collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

* Calendar

September 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: Hello newbie here  (Read 452 times)

Offline AllHallowsEve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
Hello newbie here
« on: July 09, 2017, 03:32:06 PM »
Hello everyone I am new here and very recently have fallen in love with Monster High (I know ridiculously late to the party) but better late than never  :blush: I just wanted to say a quick hello :)

This seemed like the place to be with some very friendly knowledgable people. I have been looking at the dolls for a few weeks and wasn't sure whether to get any. Then I researched a lot online and was quite sad to discover that a lot of people believe the brand is nearing its end. I wanted some advice whether to begin a collection so near the end or not. Then I had to wait for approval on here and in the time between I found a number on clearance in various stores and decided so what if it's near the end, if it's deemed not cool anymore or whatever, I think the dolls are beautiful and wanted to get them purely for my enjoyment.

The new question is whether to unbox or not. I have always been an inbox collector it doesn't matter what it was, it always had to be mint in box but oddly something about these is making me wish to take them out of their boxes and display hem. I am not going to sell them so, what you guys think? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 03:46:14 PM by AllHallowsEve »

Offline neon_jellyfish

• MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Hello newbie here
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 09:20:39 AM »
Hello Eve! Welcome to Arena!

You made the right choice with starting your collection (however, expect your finances and any empty space disappear  ;) )! "The End" is, at least for now, just a rumor. MH is not doing as great as it did before, but it's not doomed either. Plus, you can get the dolls from ebay and it's not even that hard to find dolls in good condition, or even MIB (if you decide against deboxing). Also, we have Sales and Trades section here, so you can buy dolls from Arena members.

As for deboxing vs keeping in box - both ways have their charm. I debox, because I (and many others) like posing these dolls and taking a photo now and then. Some people like redressing or customizing their dolls. Other folks prefer to keep them in boxes, especially if the box has art on it or is overall pretty. I would try to debox one doll that wouldn't be hard to find MIB if I decided it was bad decision, leave others in boxes and observe myself for a few days. Either you'll enjoy having her out, having fun with posing her, etc., and in that case debox the rest of them, or it won't feel right, so get a replacement and keep others in their boxes. Or you could, for example, debox cheaper dolls to have fun with them and leave the more expensive ones in boxes. In the end, it's up to you. Have fun experimenting!  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:23:25 AM by neon_jellyfish »

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • MIB Collector
  • Full-time doll enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 10:00:56 AM »
Welcome to the Arena, AllHallowsEve!  Glad that you've joined us. :)
"I like being weird.  Weird's all I've got.  That and my sweet style."
DeviantArt | Etsy | Flickr | Instagram

Offline AllHallowsEve

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 04:05:48 AM »
Hey thank you both for the warm welcome and thank you so much neon_jellyfish for the helpful advice.  :)

I am still debating the inbox/debox situation. I am an adult collector and as I said have always kept anything in the box but something about these for the first time makes me lean heavily towards unboxing. I would like to display them but I ridiculously still am unsure. Lol. I think I will do what you suggested and maybe unbox one and see how we go.

I have been looking in many shops recently for the dolls and sadly their presence is almost non-existent in the toy stores and supermarkets near me. They had a sticker for monster high dolls reduced to just 1 in Tesco yesterday but they didn't have any left (not surprisingly) I really don't understand as any of the monster high dolls, I have come across are lovely particularly in comparison to many other dolls sitting on the shelves in their droves. As I said I decided I would still get some and hopefully be able to get them on eBay etc if they completely disappear from stores.  :|

neon_jellyfish, do you keep the boxes after you have removed the dolls?

Offline neon_jellyfish

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 05:25:05 AM »
I only keep boxes of more collector-ish releases, in my case they're Collector Edition Draculaura and Zomby Gaga. Others I sort and throw out, but I cut out box art if I like it.

Offline AllHallowsEve

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 05:06:01 PM »
Thanks again for replying. I found an elusive 1 frankie stein in Tesco today and then another different one reduced to 3.50. Tried a few stores to look for more but they were all gone. I think I may unbox them to test, sounds silly but I just know I won't win either way, if I unbox, I'll wish I hadn't and if I don't I'll think why don't I just unbox them? Lol

Offline neon_jellyfish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 01:11:06 AM »
How much are your bothered by eye wonk (when doll's eyes are printed unevenly)? Some folks find it unbearable, so they need to pick their dolls in person, some people don't mind, I personally am almost blind to it. I can't see it unless it's really strong.

If you don't mind risking getting a slightly wonky doll, you can look for them online. That's how I hunt, because we have almost none of these dolls in stores (and if we do, they're terribly expensive). Sometimes you can find dolls that aren't in stores anymore or you can stumble across sales, so if you don't need to pick your dolls in person, I'd recommend looking for them on the web.

As for deboxing dilemma, you could also try to get a pre-owned, already deboxed doll from e-bay or from someone here, that way you wouldn't have to decide for or against deboxing.

Offline AllHallowsEve

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 11:26:08 AM »
I didn't know anything about the eye wonk until I read it on here. If I'm honest I've looked at a lot of pictures to see the problem and maybe it's just me I struggle to see the issue so probably some I've got have it, I don't know but it doesn't really bother me. I am more fussed about poor paint jobs and badly done hair etc I've seen quite a few of them.

Do you paint errors bother you? :)

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Creeperific
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 11:31:15 AM »
I don't know how helpful it would be, but I prefer my dolls in box.  My sister has been the same, but she has a couple she really loves (Boo York Nefera, Gloom and Bloom Venus, and Zombie Shake Venus and Rochelle) that she has both in box and out due to clearance sales.  I have a few loose myself, but I'd rather have them in box and will probably trade or sell most of the loose ones I have if I can ever replace them with in box versions. 

The downside of collecting in box is definitely the finding them in box.  They're so rare to find as many people remove theirs that prices are very, very expensive.  It kind of seems like the best thing for you might be a mix of in and out dolls, to look pretty and to play around with.
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline AllHallowsEve

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 01:48:26 PM »
I got a EAH blondie lockes and we just unboxed it. It was pretty  ^^;
couldnt believe how many plastic bits to get it off the box. It also has two big plastic bits at the back of the head why do they do that ?
What do you guys do about them?

It feels so strange as we have always been in box collectors of anything but she looks beautiful.

The box got a bit damaged trying to get it out. Should I still keep it?

Offline neon_jellyfish

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 10:05:58 AM »
I pull out the plastic tags from dolls' heads using pliers (do it slowly and gently, and they will pop out without damaging the vinyl). I don't think that out-of-box doll would have higher value if you kept the box, so unless you like it and want to use it like a backdrop, you can throw it out.