collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

* Calendar

January 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

Author Topic: First carboot sale dolls this year...  (Read 1173 times)

Offline taffeta

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fearleader
    • View Profile
    • Britrock: The UK Home of the Misfits
First carboot sale dolls this year...
« on: May 29, 2017, 04:44:24 AM »
Having been out of the country till the end of last month, this is the first time I've been out to a second hand sale this year. This is one of my favourite sales, though, and it was a good day today.
There were quite a lot of dolls around today, but I was quite selective and this is who I brought home with me.

The Boo York Cleo I am particularly happy with, as I wanted her when she was out before, but I wasn't paying 25+ for a set with her and a Deuce doll I didn't want. She's in good shape and she cost me only 4.

I seem to be collecting all the Haunted dolls. I sort of began randomly with them because I had Kiyomi and I really liked Rochelle, but somehow I think now I'm only missing Twyla and Clawdeen. River is really pretty. I love her colours. I am not sure I'd seen her in person before.

Can someone confirm which version of Scarah that is? I am thinking she's I <3 Fashion, maybe, from her dress, but I'm not sure?

I don't really like Deuce, because I like brushable hair dolls, but something about this Deuce's outfit looked off to me. Am I mad or is he wearing some of Holt's clothing..?

I don't have Holt (I don't really like him either, see above) but I do have the original Jackson and if it is Holt's clothing, I would be so tempted to make him wear it...

In any case, many accessories included, stands with several and all hands and limbs intact. Can't complain at all.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 04:46:29 AM by taffeta »
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline Konzern

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Beast Friends
    • View Profile
Re: First carboot sale dolls this year...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 06:31:35 AM »
I believe that is both I Heart Fashion Scarah, and that Deuce is wearing Holt's shirt, pants, and jacket, but his own Scaris shoes.  Awesome find!
Sing with me a song of conquest and fate
The black pillar cracks beneath its weight
Night breaks through the day, hard as a stone
Lost in thoughts all alone

Offline Morieris

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • MIB Collector
  • you're just jealous because I'm the chosen one
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 06:56:39 AM »
I do like that stylish ensemble Deuce is wearing XD nice find.

Offline taffeta

• Fearleader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 07:10:36 AM »
I do like that stylish ensemble Deuce is wearing XD nice find.

I feel like he's having some kind of identity crisis, which is ironic considering whose clothing he's wearing....

Thanks for the confirm, Konzern! Most of my I <3 Fashion dolls live here in London because TRU is here, so I had put her with them thinking that she might be, but it's nice to have a confirmation. She has nothing of her own except her dress, her shoes are Wydowna's, but they actually suit her so she's keeping them until I can get her something of her own. I have never been a fan of Scarah, but I haven't seen this version before and I have to admit, she's won me over. She's really very pretty O.o.

Does anyone know then which Deuce this is? Should I assume he's Scaris if those are Scaris shoes? The stall that had him was a dealer, not a child's home or collector so there's really no way to tell from the other dolls on the stall. He was the only guy, most of the others were FCA or the dolls in their fancy outfits from the Ghouls Rule feature film.
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline Konzern

• Beast Friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 07:31:11 AM »
You're wlecome :)  I love that Scarah the most, I guess because she's the closest we'll get to SDCC Scarah.  With Deuce, I'm not sure about his BYBY one, but I know his basic has a gray hoop earring while Scaris has black.  If he's missing his earring, basic would possibly have elastic hips.  I would guess Scaris because of the shoes, though.

Offline taffeta

• Fearleader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 07:36:45 AM »
If he's missing his earring, basic would possibly have elastic hips.  I would guess Scaris because of the shoes, though.
I guess I will have to aggravate his identity crisis by undressing him then...I haven't decided to keep him yet (though FCA Cleo seems to be getting closer on the desk) but I feel I ought to know which line he belongs to. He didn't come from the same table as the BYBY Cleo so it literally could be any Deuce as far as I am concerned.

Edit: So he's half undressed, FCA Cleo is so scandalised she's fallen over, but I can report he does NOT have elasticated hips, and he has a black earring. With the shoes added to the mix, I am going to guess he probably is Scaris Deuce. Thanks for the help :D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 07:41:31 AM by taffeta »
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline Konzern

• Beast Friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 07:55:57 AM »
If he had come with BYBY Cleo, I'd say he belonged with her.  Lol at FCA Cleo, though!  Forgot BYBY Deuce had the slicked over snakes, I think Mansters Deuce might have a dark earring as well, I can't get to mine to be sure, but he's most likely Scaris since he has the Scaris shoes.

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Monster Hunter
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 08:11:25 AM »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

taffeta, what an awesome haul! Congrats! Is a carboot sale what we in the US would call a flea market?
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline taffeta

• Fearleader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 08:29:39 AM »
The BYBY and I think the Mansters Deuce were on the table where I got BYBY Cleo (I assume the latter as there was also a very new looking Gil there, too) but I didn't look at them closely because I wasn't looking for Deuce. I think that Scaris is the most likely, although being that his whole other outfit got changed, it's not a guarantee. I have a few Scaris dolls and I don't think any of them have the old type of hips. The problem with a doll like Deuce is they all look the same to me, snakewise!

I think I might have to keep him, as I think separating him and FCA Cleo now might be cruel. I will clean him up and I guess we'll see, but if he's staying, I'll have to find him something to wear. He can't keep wearing Holt stuff, it looks totally wrong on him!

@DogMum - Thank you! Yeah, pretty much. In the UK, we call the back of a car, a boot, rather than a trunk, so a car boot sale is essentially selling out of the back of the car. What normally happens is people go park up in a field and put up trestle tables and sell from them. This one I went to today is one of the big ones I can get to from London. Carboot sales in the city are often lacking the cars, and people bring stuff in cases and sell on mats or tables in school playgrounds and such, but the best sales are always the ones in big fields, like today.

I guess you can tell I grew up in the country ;)
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline Konzern

• Beast Friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 08:46:39 AM »
Deuce is really hard to tell apart, other than the snakes.  Which is why I go by earrings, but I never noticed Mansters had the same or at least similar as Scaris.  Scaris, Basic, and Mansters are all standing in a "snakehawk" while Boo York and Dawn of the Dance have the snakes slicked over to one side.  Dance the Fright Away Deuce has a completely different build. 

Honestly, Gil's the harder one to tell apart, at least Deuce has some indication of which he is by the snakes! 

Aw, Cleo gets to keep her boyfriend!

Offline taffeta

• Fearleader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 09:02:00 AM »

Aw, Cleo gets to keep her boyfriend!

I guess I'm a sucker for a happy ending ;)

Snakehawk. I like that.

I looked at some online pictures and I genuinely cannot tell the difference between Scaris and Manster Deuce, to the point I wonder cynically if the Manster pack was an excuse to offload unused Scaris mould Deuce heads...is that too cynical?
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline Konzern

• Beast Friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 09:04:54 AM »
Sounds like a cute ending, after he gets new clothes. :lol:

It's about the only way I can describe it, but hey it works!  You know, I never really thought about that, I wouldn't be surprised.  We saw so many Scaris Deuce dolls.  I figured that was why he and Gil tend to sit, at least here.  They are really hard to tell apart. 

Offline taffeta

• Fearleader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 09:17:39 AM »
Sounds like a cute ending, after he gets new clothes. :lol:

If he doesn't get new clothes, it might be a rather different ending, so I will make that a priority...

The mansters are shelf sitting in TRU here too. Mind you, my TRU is insane, in that it pulls out stuff from 2011 on occasion. So it wouldn't surprise me to go there one week and find Scaris dolls, to be honest.
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline dfotw

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • MIB Signature Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 09:38:50 AM »
Great finds! That Scarah and Billy! *grabby hands*

Offline Konzern

• Beast Friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 10:03:59 AM »
Wow, that's awesome, actually!  I've only found really old things once or twice, ha, so that would be a surprise.  Here's hoping he can find some clothes, then!

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Monster Hunter
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 11:06:58 AM »
@DogMum - Thank you! Yeah, pretty much. In the UK, we call the back of a car, a boot, rather than a trunk, so a car boot sale is essentially selling out of the back of the car. What normally happens is people go park up in a field and put up trestle tables and sell from them. This one I went to today is one of the big ones I can get to from London. Carboot sales in the city are often lacking the cars, and people bring stuff in cases and sell on mats or tables in school playgrounds and such, but the best sales are always the ones in big fields, like today.

