too. And the nod to Parisian architecture and Art Noveau design with Rochelle.

I'd like to say FANGs to the design teams behind MH - not only cool dolls, but artistic creations that can inspire and teach us all. CLAW-some!
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis