collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 16
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

April 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
[21] 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

Author Topic: Mishaps and Miscalculations Mid-project  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
Mishaps and Miscalculations Mid-project
« on: May 22, 2017, 07:15:19 PM »
So I curled Venus' hair. My initial concerns were that her hair wouldn't take a curl at all, because a) new hair type that I was experimenting with and b) very stiff, very stubborn ends, and couldn't get it to stay on a straw, so resorted to pipe-cleaners.

Venus Curling by Lhia, on Flickr

Turns out, my fears were completely unjustified.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Her hair curls just fine. Now I just have to figure out how to get it to stop defying gravity.

Have you had any customs or WIP situations go hilariously awry from where you thought they'd be?

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
Re: Mishaps and Miscalculations Mid-project
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 08:26:47 PM »

Her hair curls just fine. Now I just have to figure out how to get it to stop defying gravity.

Have you had any customs or WIP situations go hilariously awry from where you thought they'd be?

[/quote][/spoiler]

My word. That's, um, curly. Can you re-curl using something thicker so you get ringlets instead of corkscrews?

No hilariously awry situations that I can think of, but perhaps something will pop into my head after a good night's sleep.   :snore:
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline TheQueenofKawaii

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • One-Eyed Ghoul
    • View Profile
    • TQoK Studio
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 08:34:04 PM »
Oh wow, she's got some serious 80's hair.  It's actually pretty dang cool.
Check out my etsy shop for cute custom doll outfits.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TQoKStudio

Offline Lhianneth

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 08:54:25 PM »
I will definitely be using the technique on other dolls (just not this one). ^^;

I wanted a bit of wave, and figured with the stubborn nature of the hair, it would have a hard time curling. LITTLE DID I KNOW that it would in fact curl so ridiculously well.

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 09:20:05 PM »
Oh wow, she's got some serious 80's hair.  It's actually pretty dang cool.

That could also be 70s disco hair!  lol
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline neon_jellyfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 02:59:57 AM »
What type of hair did you use? It has sort of Cyndi Lauper quality to it. I think Venus looks gorgeous!

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 08:45:43 AM »
Not a doll custom, but back when I used to customize MLPs I ended up melting a pony's feet into tiny toe-like puddles. XD

She had a massive amount of Sculpey on her that was taking longer-than-usual to cure in the oven.  So long, in fact, that the pony's feet melted to the baking sheet that she was standing on. ^^;
Luckily, it was an easy fix and I didn't have to chuck the pony and start over.

Offline retrodollsus

• Vampire Slayer
    • View Profile
    • Retro Dolls US
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 09:15:59 AM »
take a flat iron (up to 360-400 degrees Fahrenheit) and it will straighten right out- for a slight wave, I'd suggest small braids and dip in boiling water like you did for the perm, allow to dry overnight and voila! wavy hair. :)

Post Merge: May 23, 2017, 09:24:45 AM

Also in stead of pipecleaner- which can get extremely messy and tangle easily- cut up small sections of straws, put a paper towel between the hair and the straw, wrap around and secure with bobby pins and you'll get a lovely ringlet. I usually use clips like this- http://www.ebay.com/itm/50pcs-Silver-Snap-Hair-Clips-Pins-Blanks-Duckbill-Clips-DIY-Hair-Bow-35mm-/151792807046?hash=item23578e6c86:g:czQAAOSwyQtV3SQV
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 09:24:45 AM by retrodollsus »

Offline Lhianneth

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 06:51:32 PM »
take a flat iron (up to 360-400 degrees Fahrenheit) and it will straighten right out- for a slight wave, I'd suggest small braids and dip in boiling water like you did for the perm, allow to dry overnight and voila! wavy hair. :)

Post Merge: May 23, 2017, 09:24:45 AM

Also in stead of pipecleaner- which can get extremely messy and tangle easily- cut up small sections of straws, put a paper towel between the hair and the straw, wrap around and secure with bobby pins and you'll get a lovely ringlet. I usually use clips like this- http://www.ebay.com/itm/50pcs-Silver-Snap-Hair-Clips-Pins-Blanks-Duckbill-Clips-DIY-Hair-Bow-35mm-/151792807046?hash=item23578e6c86:g:czQAAOSwyQtV3SQV

Did a bit of warm water to loosen up the crazier curls, but it's still defying gravity, so definitely going to have to straighten it entirely, then start over again.

As for the straws ...

I actually did those first. I'm beginning to think that the hair being listed as doll grade instead of human wig grade may be inaccurate. It boils flat on thatching, but the ends were so stiff they tore through both paper towel and coffee filters when I tried to use the straw method. I resorted to pipe cleaners with paper towel in the end, because the flexibility made it possible to kind of twist the ends into place instead of trying to smooth them out.

