collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 31
  • Dot Hidden: 2
  • Dot Users: 8
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

November 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25
26 27 28 29 30

Author Topic: Cleo and Ghoulia Origins 2-Pack!  (Read 11780 times)

Offline mzoeller

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Wonky Eyes
  • Ghoulia Rocks!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Cleo and Ghoulia Origins 2-Pack!
« Reply #160 on: July 31, 2017, 08:11:16 AM »
Nice!  I'm debating whether or not to take mine out of the box.   ;)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 08:20:13 AM by mzoeller »
Monsters need love too!

Offline Cleoglyphics

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Instructions Unclear
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 31, 2017, 08:32:16 AM »
Cripes? 60 bucks for shipping to the UK on top of the 40 buck dolls? That;s highway freakin robbery right there.

And not including the import duty which with high end shipping rates would mean that the $60 was factored into the value of the item, meaning the VAT on import would be calculated as if the dolls were retailed/worth $100 rather than $40, making the amount higher, probably about another $30 on top of that. So $130ish overall to order them direct from Mattel to the UK. It really isn't a benefit to have the option there :/

Sheeze Louise

Well, If any of you stateside folks can help a friend out, please do. I really do need this 2pack
Sugar, Spice and everything Feist!

Offline Claire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
  • Mess with gecko, you get a pecko
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 31, 2017, 11:19:00 AM »
Hopefully by time they're shipping again/no longer on back-order, I'll have a job, and maybe I'll be able to help a couple of people overseas out. I can't 100% promise though  ^^; But if I can, I definitely will!

Offline mzoeller

• Wonky Eyes
  • Ghoulia Rocks!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 31, 2017, 04:02:14 PM »
Off-topic but mzoeller, I love your avatar :)

Thank you Carrehz!  It was fun to make.  I love Ghoulia, and Mo, and figured this would be perfect.
Monsters need love too!

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Monster Hunter
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 01, 2017, 08:38:22 AM »
Off-topic but mzoeller, I love your avatar :)

Thank you Carrehz!  It was fun to make.  I love Ghoulia, and Mo, and figured this would be perfect.

Second that!
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MIB Forbitten Love 2-Pack
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #165 on: August 01, 2017, 05:15:20 PM »
Cripes? 60 bucks for shipping to the UK on top of the 40 buck dolls? That;s highway freakin robbery right there.

And not including the import duty which with high end shipping rates would mean that the $60 was factored into the value of the item, meaning the VAT on import would be calculated as if the dolls were retailed/worth $100 rather than $40, making the amount higher, probably about another $30 on top of that. So $130ish overall to order them direct from Mattel to the UK. It really isn't a benefit to have the option there :/

Is it better to have someone ship it to you from a domestic address/within the US?

I tried that in the past and it ended up being even worse (but Australian shipping rates from the US via USPS and UPS are both so ridiculously high it's not funny).

Offline schizogeri2001

• Stiff
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 02, 2017, 07:58:03 PM »
i cannot find anything on ebay which cost lower than $70  :shrug: (shipping not included)

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 07, 2017, 01:28:36 PM »
I planned on deboxing but I just can't because they look so nice in the box!

Offline taffeta

• Fearleader
    • View Profile
    • Britrock: The UK Home of the Misfits
« Reply #168 on: August 18, 2017, 05:31:40 AM »

Is it better to have someone ship it to you from a domestic address/within the US?

I tried that in the past and it ended up being even worse (but Australian shipping rates from the US via USPS and UPS are both so ridiculously high it's not funny).

So I received my dolls today via my friend in the US, somehow they got through and weren't charged at customs, still don't really know why but not complaining, going to assume it's because they weren't sent to me by an official company but an individual and thus were not seen as merchandise.

The box was bigger than I expected, I've never had an SDCC doll and I haven't ever seen one so I was imagining a box along the lines of normal 2 packs but it is much bigger and thicker and that added to the shipping.

Bear in mind though that $130 minimum for buying it direct from the US site to here in the UK, possibly more.

My friend bought the dolls with no shipping cost because she's in the US. She shipped it to me, the post office insisted $49.50 for the shipping because of the size so that's what it was. Total spent thus $89.49 which in GBP is 69.50.  Putting that in context with shelf prices, Lala and Dracula are currently retailing here for 44.99.

So yeah it is much more expensive to buy through a friend than it would be to be in the US or Canada. If I was there, I could have bought 2 sets, one for loose and one for MIB. But it is still a considerable amount cheaper than if I had bought through Mattel directly.

The big question is, now I have them, do I think it was worth it?

Quick answer to that is yes. This is the most I have ever outlayed on anything MH and I will keep them in their box, but the whole thing, from the outer box to the dolls themselves is beautiful. So I personally think that it was worth the outlay, even though I am a bit sore that people Stateside pay half the price.

I have also never seen a doll in a box like this, of this size and packaging in a UK shop, so I am not expecting to see this set exported like Finn etc. This definitely looks to me like I would imagine an SDCC set might look, and those never come here.

All of the above figures and such are based on shipping to the UK, though. And I chose to keep my dolls in box, but I suspect deboxed dolls would be cheaper to ship and thus cheaper overall with the rate. My friend wanted to use the $30 rate but the box was just too big to allow it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 05:33:22 AM by taffeta »
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline DogMom

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 18, 2017, 05:43:05 AM »
Question about the 'backordered until September 8' status on Mattel site - does that mean you're not able to order Ghoulia & Cleo until September 8? Or you can order now and it will ship after Sept 8?

