collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 29
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Calendar

October 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

Author Topic: Need Help With My First Dress  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Monster Hunter
  • "there are tiny squishy MH tiny people"
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
Need Help With My First Dress
« on: April 26, 2017, 04:53:05 PM »
I got a Hujoo glow in the dark Freyja not too long ago, and absolute LOVE HER! Her eyes on on their way and in the meantime, I've been wanting to make her a dress.

I've sewn some stuffed animals, a rag doll, and a jacket for the ragdoll, but I've never sewn a dress. I have an idea in mind already.
I just got back from the store and got two fabrics- One is a seafoam green silk, which I want to make the "whole" dress out of, and one is a see-through kind of almost meshy glittery blue fabric. I want to use that to make a ruffled overskirt for the base of the dress.

After forever of sifting through millions of -just- wedding dresses (not all dresses are for weddings, dammit! >:c ) I found this photo which is extremely close to what I'm going for.
Thin layer of the meshy see-through stuff on top but ruffled like that so it's kind of flowy, and the "base" dress will be the seafoam silk.

I was wondering if anyone could help me find some nice patterns or give me tips and advice on how to do this. Also, she has a tail, and I'd like to make a hole in the back for it but don't want it to look crappy like I know it will if I just wing it by myself.
I don't need exact sized dresses or anything, just a good nice pattern with maybe some how-to guidance or some tips from you guys on how to go about it, because otherwise I can pretty much adjust the sizing to my need on my own.

If any of this makes sense...
I'm sorry if my words aren't clear at all, I'm not too experienced in sewing clothes like, at all, lol.

Thanks for any and all help!

Post Merge: April 26, 2017, 07:04:00 PM

Also, I'm really glad I didn't spend more than like $1 on this silky fabric, because I knew I might have issues with it, but I cannot do ANYTHING with it. I've tried to make two test-run simple mini dresses so far just to make sure I can work with this stuff and I CAN NOT.

All this crap does is fray. Every single little movement just makes it unravel and it's driving me insane. My stitches even came out because my teeny tiny tug on the thread pulled it apart so much it unraveled. Lots of terrible things have been said by me to this yard of fabric. xD

Does anyone have any tips on how to fix this? So glad I only spent $1 on it. (It was $1 a yard)
I might say screw this and just go back and get some sturdier fabric later on.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:04:00 PM by Esbayne »
Also Esbayne on the MLP Arena, PonyIsland, and pretty much everywhere else.

:kitty:

Offline Quillette

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Beast Friends
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help With My First Dress
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 07:44:44 PM »
I can't give much advice on patterns as I usually make up my own, fitting it to the doll's body, and that process for me is hard to explain. Maybe you will have some luck on etsy.

For a tail hole, just leave a long enough back closure of the dress to go under the tail and then have the zipper or Velcro or snaps start just above the tail.

As for your fraying fabric, silky fabric is notoriously hard to work with. To stop the fraying, I suggest you buy a bottle of Fray Check. Most sewing stores have it in there notion section. After you cut out your fabric pieces, carefully go over your edges with the Fray Check and let dry. The stuff can discolor your material a little, so it's best to draw a thin line that won't show past your seam line. I use the stuff on all my doll clothes projects.

Offline DogMom

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • MIB Signature Toralei
  • Dog hairs are scent delivery mechanisms.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 08:25:45 PM »
Hi Esbayne,
What an adorable first dress for your girl!

I'm not familiar with what kind of tail the Freya has...can you post a pic?

My tips:

* Make a 'practice dress' out of plain cotton fabric before you use your 'real' fabric. Called a 'muslin' because you typically use plain muslin fabric, it's easier to work with and you can sort out all your adjustments and fitting issues.

* Find some other dollie clothes you like, even parts you like, and take them apart to use as patterns. Trace onto paper or even muslin fabric.

* I think a sheer wrap overskirt or apron would be nice...ties around the waist, and you can leave the back open to accommodate the tail, and you can get the look without having to sew an overskirt into the dress.

Do post WIP pics!
Lisa
"Inescapable change is for puny mortals."     ~Nemesis

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Monster Hunter
  • "there are tiny squishy MH tiny people"
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 03:23:29 AM »
Thank you both for your input! I asked my boyfriend's stepmom what she thought aswell, because she also sews, and she said she doesn't even touch "that satin crap" because it's so hard to work with. xD She said it's definitely not a good thing to try to make my first dress with, and I should go back and get a different, sturdier fabric and I agreed.

Once I do, I'll definitely post pics!
Also Esbayne on the MLP Arena, PonyIsland, and pretty much everywhere else.

:kitty:

Offline Shahaila

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • MIB Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 06:49:57 AM »
Hi Esbayne, not sure if you got his resolved or not but this is what I would do:

(1) For the top I would use the pattern from the DG Requiem Pajama pack (I use that one a lot for the dresses I make), you can also elongate the top to make it wait length (and glue ribbon at the skirt/tope seam and add the bow); or

(2) Cut a waistband of whatever desired length to get the torso look that you might need (I also do this frequently with the dresses I make).  You could affix the bow to the waistband at the end to get the look of the picture.  If you use this option then sew the skirt part of your dress on first before sewing this to the top of the dress.

(3) for the skirt I would cut a circle skirt (I often times use dinner plates to create a pattern  XD) and then cut the center circle to where it is not in the middle but more to the front to get the uneven hem.  Also cut the center circle larger than you need so you can gather it to the get the flowy full look.  The larger the center circle the more gathered it will be.  Add whatever trim you are using on the skirt before you gather it.

Hope this helps.

"I have no particular talent,
I am passionately inquisitive" Albert Einstein