I may give it a go with thicker straws if I can find any. Or small plastic hair rollers I've had lying around. A larger round surface might make it easier to get the hair to roll. Hmm.

Not a doll custom, but back when I used to customize MLPs I ended up melting a pony's feet into tiny toe-like puddles. XD

She had a massive amount of Sculpey on her that was taking longer-than-usual to cure in the oven.  So long, in fact, that the pony's feet melted to the baking sheet that she was standing on. ^^;

I had no idea ponies went into the oven with the Sculpey for customs. I figured it was done separately and then gaps were sealed on with air-dry clay or something. Yeesh. D:

How did you get her feet off?!

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 06:35:39 AM »

I had no idea ponies went into the oven with the Sculpey for customs. I figured it was done separately and then gaps were sealed on with air-dry clay or something. Yeesh. D:

How did you get her feet off?!

Yeah as long as you keep the oven temperature super, super low it isn't usually a problem.  But because I had to bake this particular custom for much longer than usual (and now that I think about it, I might not have had the temperature set properly ^^;), she didn't fare as well as my other customs.  Only one that this ever happened to, too.  Needless to say I did switch to no-bake Apoxie Sculpt shortly after this incident. LOL

Her feet actually came off of the baking sheet pretty easily.  I was able to pop her right off—non-stick pony I guess. lol
Then I used an Exact-O knife to trim off her new toe flaps. XD

Offline retrodollsus

• Vampire Slayer
    • View Profile
    • Retro Dolls US
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 05:58:16 PM »
If you have a curling iron with a 1/6th inch rod, you can use that to curl the hair instead of boil perming, just follow the direction of the curl when releasing. I'll try to do a tutorial on it next week when things slow down for me, just had a death in the family.  :(

Here's an example of the Mojito Monofiber I carry that has been curled with the straw method

Offline Lhianneth

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 06:42:42 PM »
If you have a curling iron with a 1/6th inch rod, you can use that to curl the hair instead of boil perming, just follow the direction of the curl when releasing. I'll try to do a tutorial on it next week when things slow down for me, just had a death in the family.  :(

Here's an example of the Mojito Monofiber I carry that has been curled with the straw method
My condolences on your loss. :(

I'll look into a curling iron (I've used that on a wig before, so I know you have to remove the hair from the heat for the curl to set, or it just falls out).

I'll give bigger straws a go and see how it fairs. The straws I have are small, like ... smaller than fast food restaurant straws. So I'll get some wider ones to give a go.

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 07:13:38 AM »
Let's keep this thread on-topic.  Please remember that this is a discussion about customization mishaps, not hair-styling tips.  Thank you.

Offline retrodollsus

• Vampire Slayer
    • View Profile
    • Retro Dolls US
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 05:33:37 PM »
my apologies- I thought she was asking for help. Wasn't trying to derail the conversation, only trying to be helpful.

and Thank-you Lhianneth

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Dawn of the Dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 10:36:39 AM »
No problem.  Just a misunderstanding. :)

Offline Ameyal

• Sister Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 12:44:45 PM »
Since I'm a very VERY novice customizer, the only trouble I have had is when I want to do a body swap and the bodies end up being incompatible with the heads, or need some modifying to be compatible(Like Equestria Girls heads on MH bodies)

Offline danbo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • MIB Signature Lagoona
  • グレートですよ。
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 09:44:19 AM »
I'm in love with that Venus' hair! :D

As for customs gone awry... I bought a Draculaura to use the body for something, and the head for something else. Tried to remove the head to dehair her and snapped the neck peg off inside. Ended up just tossing the body a few months later, sans hands. Didn't see a reason to keep it and the broken peg around, lol.

Offline Lhianneth

• Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 09:21:27 PM »

As for customs gone awry... I bought a Draculaura to use the body for something, and the head for something else. Tried to remove the head to dehair her and snapped the neck peg off inside. Ended up just tossing the body a few months later, sans hands. Didn't see a reason to keep it and the broken peg around, lol.

That's my greatest fear when switching heads. I've not had it happen yet, but one of the Rochelle's I'm working on was close. :(

Offline danbo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • MIB Signature Lagoona
  • グレートですよ。
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2017, 09:52:49 PM »

That's my greatest fear when switching heads. I've not had it happen yet, but one of the Rochelle's I'm working on was close. :(

Every time I have to tug a little to get the head off and feel some resistance, I think "it's happening again!" and almost give up.

Offline snowblossum

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2017, 07:02:47 AM »
Oh dear Venus hair is like a plant that went hair wire!  ONce years ago I curled and style a doll with a particular curly style,  a non MH or EAH. I then boiled washed the hair and the hair nearly melted! So I started doing hot tap water I stead on hair I am not completely sure of hair type.