I've never ordered anything through Mattel, and they have a $10 off coupon for giving them an email address, but it has to be used on a $50+ purchase. So I'm just trying to figure things out before I use it. Thanks!

Offline Carrehz

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Monster Hunter
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 18, 2017, 01:14:19 PM »
Congrats on getting the set, Taffeta, and that they didn't get hit by customs - it's always terrible when that happens..

Does anyone know for sure if this set was made in a limited quantity like the other SDCC dolls, or is that still unclear? I'd like to get them eventually, but it'll end up expensive as hell so it won't be for a while.. Just want to know if I should prioritize them or not, heh. If that makes sense.

Offline Claire

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 18, 2017, 01:39:48 PM »
I don't have an answer unfortunately but it does make sense Carrehz XD Better safe than sorry, I remember when Zomby Gaga came out, I saw a LOT of people were all "I'll wait til the price goes down"...But she sold out quick and the price has only gone up since D: I'm a Gaga fan so I snapped one up ASAP, and I'm glad I did XD

Offline taffeta

• Fearleader
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 18, 2017, 02:01:42 PM »
It's always a lottery with stuff like this :/ but it's worse if you have to make a decision on whether or not to pay to import it. At least with Zomby Gaga, she came out here...but the Cleo and Ghoulia set is a bigger financial commitment with more risk.
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline Claire

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 18, 2017, 03:39:52 PM »
It's always a lottery with stuff like this :/ but it's worse if you have to make a decision on whether or not to pay to import it. At least with Zomby Gaga, she came out here...but the Cleo and Ghoulia set is a bigger financial commitment with more risk.

Exactly! I wish Mattel made it easier for everyone to get this set. Yeah, they ship to some out of country places...But shipping costs MORE THAN THE SET, not to mention customs and all that! It's bad enough if you're a collector with a limited budget, but it also makes me sad to think that a little kid in say the U.K. wants the set, but their parents are probably going to say no because of shipping costs :(

Offline taffeta

• Fearleader
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 18, 2017, 04:36:26 PM »
Well, the boxes do say Adult Collector on them but you're right - companies decide who deserves a product based on geography and not on interest and sadly certain large US-based coorporations forget the rest of the world exists because they have such a big domestic market to charm. Thankfully some of that big domestic market are more helpful and help us get stuff overseas, but it would be so much nicer if that uneven playing field could be levelled. MH is already more expensive outside the US and several exclusive dolls don't get here or only in small numbers. It's like they really don't think we're worth making an effort with, but expect us to pay more for the privelege :/

In any regard, I will keep my eyes open for these at TRU here but I genuinely think this won't be a Finnegan Wake scenario.
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline DogMom

• Monster Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 18, 2017, 06:48:33 PM »
Question about the 'backordered until September 8' status on Mattel site - does that mean you're not able to order Ghoulia & Cleo until September 8? Or you can order now and it will ship after Sept 8?

I've never ordered anything through Mattel, and they have a $10 off coupon for giving them an email address, but it has to be used on a $50+ purchase. So I'm just trying to figure things out before I use it. Thanks!

Can anyone help on this? Thanks!

Offline Claire

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 18, 2017, 08:18:28 PM »
Well, the boxes do say Adult Collector on them but you're right - companies decide who deserves a product based on geography and not on interest and sadly certain large US-based coorporations forget the rest of the world exists because they have such a big domestic market to charm. Thankfully some of that big domestic market are more helpful and help us get stuff overseas, but it would be so much nicer if that uneven playing field could be levelled. MH is already more expensive outside the US and several exclusive dolls don't get here or only in small numbers. It's like they really don't think we're worth making an effort with, but expect us to pay more for the privelege :/

In any regard, I will keep my eyes open for these at TRU here but I genuinely think this won't be a Finnegan Wake scenario.

Oooo, I didn't know that! Well, I can see a parent being willing to get the set for their kid who's a MH fan, provided that the little one's proven in the past that they take good care of their toys, and maybe there's a condition that the set is a sorta 'look don't touch' thing that stays in its box and/or on the shelf.

Post Merge: August 18, 2017, 08:35:10 PM

Can anyone help on this? Thanks!

I can add it to my cart, and it gives me the forms to fill out to check out and everything, but I didn't go further than that since I don't have the money ATM to do a full check out. I'm assuming that they'll let you order now and ship it out once it's no longer on backorder? Unfortunately I don't know if they charge you now, or when it ships. In any case I start a new job soon and I'm gonna be placing an order so I make sure I get one XD I just hope I don't have bad luck and it turns out they said 'backorder', but they're actually sold out or something :( *knock on wood*
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 08:35:10 PM by Claire »

Offline EvilCupcake

• Voltageous
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 19, 2017, 12:52:14 PM »

They came.
I love them.
Now I rest.

Offline Claire

• MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 19, 2017, 10:15:37 PM »
Whenever the presentation's so awesome, I always want to buy a second set to keep in the box since I always open my dolls. Unfortunately, I lack the room (Full doll shelves ATM and I share a room with my sister), so they'd just end up in the closet where I can't see them. I do keep the boxes though since the art's beautiful.

Offline AllHallowsEve

• First Wave Dead Tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 23, 2017, 03:36:11 PM »
Why does the UK all get done there are so many cool releases of things we never get :(