collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 11
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

October 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

Author Topic: New fabrics: prewashing, stiffening, sewing?  (Read 2023 times)

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
New fabrics: prewashing, stiffening, sewing?
« on: May 31, 2017, 03:02:22 PM »
When using new fabrics:

1) Do you always prewash? Or only certain fabrics? How do you decide?

2) When prewashing washes all the sizing/stiffness out (like with cottons), do you use something to put some stiffness back, like spray starch with ironing? Is that safe to use with doll clothes on plastic dolls?

3) Do you use tissue paper or similar when machine sewing, so tiny bits don't go into the feed dogs?

Thank you!

"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline True

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Fangtastic
  • CAM Lover
    • View Profile
Re: New fabrics: prewashing, stiffening, sewing?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 05:06:20 PM »
I prewash, but I only use flannel/terry/cottons the most, since my experience is quilting and clothing. So I cant say about any other types of fabric.

I prewash on a cold setting with a small amount of detergent. I feel like this helps prevent any "surprises" down the road when someone washes something again, the fabric has already been stressed and won't shrink or stretch in odd ways later? if that makes sense lol
personally I dont starch anything, so I have no idea how that would react with a doll down the road. I just iron in any folds before i start to sew so they're more established.

If you have a serg option on your machine, its nice to do that to the raw edges of fabrics before you wash it, it will fray a LOT.

Last, I dont use tissue paper while sewing, but I know some people who do. I think its a personal preference. I personally clean out my machine after each use (since i dont use it regularly, this isn't as bad as it sounds lol)

Also just a disclaimer, I am not a professional seamstress or anything, I hobby sew as needed so nothing I say is "how it is" its just what I'v learned along the way and what works for me. :) 
:skel:

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 06:51:10 AM »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

True, thanks for the info! I don't have a serger, but I can zigzag and maybe that'll help. Sometimes I like a raw edge but yeah, prewashing can mangle that yardage something fierce. I also have a bunch of lingerie and sweater mesh washing bags, I can use those. Awesome!

Offline Shahaila

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • MIB Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 08:09:02 AM »
I never pre-wash  and I do not use a machine :blush:  MH and EAH clothes are so tiny.  I do want to learn to use a machine for hem purposes.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:10:58 AM by Shahaila »
"I have no particular talent,
I am passionately inquisitive" Albert Einstein

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 08:56:26 AM »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Shahaila, have you ever had any problems with dye transfer to the dolls from fabrics? Or do you line them or just change around everyone's outfit often enough it's not an issue?

Machine sewing for hems, yes! And easy enough, once you get the basics down. For that, you could even get an intro level Singer from Target or maybe even somewhere like Bed Bath & Beyond (do they sell basic sewing machines?!?!) where you can get a good coupon.

Garage and estate sales are also an option, but I'd recommend taking one of those in for a tune-up and oiling - to avoid a lot of frustration of working with a poorly adjusted machine.

Offline Shahaila

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • MIB Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 09:26:06 AM »
Shahaila, have you ever had any problems with dye transfer to the dolls from fabrics? Or do you line them or just change around everyone's outfit often enough it's not an issue?
Personally I have never had a problem to date ..... that does not mean I might not down the road, but as of yet no problems with that.

My mom has a machine she does not use, I just need to learn how to use it.  If I do learn, then it is mine.  It is older than Methuselah, but for what I need it for (hemming doll clothes) who cares how old it is LOL.
"I have no particular talent,
I am passionately inquisitive" Albert Einstein

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 09:40:50 AM »
I have a Singer that I've had for YEARS, bought it secondhand. I love it. It's not fancy, but it's sturdy and sews well.

Sometimes JoAnn has sewing classes….

Offline True

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Fangtastic
  • CAM Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 11:13:50 AM »
I learned how to sew on a pretty low end machine (still did what it needed and was less intimidating)
Then, the first project I ever did on my own was a full size quilt, I didnt have my own machine yet and my moms was broken, so I used my aunts machine... It was an ancient old foot pedal machine that had been converted to electric. xD (you know the heavy as heck ones built right into a table!? lol)

well every machine iv used since as seemed like a cadillac compared to that :p
:skel:

Offline tokoz

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Home Ick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 12:24:29 PM »
Prewashing does several things.

First: it removes any sizing or chemicals used to make the fabric look good and feel appealing on the bolt. Because that stuff is just gross.  :P

Second: it removes any dirt or oils that might be on the fabric from its time in transit, in the factory, or at the store (because you don't know how many oily greasy humans have had their grubby mitts all over that piece before you got to it. Additionally, I used to work in a fabric store, and bolts would come to us from the factory with the wildest things in them -- dead bugs, a live spider once, candy wrappers, and so many dirty shoe prints!)

Third: as mentioned above, it preshrinks the fabric so you don't have as many surprises down the road. There's nothing worse than making a piece and then having it go all weird and unusable  as soon as it gets wet.

Prewashing can sometimes help discharge excess dye in a fabric, which can help avoid staining -- or at the very least it can let you know which fabrics are prone to bleeding.

The only fabrics I WOULDN'T prewash are ones with a pile, like faux fur or quality velvet (crushed polyester panne is fine to wash). They CAN be washed, carefully, but it does change their feel and they require some extra steps afterwards to restore the pile. I'd also be very wary about washing pieces that are vintage and made of more than one kind of fiber and/or early polyesters and synthetics (early synthetics are just WEIRD and can shrink at different rates than the other fibers they're mixed with)

I prewash material on the highest temperature it will tolerate (and if you're unsure what that is, most washing instructions can be found online with a google search, or as noted above, a cold water wash is the safe route) with my regular laundry detergent on the settings recommended for the material. Drying is a different story, and I'll usually air-dry most of my fabrics unless I know for sure it's a fiber that can handle the dryer. If I'm preparing fabric for dying, i'll add a smidge of dishwashing liquid (like Palmolive) to help cut any grease.

