collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 53
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Calendar

December 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

Author Topic: accessory painting questions  (Read 1259 times)

Offline desdisques

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Fashion Pack
  • Tall doll lover
    • View Profile
    • Dollulus
accessory painting questions
« on: May 17, 2017, 12:57:30 PM »
I want to try painting some accessories. I have a few questions if anyone can answer. If you have the brand name of the supplies you prefer, that helps also!

Do you prime the plastic with something before painting?
What medium do you use? Acrylic paints? pastels maybe?
What do you use as a final sealant?
Will the paint rub off on my doll and stain my doll?
will the paint scratch or rub off?
What types of brushes or tools do you use?
Do you have any links to share on this subject?
any other tips?

Offline DogMom

• MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
Re: accessory painting questions
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 01:51:56 PM »
Great thread topic and Qs!

So I don't yet have real life experience to share, as I have scads of plastic furniture and stuff I've been wanting to get to. But here are some links:

Furniture, blogger mentions supply brands and tools:
http://insidethebarbiecraftroom.blogspot.com/2015/01/how-to-repaint-barbie-furniture-basics.html?m=1

EAH accessories, blogger mentions techniques:
http://foreveryoungcraftsfordolls.blogspot.com/2013/07/how-to-make-maddie-hatter-even-cuter.html?m=1

MH accessories, these are GORGEOUS! Mostly for inspiration, some mentions of techniques and also close-ups. Also, poke around, the blogger seems to have a bunch of similar painted accessory posts:
https://hat-plays-dolls.dreamwidth.org/3828.html

"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spooktacular
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 08:38:07 PM »
Yep. I spray with MSC same as doll heads or bodies. I wash everything with dish soap first, dry with a lint-free cloth I have, and then let air-dry 24 hours before spraying.

Mostly acrylic paints (Liquitex Basics, Metallics, etc.), but also a bit of watercolour pencils (Derwent, Faber-Castell and Prismacolor) and chalk pastel (this varies, I've got a bunch of really old sets that I use, and they're not particular brands except for a few Prismacolor ones) for subtle details. I recommend artist grade acrylics rather than craft paints. You get better coverage for your buck. You'll want to thin them so you don't get gloopy details in all of the accessories' mouldings, so using higher-pigment paints is better.

What do you use as a final sealant?
A couple of coats of MSC for matte details, Tamiya gloss varnish for glossy/translucent finishes. I've used glitter and just the gloss coat on a few pairs of translucent shoes. I can't remember who posted that tip (Maybe Dirili?), but it works a treat to make shoes look glassy and clear.

Monster Exchange Lagoona Shoes - Custom Repaint by Lhia, on Flickr

Above is an example of the gloss coat I mentioned. These got a coat of MSC, but because it fogged them, I removed it and started over. They had the flowers stripped and repainted to highlight the face in the centre of the blossoms, then were coated inside and out with two layers of Tamiya gloss.

I haven't had that problem yet, but I don't paint the interiors of the shoes unless it's for the glossing effect (gloss goes inside and out to render them transparent).

Just like with any custom work, it can, yes. I've not had any issues yet, however.

Various small brushes, make-up sponges, and a sieve (for glitter spreading).

Nope! The process I use is pretty similar to what I do for customs in general.

any other tips?
I've put together a "stand" for shoes while they're drying, using a cardboard box and kebab skewers. I'm not sure how it would work for other accessories (I usually let them dry flat), but it keeps them from getting dusty or smudged, and also makes a good set-up for spraying them between layers of pigment.

Shoes! In varied stages of completion. by Lhia, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 08:52:20 PM by Lhianneth »

Offline SaelaVe

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • Dawn of the Dance
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 10:36:59 AM »
Do you prime the plastic with something before painting?  What do you use as a final sealant?
I have primed and sealed with both MSC and Liquitex varnishes.  In my experience, the Liquitex (while safer and easier to get a hold of and use) is not as strong as MSC and can pose problems later on.  Vinyl accessories sealed with Liquitex have become tacky over time and yellowed—which is especially peculiar considering that Liquitex is a non-yellowing formula.  Whereas those sealed with MSC are not tacky and have retained a nice matte finish with no discoloration.
I have heard good things about DuraClear brush-on varnish, but I've never tried it myself.

I use acrylic paints for all of my accessories.

Not in my experience.  But, like Lhia, I don't paint any part of the accessory that's going to come into contact with the doll (interior of shoes, backs of necklaces, etc.).

It's possible; and I think that it has a lot to do with what sealant you use. 
I paint doll fingernails the same way that I paint accessories—with acrylic paints and sealed with Liquitex varnish.  I have had a lot of issues with my dolls' fingernails chipping and flaking as I play with them.  Simply bumping their fingertips against another doll or accessory or furniture item causes the paint to flake off.  And this is after applying three layers of sealant and waiting the recommended three-hours between applying each layer.
In contrast, I have a pair of Hunter Huntsman boots that I painted four years ago and sealed with MSC.  I let my daughter play with them since she has so few boy shoes, and the paint has have never cracked, chipped, or rubbed off, even in the hands of a kiddo.

Paintbrushes in various sizes.  Invest in a good set of high-quality brushes—especially fine-tip brushes for detail painting.  They will make all the difference in the world and save you a lot of time and frustration.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 10:41:10 AM by SaelaVe »

Offline ReversedUser

• Creative Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 11:30:22 AM »
Yep! I use Testors Dullcote as both the primer and the sealant because it's easier for me to get than MSC. I haven't had any problems with it.

Acrylic paints for the most part. I just use the stuff I get at craft stores. Apple Barrel and whatnot.

It shouldn't if you seal it correctly, but like others have stated I don't usually paint the parts that touch the doll. This goes for whether or not it will scratch off too.

I use regular paint brushes from the craft store (hobby lobby, Michael's, etc). They came in a pack of differing sizes. I also have some brushes for detail work and whatnot. I'd go for higher quality, they'll last you longer.

There's a masterpost in the customs thread with a section devoted to repainting accessories, I took a lot of cues from that and a couple I found on my own I like this one in particular

any other tips?
- Remember to water down your paint and work in thin layers. I have way better results when I do this rather than just using the paint as is. I think it helps set into the details without covering them.
- Invest in some wooden dowels. You can hang shoes from them while they dry without having to worry about the paint rubbing off. I also use they when I spray.