I guess you can tell I grew up in the country ;)

LOL - you called me DogMum!! Wheeeee!!!

I did know a 'boot' meant the back compartment of a car, lol! Thank you though for explaining it. But what then do you call a large piece of footwear, like Dr. Martens?

How cool about the sales - I live in a large city too (Chicago) and we don't have many field sales in my area (nor fields) - but maybe I should check out some in the country. Would give me an excuse to go driving out in the open spaces, something I don't do enough of. 

Re your River - I had a similar experience with GSR Clawdeen - never really liked her in the box/on the shelf, and it was only after I got one, opened the box, and really LOOKED at all the details, that I realized how pretty she was.

Many congrats on your good fortune!!
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline taffeta

• Fearleader
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2017, 01:58:57 PM »
Great finds! That Scarah and Billy! *grabby hands*

I thought it sort of fitting to find them together...xD Though Billy looks a bit folorn on the desk as Scarah is now too busy hanging out with her ghoulfriends...

Quote from: Konzern
Wow, that's awesome, actually!  I've only found really old things once or twice, ha, so that would be a surprise.
No kidding. Right now it has the new reboot dolls and at the same time it has Freaky Fusion dolls. Pretty much all of them, I think. Last autumn I unearthed the I <3 Fashion Venus doll and the Gloom and Bloom Venus. They also had a whole lot of Ghouls' Night Out dolls on mega discount (I picked up Spectra and Lagoona :D)...and there was one of the older Abbey dolls, too. I think Ghouls Rule. The Slo Mo and Ghoulia set is still there. They did have for a long while the Rochelle/Garott (I always think his name is a cross between carrot and garotte, lol) set was there up until about January this year, too - though it was so expensive I never did buy it. Oh, and there was a really old Operetta for a while - not the sig doll. I think it might have been Dot Dead Gorgeous?

The cost is often the downside. It takes a lot for them to discount dolls and they don't label and shelve them very accurately sometimes so you have to hunt for the right price code. Often they don't price dolls from the same set the same price, either. Right now the discount doll is Haunted Clawdeen. But these dolls are all right alongside Electrified dolls :/ It's really so weird. Cool, because you never know what will appear, but weird.
Quote from: DogMOM
LOL - you called me DogMum!! Wheeeee!!!

I did know a 'boot' meant the back compartment of a car, lol! Thank you though for explaining it. But what then do you call a large piece of footwear, like Dr. Martens?

Haha LOL sorry, cultural influence! Though in the city I was born, it's actually not uncommon to use/spell it "Mom", I didn't grow up there, so I am strictly a "Mum" girl!

We use the word boot for those as well. For a specific kind of shoe. Just like I guess you call a storage chest and an elephant's nose a trunk, but the car back compartment gets the word as well. Recycled vocab for the win. HOWEVER there is a cute element to our naming strategy. The front of the car, the bit you lift to see the engine, we call a "bonnet", and the rear one we call the "boot". Cars are traditionally female, so I can only imagine that the early car builders created this metaphor of a woman, with bonnet and boots. It's just stuck.

The irony for me is that now I live in London, I can get to the country to such sales because transport systems here are good (I don't drive). When I go home to see my folks, who live in a rural county, the transport is so bad I can't go to any local sales in fields. When I was a child, we had one we could walk to, but it closed when they used the field to build a hospice. So it's nice to have this one, even if I only go a few times a year.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 02:02:35 PM by taffeta »
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Online Ameyal

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2017, 07:29:11 PM »
To be fair, all releases of Deuce have had different sunglasess hahaha
But yeah, I can't differentiate him, Gil or Heat... Holt at least has wrist and the tattoo.

Great hauls! Deuce looks odd in Holt's clothes :p
And Porter is wearing a Deuce shirt too!

Offline taffeta

• Fearleader
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2017, 11:07:55 PM »

Great hauls! Deuce looks odd in Holt's clothes :p
And Porter is wearing a Deuce shirt too!
Never noticed that. This is becoming an odd game of musical shirts. And I thought it was girls who were meant to fuss over each other's clothing.
我が生きる場所は
生と死の狭間

Offline pinkbird

• Fangtastic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2017, 04:05:10 AM »
Eee, River Styxx! I'm warming up to some dolls I didn't really like before, and River is one of them. Would definitely buy one if I ever saw that in person.

And how cute, you found two couples. :)