If i'm worried about fraying on a piece, i'll run it through my serger before washing. A quick zigzag along the non-selvage edges of the piece of material will do the same thing. And if i'm REALLY worried about a delicate fabric, I'll hand wash it in my sink with baby shampoo, use a few towels to press out the excess water, and dry it flat on my bed.

While I am a big proponent of ironing your fabrics after washing them (and then again before you cut pieces, and then again again after sewing major seams and hems... ;) ), starching isn't really necessary unless you like the look or the feel of it. Starching is a good idea on things like pleated skirts or button down shirts where crispness matters. I don't think the dolls would have a problem with starch, as it's a pretty basic compound. Using the natural stuff on things placed in long-term storage can attract insects who will eat your delicious starch-covered fabric but they leave plastics pretty much alone to my knowledge.

I've always had trouble using tissue paper in my machines (mostly I end up pulling the stitching out trying to remove the paper afterwards!), but it can help especially with squirrelly fabric that likes to move around. Otherwise, what you can do is cut your seam allowances larger to give the feed dogs more to grab, then trim them down to dolly size after you've sewn the seam. Or do hand sewing on the intricate bits. I'll do that on human-sized clothing I make, just hand sew the bits that are tough to get through my machine.

Offline Wuvmykitties

• Crazy cat and doll lady
  • Assistant Ghouls
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • Sister Pack
  • Bring me your fakies, your clones, your knockoffs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 05:28:00 PM »
It depends.  If the fabric is from a piece of clothing, unless it still has the tags, chances are it's already been washed at least once, so no need to prewash.  I don't typically prewash new fabric but I should. 

If you decide to use printable fabric sheets, there are two things I recommend:
1) Get the colorfast sheets.  They will hold up better when washing.
2) DO NOT use fabric softener on them. It will make the colors dingy and ugly.

About tissue paper - I would never use that in my sewing machine.  Too much bother for me, LOL.  I hand sew a lot of things anyway, so no problem there.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 05:30:02 PM by Wuvmykitties »
love & prayers, Lynda :)
Psalm 37:4

Offline desdisques

• Fashion Pack
  • Tall doll lover
    • View Profile
    • Dollulus
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 05:32:40 PM »
1) Do you always prewash? Or only certain fabrics? How do you decide?
Yes almost always, if it is very delicate I will hand wash it. The only thing I wouldn't wash is something that could be damaged by washing it, and that's pretty rare.

2) When prewashing washes all the sizing/stiffness out (like with cottons), do you use something to put some stiffness back, like spray starch with ironing? Is that safe to use with doll clothes on plastic dolls? I always iron my fabric after washing and I always use starch for cottons, but I don't always use it for synthetics. I've never had it effect a doll.

3) Do you use tissue paper or similar when machine sewing, so tiny bits don't go into the feed dogs? I know some people do but I personally don't. I think Solvy makes a nice water soluble material that works well in small areas. Generally my machine doesn't eat the fabric too much. Sometimes I think the foot can effect this too. I always use a clear plastic zig-zag foot.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 10:19:12 AM »
If it's a new fabric that I just bought (versus recycling old clothing that's already been washed umpteen times), and if it's a dark or saturated color (reds, black, dark purples and blues, etc.) then yes, I always pre-wash.  Mostly to reduce the risk of staining.

I generally don't iron a piece until it's completed; and I don't use starch—never had the need to.

I hand-sew so I can't answer that last question.

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+193)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 01:07:44 PM »
I don't pre-wash my fabrics for doll clothes. But I do color fast them after I've cut all the pieces out if it's a dark color or anything that I think might stain. I then iron all the pieces once they're dry. Actually, even if I don't color fast the fabric, I still tend to iron all the pattern pieces once they're cut out and fray-checked. Besides removing wrinkles, having the pieces ironed helps make it easier to line up pattern pieces. Right now I do all my sewing by hand, but I'd eventually like to learn to use the machine, at least to do hems. But everytime my mom uses the machine, she spends a lot of time swearing at it, so it's making me think it's not that easy.  ^^;

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 04:42:22 PM »
But everytime my mom uses the machine, she spends a lot of time swearing at it, so it's making me think it's not that easy.  ^^;

:haha:  That cracked me up!

I used a machine one time.  ...I ended up breaking it and have never attempted to use a machine again. :blink:

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 06:04:13 AM »
I don't pre-wash my fabrics for doll clothes. But I do color fast them after I've cut all the pieces out if it's a dark color or anything that I think might stain. I then iron all the pieces once they're dry. Actually, even if I don't color fast the fabric, I still tend to iron all the pattern pieces once they're cut out and fray-checked. Besides removing wrinkles, having the pieces ironed helps make it easier to line up pattern pieces. Right now I do all my sewing by hand, but I'd eventually like to learn to use the machine, at least to do hems. But everytime my mom uses the machine, she spends a lot of time swearing at it, so it's making me think it's not that easy.  ^^;

You should put a Swear Jar by your mom's sewing machine - get some dollie money that way!!

What method do you use for color fasting? Vinegar soak? Thanks!

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2017, 09:56:10 AM »

What method do you use for color fasting? Vinegar soak? Thanks!

DGRequiem has a great tutorial for color-fasting on her website: http://requiemart.com/blog/?s=Color+fasting
And yes, you use a mix of vinegar, salt, and water.